What was you most powerful Attack vs. Supervillian???

TheQuestionMan

Re: What was you most powerful Attack vs. Supervillian???

See, all our campaigns have a max 30d6 cap on just about everything. Its happened a couple of times. The one I particularly remember is my (what we called) Vertigo campaign character, Damnation, putting her forcefield around a chunk of wall, and using her strength, and flight to do a fully pushed move through on the big demi-god we were fighting. Really took the fight out of him, but didn't put him down. A couple of hits from my comrades, Trinity and Ascension, did the trick...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's character Celestica was a "human torpedo" -- a flying brick who loved Move Throughs.

The city is being attacked by a 400-foot Kaiju monster and our most powerful attacks are useless. So Celestica flies away to get a nice head of steam, comes in a full non-combat speed (yeah, we know about the 0 OCV thing; the monster was so big that it didn't really matter) and plowed into the thing.

Let's see... she was moving at something like 124", and had a 60 STR... that's something like 53d6... average 160 STUN 53 BODY.

The funniest part of it was that she actually managed to do 1-2" of KB, so she only took half damage! It was still plenty to KO her. And no, unfortunately she did not KO the monster. :lol:

Bill.

My group dropped the Mir space station from orbit on a villain. I don't remember the amount of dice rolled but I remember it took two people to roll them. Of course' date=' the resultant explosion got us banned from Peru for life.[/quote']

Hrm, that's 250 tons if the shuttle was attached to it at the time, not to mention the velocity it would have (30" unless someone was accelerating it somehow). Then you could also add all the ambient heat it would have generated with its non-aerodynamic, non-heatshielded sides as it burned through the atmosphere.

Yep, that would hurt.

- Cap

lets see--my most damaging attack--cumulative, was a 6d6 hth ka (x10 autofire) that rolled a three (our default rule at the time was a three indicated maximum damage for both dice and stun multiplier, and added one to the number of autofire atatcks that should hit for that number. I had 8 attacks hit IIRC. 36 body, 180 stun each x8= 288 Body1440 Stun.

Then the vulnerability kicked in (the target was an unstable clone of my cosmic power pooler who had a vulnerability to hth ka's) 1.5 stun and body. I am not going to coutn that, because vulnerabilities shouldn't count for this thread, but still...ouch.

Sure, his defenses were good..but the team mage had just hit with a nasty Supress Resistant PD spell. Zero resistant defense at the time, and his damage reduction was in energy mode at the time. He had a GM addition, a multipower of damage reduction to reflect his ability to resist any attack he was prepared for as an enhancement to the clone, and he picked the wrong mode.

Best part, what was left of my power pool went into images to highten the sound effects of the punch. My presence attack afterwards rated high on the violent action modifier. I thinkthe GM's words were like "the minions fall to their knees..some in fear, some in worship of their new master, some are throwing up'. Doesn't matter, none of them are fighting anymore". and some of the other villains chose that moment to reconsider their life options.

The folowing doesn't really count, as it was sort of a gM fiat, be it's in the spirit of the thread.

--in a high power campaign, their was a missle reflector who had the ability to delay relfection (ie, he could accumulate a variety of shots and fire them back later). The character was put into some strange form of coma by an attack. (He wanted to try another character for a bit)

One game, the group captured an artifact that the team scientist figured might affect the comatose body and his power and one day wake him up. So every so often we would open up his stasis chamber, and zap him a few times. He was like a human stress ball/dart board, and a great running gag. We occasionally strung him up in the dangeroom for good luck, or just left him in their with the room running if we were bored.

He was hit with about 6 months worth of accumulated attacks.

Then we had the adventure against the big bad ingerlactitc entity. Said bad guy who was lured into base to gloat over our feigned defeat, surrender (well, the defeat wasn't so feigned, he was kicking our heinies). The owner of the comatose PC (who had planned to go back to that PC eventually) had an idea. He taunted said entity to unleashing his Bolt of PC frying doom into his current character and fried he was..went right through him to the comatose PC, who the GM in a fit of pity decided the character instantly awoke, and returned the attack. We then asked "hey, what about all the other attacks we were hitting him with". The GM, caught up in the moment, said sure, why not. He said the artifact alllowed the exmeption about holding the attacks.

It took a lot of estimating. We even assumed average damage on the normal attacks. Peversely, we rolled most of the killing attacks. (Yes, we shot out comatose friend with Killing attacks. We were just trying to help him :sneaky: )

The GM later admitted he had another session planned where we escaped and found the artifact of entity smashing, but he decided he liked our method just as well. I can't recall the attacks to this day, but it was comprised of hundereds (eac) of energy blasts, killing attacks, NND's, AVLD's, from characters ranging from 500 to 600 points.

Plus the bolt of doom, which was absurd. Dr Destroyer on steroids absurd. Tough Superheroes die in one blast absurd.

It was very comic-bookish. Not much to do with the rules, but we had a blast. (no pun intended).

My group dropped the Mir space station from orbit on a villain. I don't remember the amount of dice rolled but I remember it took two people to roll them. Of course' date=' the resultant explosion got us banned from Peru for life.[/quote']

Mir station.

:jawdrop:

well, if there ever was a time to rip off Aliens 2...... "I say we drop a space station from orbit. Only way to be sure"

Hmm, that might have stung a little bit. In a 4 color campaign, you could say it was the blunt end of the space station and it only did normal damage :P

I've never hit very hard but I've had some incredibly effective attacks. One in particular comes to mind.

