Character concept: Viable? "Caffinated Man"

Funksaw

Here's the rundown:

1) does not require sleep.

2) When he drinks 50 cups of coffee (cumulative) or the equivelent caffiene he enters a period of superspeed - From his perspective, he moves normally, but the world slows to a snail's crawl... it should cost ALOT of END. What's more, at the beginning of the character's story, he does not know that he has this power - he just knows that he hasn't slept in a week and doesn't feel tired in the least.

How would I write this up?

Re: Character concept: Viable? "Caffinated Man"

+X SPD; Costs END, where X equals the difference between the character's normal SPD and 12. So if his normal SPD is 4, he'd have a +8 SPD, Cost END. That's 8 END per Phase (even his normal 4) for a total of 96 per turn.

For extra fun (and to simulate the SFX better), try this:

Assuming the character has a normal SPD of 4...

Overcaffinated: +8 SPD (80 Active); Cost END (-1/2), 8 Contuing Charges lasting 1 Turn each (+0), OAF (caffine pills, -1/2), Extra Time: Delayed Phase (-1/4) Real Cost: 36

He carries special pills, 8 of them. He pops one, he's got a SPD of 12 for one Turn. He pops 2, he's like that for two Turns. However, he's spending the END each and every Phase he's wired, even if he isn't doing anything else (i.e. can't take recoveries). He's like this until it wears off or he exhausts himself unconscious. Granted, anything he does will be done at whatever skill/accuracy as he would doing it slow, he just gets it done more quickly.

Oh, and as part of the SFX, I'd allow the character to take the time to drink 50 cups of Coffee of his pills get taken, but he'd just take a lot longer to get there. Normally I'd represent that with a Variable Limitation, but it doesn't quite work that way and I can't really see how taking an 1/2 an hour to turn this Power on would be useful anyway.

Here's the rundown:

1) does not require sleep.

2) When he drinks 50 cups of coffee (cumulative) or the equivelent caffiene he enters a period of superspeed - From his perspective, he moves normally, but the world slows to a snail's crawl... it should cost ALOT of END. What's more, at the beginning of the character's story, he does not know that he has this power - he just knows that he hasn't slept in a week and doesn't feel tired in the least.

How would I write this up?

Has someone been watching Futurama reruns?

Heh.

I've got an NPC based on this concept, but with his

'unique physiology' any amount of caffeine will send him

into super-speed mode.

And his name is Javaman!

( And his sidekick, err, partner is Fidget )

I just gave him Continuing charges on some extra Dex with

a focus and defined that as his Hero ID. Everything else is OIHID.

Heh.

I've got an NPC based on this concept, but with his

'unique physiology' any amount of caffeine will send him

into super-speed mode.

And his name is Javaman!

( And his sidekick, err, partner is Fidget )

I just gave him Continuing charges on some extra Dex with

a focus and defined that as his Hero ID. Everything else is OIHID.

Heh. I created a speedster once named "Speed Freak" whose mutant metabolism responding to, well, speed (meth) by becoming superhumanly fast. He took speed to kickstart his powers, and downers to sleep at night. He had a bunch of physical and psychological limitations as a result, not surprisingly.

Oh' date=' and as part of the SFX, I'd allow the character to take the time to drink 50 cups of Coffee of his pills get taken, but he'd just take a lot longer to get there. Normally I'd represent that with a Variable Limitation, but it doesn't quite work that way and I can't really see how taking an 1/2 an hour to turn this Power on would be useful anyway.[/quote']

Not to mention that he'd have to go to the bathroom every third phase after 50 cups of coffee.....

Not to mention that he'd have to go to the bathroom every third phase after 50 cups of coffee.....

MP Slot: Watersaw: 2d6 Physical Energy Blast (vs PD), Armor Piercing. Possibly costing END with a coffee-powered END Reserve. Maybe expendable continuing charges with a limitation that it requires excessive coffee consumption to recharge.

...just a thought.