The dreaded Pokemon question...

Yogzilla

No, I'm not trying to write up Pokemon in Hero5, but it alas is the best (and widely known) example for me to use; so please bear with me.

How would you write up a creature that can be "sealed away", but only after it's been "worn down"?? In Pokemon, you can't hope to capture one just by tossing a pokeball at it; first you have to battle it, then, when it's weak (HPs in the red), that's when you toss the pokeball.

I need to simulate this in my upcoming campaign. Any ideas?

-Yogzilla

Re: The dreaded Pokemon question...

Is this going to be a function of the creature or the capturing system?

For example, you could give the critter x2 Vuln to entangle if below 10 Stun or at 50% Bod loss. Consider it some sort of Physical Limitation if you like. You could also go with Entangle Xd6, only vs creatures below 10 Stun/5 Body or some such limitation.

Quick thought.

How about two powers:

Capture: XDim mov't usable on others; one location (holding space); only on creatures below x% stun/body; OAF (silly ball).

Release: Summon (variable entities), only those Captured. OIF (belt of silly balls), each one is an OAF and is specific to a given creature.

Is this going to be a function of the creature or the capturing system?

For example, you could give the critter x2 Vuln to entangle if below 10 Stun or at 50% Bod loss. Consider it some sort of Physical Limitation if you like. You could also go with Entangle Xd6, only vs creatures below 10 Stun/5 Body or some such limitation.

Giving the Pokemon the entangle Vuln. as you put it wouldn't work, as several Pokemon use grappling maneuvers. It's have to be an ability of the PokeBall as suggested in the second concept. Pokemon are also maore vulnerable to capture if the have a "status condition", i.e. asleep, poisoned, burned, frozen. If the creature is somehow incapable of actively defending itself, usually with heavy stun damage, then it can be captured. Then again, it could use special rules depending which kind of Ball you use and how powerful the Monster is.

I was thinking an Entangle that only works versus unconscious Pokemon.

Version #2 would be a Transformation that only works on unconscious Pokemon. This has the added benefit of changing their size and they won't need life support while transformed. Means of changing back: "I choose you!"

Version #3 Dimensional travel to a single little pocket dimension. The ball is a gateway. Think of "I Dream of Jeanie", where she had a whole living room in there. There's probably a few pokemon sitting around playing cards in there.

I've never watched the show so I'm going completely by what snippets I've gleened from my girlfriend's kids, but if you have to defeat the creature first couldn't you just plot device it's capture after it's been beaten down? Give the Pokemon thingy a disad of some sort (social or physical): Subject to Summoning. Then the character would take a "Summon" power to summon it back, perhaps with an OIF Pokemon Card (or whatever you use).

Best I can do without a real frame of reference.

I've never watched the show so I'm going completely by what snippets I've gleened from my girlfriend's kids' date=' but if you have to defeat the creature first couldn't you just plot device it's capture after it's been beaten down? [...']

Well, in a way, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Some characters will have the ability to "seal away" creatures in the campaign, but there's no drama/action if they do that as their first action. Similarly, I don't want to be the GM who says, "You can't do it this turn. Why? You just can't; that's the way it works." Bleagh... :P

So, I'm looking for a game mechanics method for keeping creatures from being sealed away unless they are weak (i.e. low HPs, stunned, etc.).

[...from other posts...]

I'm not as thrilled with the Vulnerability-w/-limitation as that just means the creature is MORE likely to be sealed away. I want to make sure it *can't* be sealed away unless it's weakened first...

Oh, and don't get too wrapped up in the Pokemon example -- once sealed away (in my campaign), they don't get summoned to fight for the player. :)

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!: Extradimensional Movement, Useable As Attack (defense is not being a Pokemon), Ranged, Range Limited By Strength, Must Roll Higher than the target's current STUN on 4d6 to caputure (2d6 if target is Paralyzed or Asleep), OAF Pokeball

I CHOOSE YOU!: Summon (Specific Being), only victims of 'Gotta Catch 'Em All' attack, OAF Pokeball.

(The 'Must roll higher' is removeable if you don't want the unpredictability ... 'Target must be below 1/4 of Maximum Stun' might make a decent replacement.)

I once wrote up Foxbat as a Pokemon Trainer. Don't ask.

Well, you use Summon to summon the pseudo-Pokemon.

Then you have a Dispel or Suppress with Trigger (pseudo-Pokemon is at X BODY or Y STUN).

That's how the rules say you "force a Summoned being to return home", and with Trigger on the Dispel/Suppress, it will happen automagically.

Put them in an EC, slap an OAF - pseudo-Pokeball, and you're gold.

Giving the Pokemon the entangle Vuln. as you put it wouldn't work' date=' as several Pokemon use grappling maneuvers. It's have to be an ability of the PokeBall as suggested in the second concept. Pokemon are also maore vulnerable to capture if the have a "status condition", i.e. asleep, poisoned, burned, frozen. If the creature is somehow incapable of actively defending itself, usually with heavy stun damage, then it can be captured. Then again, it could use special rules depending which kind of Ball you use and how powerful the Monster is.[/quote']

Hmm, I was unaware that grappling constituted an Entangle. There's a big difference between a combat maneuver anyone can use and a power one has to purchase.

