How would you build this...?

Klytus

I'm looking to make an anti-mutant collar that will shut down the powers of any mutant wearing it. Now I know it needs to be built with Suppress built with a Focus, what I'm talking about is the other aspect of it. The collar is not an Entangle, as it does not hamper movement or restrict the limbs, yet it cannot be easily removed by the target, either... THAT is the part I need to know how to build.

Any ideas?

Re: How would you build this...?

Transform mutant into a non powered equivalent. As long as the collar is present, the transform stays in place. And for the entangle, I think you were wrong, it is the best power to use to produce this effect.

For the Dampening effect

Mutant negator: Major Transform 2d6 (Mutant into normal equivalent, Removing the colar completelly negates the effect), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1), No Normal Defense (Force fields, Physical armors; +1) (120 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), Linked (Entangle; -1/2)

For the collar itself:

Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (180 Active Points); Set Effect (Neck Only) (-1), OIF (Focus, to remove the focus, you need to remove the entangle effect; -1/2)

Guest Champsguy

Suppress: XD6, 0 End (+1/2), Suppress ends if "collar" takes 12+ Body (-1/2)

Easy. Always ask yourself "does this make my power more effective or less effective?"

I'd just make it a focus for the 0 End Suppress, and calculate its DEF accordingly. Breaking or removing the focus turns off the Supress. Since you're talking about at least a 90 point power, the Focus gets a DEF of 18 (Active Points/5) for free; that makes it almost unbreakable without the right tools to unlock it (GM's option or any penetrating KA).

I'd just make it a focus for the 0 End Suppress' date=' and calculate its DEF accordingly. Breaking or removing the focus turns off the Supress. Since you're talking about at least a 90 point power, the Focus gets a DEF of 18 (Active Points/5) for free; that makes it almost unbreakable without the right tools to unlock it (GM's option or any penetrating KA).[/quote']

I would agree with the above. The collar is the focus for the power, and as your mutant powers are suppressed you aren't going to be breaking out anytime soon.

I would agree with the above. The collar is the focus for the power' date=' and as your mutant powers are suppressed you aren't going to be breaking out anytime soon.[/quote']Although this is obvious way to handle it, there's one problem: By the rules, anyone can remove an Inaccessible focus by taking a full minute out of combat to do so. I'm not sure how to deal with that aspect, the idea that only an authorized person (meaning someone with the right key) can remove it.

Although this is obvious way to handle it' date=' there's one problem: By the rules, anyone can remove an Inaccessible focus by taking a full minute out of combat to do so. I'm not sure how to deal with that aspect, the idea that only an authorized person (meaning someone with the right key) can remove it.[/quote']

I'd just rule that as a special effect, or reduce the value of the Focus limit by one step from -1/2 to -1/4. That would make it match up with items like OIHID Power Armor which may not be removed except with special tools (i.e. GM's fiat).

In my campaign' date=' all mutants have a Physical Limitation: Powers Are Lost in an Anti-Mutant Effect, so I'm not worried about defining the effect, just the collar itself.[/quote']

Then make the collar the focus for the effect, and assign it enough def that it can only be broken with special tools or a key. If you haven't bothered pointing out the effect, there's no need to point out the collar.

Guest The JeRQ

Sticking to the tradition of unnessessarily complex solutions.... You could define the colars as Technology based and build them on an automation framework. The robot would ony have three programs, one would be the supress, annother would be a grab or entangle and the last would be an Id program to accept the commands (input thru a keypad) of open and close.

If mutants have a phys lim that prevents them fom using powers near a nullifyer, then you don't need to stat these collars out fully at all.

You just need to define the def, body, and how hard it is to pick the lock.

If this is a power to shut down mutants, then buy it as a continuous, uncontrolled supress with "breaking/removing the collar" as the defined way to end the uncontrolled continuous aspect of the power.

Of course this will cost a bazillion points.

Well, since anti-mutant devices can be equipment possessed by friendly and hostile agents (maybe even bought by party-members as gear), it needs some kind of point-cost and a defined DEF BODY for breaking out of it. It will be bought as a Continuous Uncontrolled Supress at its base, and I do like Jhamin's idea of defining the way to break the supress as escaping the collar.

I'm looking to make an anti-mutant collar that will shut down the powers of any mutant wearing it. Now I know it needs to be built with Suppress built with a Focus' date=' what I'm talking about is the other aspect of it. The collar is [b']not[/b] an Entangle, as it does not hamper movement or restrict the limbs, yet it cannot be easily removed by the target, either... THAT is the part I need to know how to build.

Any ideas?

A transform with a heal would be the easiest -- the heal is overcoming the collar. Otherwise, just make it continuous and leave the collar as a special effect.

I'm looking to make an anti-mutant collar that will shut down the powers of any mutant wearing it. Now I know it needs to be built with Suppress built with a Focus' date=' what I'm talking about is the other aspect of it. The collar is [b']not[/b] an Entangle, as it does not hamper movement or restrict the limbs, yet it cannot be easily removed by the target, either... THAT is the part I need to know how to build.

Any ideas?

By the rules' date=' anyone can remove an Inaccessible focus by taking a full minute out of combat to do so. [/quote']

Think we may be too caught up on the focus limitation. Just because the Sx is a tech device does not mean it has to be bought as a focus.

Entangle, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Takes No Damage From All Attacks (+1/2), Does Not Prevent The Use of Accessable Foci (-1). Add a couple of custom modifiers, Does Not Restrict Movement (-1), Deactivated By Security Systems Skill Roll (-1/2). This gives an entangle that does not restrict manipulation or movement, or protect from attacks, that must be broken off or have the lock picked to remove. Link the Supress to the Entangle, and there you are.

Charges may be an approperate limitation, but again, no focus limitation.

Think we may be too caught up on the focus limitation. Just because the Sx is a tech device does not mean it has to be bought as a focus.

Entangle, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Takes No Damage From All Attacks (+1/2), Does Not Prevent The Use of Accessable Foci (-1). Add a couple of custom modifiers, Does Not Restrict Movement (-1), Deactivated By Security Systems Skill Roll (-1/2). This gives an entangle that does not restrict manipulation or movement, or protect from attacks, that must be broken off or have the lock picked to remove. Link the Supress to the Entangle, and there you are.

Charges may be an approperate limitation, but again, no focus limitation.

It would have to be a recoverable charge, and you don't need to make an Entangle Persistent... but this has promise.