Our GM had us fighting a magic based villian sorcerous. She was not an easy fight by any stretch and had pushed our whole team to the limit in our previous encounter and I wanted to end it fast. So in a great KoDT moment I said "I do an aimed shot for he neck!" while she was going on her typical "Me villian me superior" spiel.

The GM decided to let me do it but on one condition. When the numbers came down the pipe it was going to take a 3 to hit the specified target, and a miss would be very bad for me.

I agreed and threw my ax(Catacomb is an undead wolverine type with an ax. I say he's cool but going even one session without the 'Spawn' analogy is tough even though my character hasbeen around since MSH back in the late 80s...damn Macfarlane) which is a 4 1/2 die AP killing attack, rolled the dice and it came up 3. Not only was my attack a success but my damage roll was amazing as well, and since my ax had been established as 'magic' her defenses were lessened against me.

Off with her head. Good times.

Hardest shot I've ever seen was done by the Juggernaught against our resident brick, Vector. He has the overconfidence flaw and its total so he has a bad habit of giving other bricks the first shot against him. It was a Juggernaught charge... What was more amazing than the damage was that Vector walked away from it. I don't remember what it was exactly I just know I rolled a full brick of dice(Reformatted and lost alot of my character builds.).

Pretty damn cool.

Funny thing is... I'n betting there are some characters, with the right amount of BODY, PD, and Damage Reduction, that could survive that.

Maybe.

I think....

Mmm, I don't think I want to fight anything with THAT much Body. Hell, I remember this one elaborate time-travel arc where the group of PCs and assorted NPCs stumbled across an Elder Worm Crawler from the Seven Horseman module. Despite the thing's 47 Body, it wound up facing a group where 80%+ had fire/heat RKAs that it had x2 Vuln to. It was vapor in one phase.

Guest Champsguy

Superskrull reminded me of something today. This wasn't my attack, but another guy in our group did this. It was really a non-combat thing, and it wasn't against a supervillain.

An unknown alien force had just transmuted our solar system into a giant Dyson Sphere. We weren't really happy at that occurrence, so we decided to take our toys and go home, or at least to break stuff if the toys weren't ours. Trying to determine if there were any way we could get out of the sphere, we came up with a plan. While hovering many miles above the surface, the transmuter on the team created a 25K ton hunk of neutronium, just enough so that our 100 Str brick, Con-El, could barely pick it up. Con-El then grabbed the spike-shaped chunk of heavy, and accellerated towards the Dyson Sphere as fast as he could (somewhere in the Mach 100 range). I don't remember the exact dice damage that that attack did. Regardless, it blew out a chunk of the sphere that Jupiter could have passed through. After seeing the effects of that move, we decided we probably shouldn't do that again.

Damn aliens ended up just sealing it back, though.

• 5 years later...

The PC tried to get away from the plane because he knew that the explosives were due to go off. But the Nazis held him where he was so the PC was standing next to one of the planes since they started to explode. The character had a 25/25 force field that he immediately threw up. I decided that all of the mines exploded but we would deal with damage one at a time and I also was kind enough to rule that his force field stayed up during all of the explosions even though he was technically unconscious. He wound up at -5 Body and -276 Stun and the knockback buried him in the side of a cliff. I know I hand waved a lot of things but it was a fun game and it still comes up over 15 years later.

Old school, 1st edition. Knock off of Quicksilver. Move through on Dr. Doom knock off. 50" velocity, pushed to 55", 20 Str pushed to 30 Str, +8d6 hth attack pushed to +10d6...

34d6+1.

In my campaign, it was the brick with 100str, doing a pushed str leaping haymaker.

22" leap for 7d6+1, plus 33d6 haymaker.

Our early campaigns when the game came out had no guidelines. We developed our own our of a need to keep villians alive.

Same here.

Let me tell you all the story of the time my brick defeated Durak.

Now this was years ago, I don't have the character sheet anymore, and the GM was notorious for coming up with his own stats for Champions villains, so it will be a little on the vague side. However, best as I remember, here is what happened:

My character, Gauntlet, had just managed to get Durak in a Grab. The GM rolled poorly, and I rolled well, so I actually managed to hold him. The GM made sure to tell me how Durak was shrugging off my Grab, soon to turn and kill me and my team, and I believed him. Fortunately, I had DEX on him.

"I, ummm, errrr, throw him straight up, hard as I can!" I said.

GM thinks a moment and allows this.

"Where's he going to hit?" I asked.

"You'll need an INT check at -2 to figure that, " the GM responded gleefully.

"You and the other players mocked me, mocked me for sinking points into INT for my brick, " I replied, "and here is where it pays off."

One laughably easy INT check later, Durak is plummeting to earth, with Gauntlet winding up a Haymaker to land as he hits.

Yes, as he hits. Yes, I'm coordinating attacks with MYSELF.

One successful Haymaker as Durak's head hits the concrete later, and the GM glumly reports that Durak is... CON Stunned. Perhaps he expected that this further proof of Durak's toughness would cause us to flee. However, terror had faded as I realized I now had a viable tactic, and like all viable tactics against more powerful villains, must be ruthlessly exploited, nay, beaten to death with a rock.

"I do it again as he Recovers, " I said, "and I'll keep doing it 'till he's at GM's discretion, unless he has some sort of special move to stop me."

I will never forget the look on the GM's face.

Next time we fought Durak, he had a rocket belt. Which, first thing, we broke. Don't think we fought him after that...

I had a Brick called Juggernaught (A human/Demon hybrid) that used one like that as a finisher...I called it my Vollyball serve!