Heat Vision

Dust Raven

Re: Heat Vision

I am entirely in favor of this being a Power Stunt as long as it doesn't get overused. I also like the "Or Else" Maneuver. However (with Heat Vision I being the normal attack):

Heat Vision II: RKA 1d6, Damage Shield (+1/2), Ranged (+1/2), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Usable As Attack (+1) (67 Active Points)

Power can be turned off by dunking the item in water or similar things. I imagine that you could also get a Limitation for Only Affects Non-Flammable Objects With Good Heat Conductivity (metal objects work well, for example).

I'd generally allow the holder of the weapon to choose to drop it as a zero phase action, since that's usually the point of the attack.

Ugh, that may generate the desired effect, but is so cumbersome to develop in the system. Not to mention, all those advantages cranking up the cost on something that isn't often as good as just using a regular RKA on someone.

Isn't "Or Else" just an application of Covered? You make your to-hit roll and the damage is guaranteed - but delayed until you want it to go off... ?

I guess the attack would have to be Continuous to fit the effect. I'm talking off the top of my head so there are likely to be holes in this approach - fire away!

Personally I'd probably ask you to use Power Skill for these special effects' date=' it's a good opportunity to put it to use and experiment with it.[/quote']

If the SFX is "they drop their weapon" then I would't use a Power Skill for that, as you can do that with an attack already. To try and "heat" and item so that it somehow causes different kind of damage, or "damages with out obvious marks" or something... ok, then we are talking Power Skill.

If the SFX is "they drop their weapon" then I would't use a Power Skill for that' date=' as you can do that with an attack already. To try and "heat" and item so that it somehow causes different kind of damage, or "damages with out obvious marks" or something... ok, then we are talking Power Skill.[/quote']

Good point, I agree as I think about it, as Disarm is of course a regular maneuver as you mention.

How's this for an example:

Superman's Heatvision

120 Heat Vision Multipower Reserve

• Pinpoint-Cutting

8u RKA 2d6[30 active] Armor Piercing(+1/2) Continuous(+1) IPE*[normal sight, Hearing Group](+1/2) Penetrating x2(+1) No Knockback(-1/2) End 12

• Hot-Foot

8u EB 6d6 NND(+1) Indirect(+1/2) Continuous(+1) IPE*(+1/2) No Knockback (-1/2) [indirect only via a heat conductive material in contact with target](-0) End 12

• Burst-Attack

8u EB 16d6 IPE*(+1/2) No Knockback(-1/2) End 12

24 8 levels with Heat Vision

Total Cost=168 (not counting any kryptonian limitations)

HM

Ugh' date=' that may generate the desired effect, but is so cumbersome to develop in the system. Not to mention, all those advantages cranking up the cost on something that isn't often as good as just using a regular RKA on someone.[/quote']

To your first point: Feh, have you seen the Skunk write up in HSB? :)

One thing I certainly don't have a problem with, myself, is creating a Power that gets just the right effect, and then describing it for anyone who doesn't want to deal with the write up, much as is done in the actual published materials. In this case, you have the above write up, and then also have a short paragraph describing the effect.

Description: By using his Heat Vision on an enemy's weapon, the character can heat the target so greatly that it will cause damage if held on to. If it is not dropped immediately, the weapon's holder will take 1d6 of Killing Damage to his hand or hands. For every 7 END paid, this effect will last one Phase.

Or something like that. Then just buy the Power (probably around 40 points after Limitations) and call it Heat Vision II, since you know what that means when used.

To the second point: That's why we have Power Frameworks.

Isn't "Or Else" just an application of Covered? You make your to-hit roll and the damage is guaranteed - but delayed until you want it to go off... ?

I guess the attack would have to be Continuous to fit the effect. I'm talking off the top of my head so there are likely to be holes in this approach - fire away!

It is kinda like Covered, in that the hit roll is made and the damage is conditional (You can break out of being Covered). But, it doesn't have a -2 OCV (although, maybe it should have) and the condition of avoiding the damage comes from doing an action that logically avoids the damage. Dropping the gun, stripping off the clothes, etc.

It may not be play-balanced but it definately allows the players more options, and that's usually better.

Don't forget gradual effect or extra time. The guns don't usually insta-heat.

They do in the comics. Typically it looks like it takes some time, but nobody does anything during that time. Even the bad guy just stands there as the gun heats up, then yells "ouch" and drops it. I'd call that something a character can do with a single attack (no more than a full phase, or a 1+1 phase action).

How's this for an example:

Superman's Heatvision

120 Heat Vision Multipower Reserve

• Pinpoint-Cutting

8u RKA 2d6[30 active] Armor Piercing(+1/2) Continuous(+1) IPE*[normal sight, Hearing Group](+1/2) Penetrating x2(+1) No Knockback(-1/2) End 12

• Hot-Foot

8u EB 6d6 NND(+1) Indirect(+1/2) Continuous(+1) IPE*(+1/2) No Knockback (-1/2) [indirect only via a heat conductive material in contact with target](-0) End 12

• Burst-Attack

8u EB 16d6 IPE*(+1/2) No Knockback(-1/2) End 12

24 8 levels with Heat Vision

Total Cost=168 (not counting any kryptonian limitations)

HM

I don't mean to be picky, but Continuous shouldn't apply here. Continuous would mean Superman can start pin-point cutting the wall on the left, and while he's cutting a whole in it, he can start cutting another hole in the wall on the right (at the same time!). Now, I know Superman is fast, but I don't recall him ever going crosseyed to continuously burn things on opposite ends of the room.

I know how you'd get confused though. It took me a while to realize that "continuing a constant attack" is just making another attack roll the next Phase, not a Contunuous advantage. And that's constant in real-life speak, not a game term.

Our group has an optional manuever called "Or else".

I like this. I might borrow this for a few session and see how it goes. I don't like the idea of just letting loose with it, however, and I'd probably allow it's use with a penalty to OCV (probably only a -1, maybe a -2). I might need to think about handling the cases when the target doesn't "ore else." Afterall, if his clothes are actually on fire, they'd stay that way for a while, but shouldn't.

I don't mean to be picky, but Continuous shouldn't apply here. Continuous would mean Superman can start pin-point cutting the wall on the left, and while he's cutting a whole in it, he can start cutting another hole in the wall on the right (at the same time!). Now, I know Superman is fast, but I don't recall him ever going crosseyed to continuously burn things on opposite ends of the room.

I know how you'd get confused though. It took me a while to realize that "continuing a constant attack" is just making another attack roll the next Phase, not a Contunuous advantage. And that's constant in real-life speak, not a game term.

I disagree somewhat. Continuous is appropriate in Superman's case since all he has to do is maintain eye contact with his target once he 'hits'. It would take an additional Uncontrolled advantage to use a 'Heat-Vision' Power against another target simultaneously the next phase. Taking a 'Lockout' limitation on the slots in question with regard to other uses of the multipower might be appropriate. However, I have seen comics where Superman is fighting an extremely tough opponent and ends up maintaining a Heat-Vision attack while pummeling the same target with his fists.

HM