What was you most powerful Attack vs. Supervillian???

TheQuestionMan

Re: What was you most powerful Attack vs. Supervillian???

Even with 75% damage reduction' date=' it still requires 50 DEF and a brick level stun total to survive that(over 70). And to me, that's just WAY out of balance. But then, I see a lot of people post stuff like this and just shake my head. I suppose I should know by now, especially on a thread like this, that the numbers are going to be way beyond the necessary or the realistic, but still.[/quote']

Dude. You play your way. Things can be balanced at a high or a low level.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Champsguy

Even with 75% damage reduction' date=' it still requires 50 DEF and a brick level stun total to survive that(over 70). And to me, that's just WAY out of balance. But then, I see a lot of people post stuff like this and just shake my head. I suppose I should know by now, especially on a thread like this, that the numbers are going to be way beyond the necessary or the realistic, but still.[/quote']

Realistic? You're talking about a game where people fly because they want to, and shoot x-ray lasers out of their eyes because they feel like it. When does "realistic" even enter the equation?

And yeah, we've fought bricks with 75% reduction. So what?

Well, I've been in a couple of campaigns with people throwing around power on that level, but I've never seen anyone balance it remotely. Maybe you're the exception. I don't really want to get into this conversation for the umpteenth time on these boards so let's just agree to disagree, like Lemming suggested, and move on on that score.

As for the "realistic" thing. I think I'll quote Kristopher's signature: "It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another to hang it by the neck until dead." Comic book universes, to me, still need to make sense and need to have a certain upper power limit to make the stories believable. DC Comics pushes the envelope as it is with Superman, Green Lantern and several others (no surprise that Batman is one of my favorite DC heroes). My general rule of thumb is that anyone significantly more powerful than Thor should be extremely rare - and a bad guy. About the only exception I make is for Doc Strange/ubermystics since half of the "villains" in their books are practically gods. Even then, it needs to be kept reined in as much as possible.

I honestly don't recall the dice damage done, but I recall my speedster running (desolid) through the door to an apartment; on the other side was a bad guy/Mercenary named Armor of Allah. My speedster hit the poor suprised bastard from behind, moving at around 30", with a +6HA. The impact of the move through carried us both through the re-enforced plate glass window (on the 30th floor). I believe he was unconscious before he even started falling. Luckily for my speedster, he had a gliding special effect tied to his desolid...Armor of Allah wasn't so lucky.

:slap:

A con game many years ago featured a WWII team of international heroes. One of which was an American semi-brick using a metal bat to enhance his baseball theme. We were fighting a bunch of renegade Russian metas who were annoying the hell out of us.

After much effort, a couple of us maneuvered the enemy speedster to the edge of a cliff and positioned him so that the semi-brick with the metal bat could Push a Haymaker with his BATTER-UP!! attack. Of course, the brick missed his attack and nearly spun himself off the cliff with the force of his whiff.

So, we ran around corralling the speedster again, and positioned him for the Pushed Haymaker. With a successful attack, we informed the GM of the 20+d6 of damage that was done. The GM gleefully reminded us of the speedster's rapid recovery from Stunned ability. We gleefully reminded him of the high cliff and invited him to roll the falling damage.

The poor low-PD speedster ended up with something close to 40d6 total damage from the attack and fall (our estimation). Much to our disappointment, the GM didn't actually roll the extra damage, and merely admitted that the speedster was out cold for a long time, and broken and bleeding even if/when he woke up.

this is from a 500 point (avrg) game.

well i have a strange vpp that has a variable pool size. Bascically i roll on a skill and for every one i make the roll by i get 10 active points of power. My charatcer a time controlling avatar of cronos can take extra phases by paying end; one of the bonuses of this is that when i do this i get massive ammounts of levels. The skill for using the vpp was based on ego, you can probably see where this is going.

all hypothetical till i spring this on the gm....cant wait to see the expression on his face when i hit destroyer.

One day miffed at his inability to even scratch a villan with his martial arts(which are quite powerfull for the campaing anyway) the intrepid hero aids his ego using the vpp for 10d6. His roll for the skill (ego based) goes up and he does it again getting an even higher power roll which in turn boosts his ego and the roll used to use the vpp. By this point the gm is looking a little mistified. I roll the skill again and suddenly have around 250 points of power to do as i wish with....i use it all for martial arts dc's which incidentally cost no end :) (yes i probably shouldnt be able to do this but my character is so broken in many respects). I forget to mention that i have an autofire 5 shots martial arts manouvre and 22 ocv. Suposing i hit with all 5 (costs me 5 end per hit) 68 d6 five times. splat

as far as my actual biggest attack in reality....a 22d6 martial manouvre (against someone on our side in a training session). The recipient wasnt even scratched, he then proceded to find weakness on me twice and hit me with his 85 strength straight through some reinforced concrete walls, layered forcefields and the like.

First' date=' I didn't read all of the ones prior to me.[/quote']

That's not a problem. It's just that the other post was so close, I'd thought you'd have seen it.

Second' date=' I hate to say it, but I've seen numerous people insist that Superman should have 150+ STR, which I don't agree with it at all. But I've seen numbers like that enough that it doesn't suprise me. 330 STUN would require 90-100 dice of normal damage though.[/quote']

Yeah, I was very surprised when I first joined about the levels people play and the XP handed out. The group I gamed with for four-five years the max XP I think I had was 67 (in a 250 game). I come here and people have games starting out at 500 and others with Cosmic Level. (Just read any related post of Champsguy and you'll see a very high-end game. He has something like 3+ PCs in his group that have 100+ STR.)

BTW: Does anyone notice that the penalties to hit with a non-com move through would basically require you to roll a natural 3?

Skill levels, man, skill levels! Though I do notice this, because in the campaign I'm running, two PCs have 25" of flight, the brick likes to do move-throughs, but has no levels, so he generally has to get a 5- (or less!) to hit some opponents.

Skill levels, man, skill levels! Though I do notice this, because in the campaign I'm running, two PCs have 25" of flight, the brick likes to do move-throughs, but has no levels, so he generally has to get a 5- (or less!) to hit some opponents.

Um, yes, your base OCV is 0 and there is that nasty penalty for veloctiy which, while it can't give you a negative OCV can eat up all your skill levels. So a 0 OCV needs a 3 to hit anyone with a DCV of 8 or better. If the guy isn't pinned, down, or restrained somehow...well, good luck, you're gonna need it.

The XP in our campaign is 3-4 per night. We start at 25 points over the average. So the latest group started at 375 and is now approaching 450, and with our power scale, I can make Carnage(Cletus Kasady from Marvel Comics) on about 425, not that he has any noncombat skills or anything.

Um' date=' yes, your base OCV is 0 and there is that nasty penalty for veloctiy which, while it can't give you a negative OCV can eat up all your skill levels. So a 0 OCV needs a 3 to hit anyone with a DCV of 8 or better. If the guy isn't pinned, down, or restrained somehow...well, good luck, you're gonna need it.[/quote']

:think: I'm not sure where you get the "base OCV is 0" idea, because that isn't the rule. Your OCV is -v/5. In this case, the PC's base OCV is 7, with a velocity of 25"/5, that gives him a -5, or new OCV of 2.

LOOKING THROUGH BOOK & CHARACTER SHEET: Actually, this PC does have levels (+1 all combat, +3 HtH), so his OCV is 6, instead of his usual 11. It is the Energy Projector that doesn't have any skill levels :nonp: (though I've suggested she buy some).

The only place I can find a "starts with a 0 OCV " is if a character is trying to do a move-through with Xtra Dim, FTL, Telport or any Megascale, where you have to go Noncom + use with another movement form (FREd, p. 259). Maybe you have that confused with something?

Anyway, my comment was "yes" I do notice that Move-throughs lower your OCV, but the "skill levels" comment was saying that's how you can avoid those big negatives. :)

Oh well. :straight:

:think: I'm not sure where you get the "base OCV is 0" idea' date=' because that isn't the rule. [/quote']

Actually, I was still talking about those non-combat move throughs. And 5th edition specifically states in the move through maneuver description(p.259) that characters performing noncombat move throughs start with a 0 OCV before other modifiers are applied.

In the current campaign? A 24d6 Move Thru performed on Holocaust (CKC) by Sting, our "Bouncing Boy", with both his Flight and STR at full power (he's an absorber; PD attacks go to STR and ED attacks go to Flight), and his STR pushed.

Ever, in an actual campaign? 15d6 RKA, AE: Cone. Don't ask, this was during the days when we were first figuring the system out...

Actually' date=' I was still talking about those non-combat move throughs. And 5th edition specifically states in the move through maneuver description(p.259) that characters performing noncombat move throughs start with a 0 OCV before other modifiers are applied.[/quote']

Hmm, okay; however, it might be better if you clarify that your changing the context of the post quoted. Since you quoted me talking about a standard move-through attack, I had no reason to realize you were responding about a non-com move-through attack I didn't mention. Also, if you notice, two paragraphs down, I mentioned the part that you're talking about in this above quote.

Unless of course you're just wanting the last word in on a debate I wasn't aware we were supposed to be having, then you can just quote me and post something like "last words" and that will be that. :D

Actually, if you go back, you made this comment in response to my statement that "Did anyone notice that these noncombat move throughs would probably require a 3 to hit"? So you're the one that didn't clarify the context.

So when you stated that you didn't understand where I got the 0 OCV rule from unless it had to do with the noncombat/megascale rule, I felt that I should confirm that yes, it was the non-combat rule I was talking about.

So we weren't having a debate, we were just agreeing with each other in a really round about, messy way. :D

Yeah, well, if you don't read back-to-back & related posts, then, well, I don't have to read every word in a post. Yeah! So, there! Ha! :nya:

:bmk::dh: Die, horse die!

Okay, I'll shut up now, since I need to go to sleep.

:hush:

Guest Champsguy

I get the feeling Champsguy & I should go off to a different thread. :D

I know. I'm afraid our group would break some of these characters by sneezing hard. :D

Yeah, you two definitely play a much higher power level than I usually do. Of course, the version of Proteus I'm using now is watered down, since this is a street level game. The original could(and in fact DID) survive the equivalent of a ground zero nuclear bomb explosion. But I usually played nice so I stayed in balance with the other characters.

The XP in our campaign is 3-4 per night. We start at 25 points over the average. So the latest group started at 375 and is now approaching 450' date=' and with our power scale, I can make Carnage(Cletus Kasady from Marvel Comics) on about 425, not that he has any noncombat skills or anything.[/quote']

That's OK. I can't think of any skills he's got other than combat.

Apparently' date=' or they'd have mentioned his impact vaporizing the sucker. He's still taking like 3975 Body so he's outa luck there regardless.[/quote']

The GM never spelled out what happened to the mountain, but if I had been the GM, the mountain and the bad guy would both be splatterbang.

- Cap

In this campaign, we came up with rules saying that if your attack was big, you had caps for your OCV. Low attack, you could have a high OCV. Even the GM was beholden to these rules, which I was ok with.

Enter my villain. He's a robot. Similar to Ankylosaur, he has a tail that can whip around and knock someone silly. But wait, it's big, so its OCV has to be low. No problem, says the GM. He's also got a 1 hex AE Entangle, Entangle and Character Both Take Damage. Squirt, the target is now DCV 3, and hittable by the big nasty tail. I just could not wait to wail on someone.

Well, I had a player in my game playing the "Pink Ninja," a deadly assassin who had a double-bladed katana (the blades next to each other) of 3d6 HKA (4d6 w/ STR) and, as it turns out, a bike that could go Mach 1.5.

Pink Ninja takes one look at the robot and figures out somehow (perhaps my body language?) that it's going to tear someone a new bunghole. So he revs up his bike, holds out his sword, and punches it, a la Jackie Chan in Rumble In The Bronx. Of course, the sword can only do a maximum of 6d6, but it's enough to stun the robot, and of course everyone else jumps on it and destroys it.

But wait, it's not over. Pink Ninja now must make a Combat Driving roll to stay steady at Mach 1.5 after having just performed this little gem of a maneuver. What should the negative be, anyway, when you're going Mach 1.5 on a two-wheeled vehicle, you stick a sword out the window, and you hit something? -10? -20?

I settled on -10, and of course he failed, and crashed his motorcycle at Mach 1.5. Without, I might add, the benefit of a helmet or biking leathers. Bad safety, Pink Ninja. Bad.

Let's look at this, shall we?

Mach 1.5 equals 1,112.182 miles per hour; 1,789.884 kilometers per hour; 894,942 hexes per hour; 2,983.14 Hexes per Turn, and more importantly, 249 Hexes per Segment, and 249d6 (not all at once... he bounced, skipped, was stopped here and there by people, fire hydrants, cement poles, cars, that sort of thing) .

Henceforth, the Pink Ninja became known as the Pink Smear, and the day was saved. Yay, Pink Ninjasmear, for killing my great plot device along with yourself. :mad:

Now, if that math is correct, the guy who flew into the mountain at Mach 4 would have been going 2965.82 mph, 4773.024 kph, 7955.04 Hexes per Turn, and 663 Hexes per Segment. I think I goofed last time and based his damage on Hexes per Turn. So let's hear it for the lucky Superbaddie... he took 663d6 instead of 7,955d6, for an average of 2,320 STUN and 663 BODY.

- Captain Pants

Now, if that math is correct, the guy who flew into the mountain at Mach 4 would have been going 2965.82 mph, 4773.024 kph, 7955.04 Hexes per Turn, and 663 Hexes per Segment. I think I goofed last time and based his damage on Hexes per Turn. So let's hear it for the lucky Superbaddie... he took 663d6 instead of 7,955d6, for an average of 2,320 STUN and 663 BODY.

- Captain Pants

Oh, well, that's fine then. I'm sure he can walk that off or rub some dirt in it or something.

Oh' date=' well, that's fine then. I'm sure he can walk that off or rub some dirt in it or something.[/quote']

Funny thing is... I'n betting there are some characters, with the right amount of BODY, PD, and Damage Reduction, that could survive that.

Maybe.

I think....

I'm drawing a blank on any major damage I dished out on the bad guys, although I recall Force Majure rolling a '3' and doing a critical hit on a villain (his 12d6 attack became a 24d6 attack). I also smacked a PC for 30d6, doing 36 BODY, 120 STUN, and 24+ inches of Knockback. The PC got better.