Well, in a way, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Some characters will have the ability to "seal away" creatures in the campaign, but there's no drama/action if they do that as their first action. Similarly, I don't want to be the GM who says, "You can't do it this turn. Why? You just can't; that's the way it works." Bleagh... :P

So, I'm looking for a game mechanics method for keeping creatures from being sealed away unless they are weak (i.e. low HPs, stunned, etc.).

[...from other posts...]

I'm not as thrilled with the Vulnerability-w/-limitation as that just means the creature is MORE likely to be sealed away. I want to make sure it *can't* be sealed away unless it's weakened first...

Oh, and don't get too wrapped up in the Pokemon example -- once sealed away (in my campaign), they don't get summoned to fight for the player. :)

Hmm, interesting. So, care to give us some more details as to what "sealing away" would constitute? Is this more like sealing a demon back in hell or like binding a mage so they can't access their magic rendering them functionally human? Maybe this is like Ghostbusters where the traps only work if you're hosing the ghost down with particle beams and afterwards you seal the thing into the Containment Grid.

Anyway, sounds like you want the 'seal weakened creature' aspect on the sealing power rather than the creature itself. That way, even if the creature is weakened it takes special measures/equipment to actually constrain it.

Hmm' date=' interesting. So, care to give us some more details as to what "sealing away" would constitute? Is this more like sealing a demon back in hell or like binding a mage so they can't access their magic rendering them functionally human? Maybe this is like Ghostbusters where the traps only work if you're hosing the ghost down with particle beams and afterwards you seal the thing into the Containment Grid.[/quote']

More the bind-mage-access-magic-render-human than return-demon-to-hell; though there are elements of the latter. Not very much like Ghostbusters, except that the players could always come up with "magic traps" that help in weakening/holding the creature to be sealed...

Anyway' date=' sounds like you want the 'seal weakened creature' aspect on the sealing power rather than the creature itself. That way, even if the creature is weakened it takes special measures/equipment to actually constrain it.[/quote']

I'd rather have it be an aspect of the creature itself - - that way I can modify it for different ones (i.e. varying difficulties).

Actually run with a transform all or nothing and give the pokemon power defense only vs capture balls to allow you to distinguish.

If you don't want body (doesn't suit a pokemon setting but I don't what you're doing) you could rule off of stun +power def.

This would also allow for deifferent capture equipment. More dice. Continous over so many phases. AP vs Power def. etc.

Hmm' date=' I was unaware that grappling constituted an Entangle. There's a big difference between a combat maneuver anyone can use and a power one has to purchase.[/QUOte']

What I meant is that several of the Monsters have Entangle attacks, not just grapples, and that certain other creatures have resistances to such attacks. Some shoot vines, others sling mud or used magnetic polarities to Entangle others. Grappling just came to mind as common for larger creatures.

I'd have to go with Blue's idea of a pocket dimension, as the creatures are, for lack of better terms, "digitized" into the Ball/device, and can even be transferred over computers. I believe a similar concept is used in Digimon, as the Device is used for storage and summoning of said creatures.

My take on this is to set up a Physical Limitation (Can Be Captured In A Storage Device When Situation X Happens, And Can Be Released/Recaptured Freely Afterwords, All The Time, Slightly). You set what the condition is origaly (I like the 2d6 and compair to STUN total leff, is roll is over the STUN, it is stored).

Note: Make the heros buy the storage devices with charater points. That way, you can make shure thay don't get 'free stuff'. I sergest eather Summons, or Extra Dimentinal Movement as the base power (prehaps with the limitation for EDM Can Only Store/Bring Critter X).

Also note: Some Pokemon, in the show, refuse to go in the balls (Ash's Pikachue, Team Rockets' Meouth), and can even bring themselves out at will (Misty's Psyduck, May's Skitty). This, the critter could also buy EDM also.

I actually thought about this; I'd like to run a Pokemon campaign sometime when I get the chance.

I eventually came up with giving each trainer a VPP for his Poke Balls (used to both summon and capture Pokemon). The VPP uses Summon for calling Pokemon, but instead of making an EGO vs. EGO roll, characters make a Power Skill - [x] Pokemon vs. EGO roll (x being Grass or Ghost or Rock or whatever). Capturing is a Suppress Stun linked to a XDM UAA (defense is being conscious after the Suppress or unconscious before the Suppress).

The reasons for not making the defense above XX stun or X% are to, first, let me build some pokemon (legendary birds and artificial types) as resistent to capture (power defense), to include a random element, and finally to permit more skilled trainers (larger VPP) to be better at capturing pokemon. It also makes capturing scale properly based on the power of the targeted pokemon.

Yes, I put way too much thought into this.

I actually thought about this; I'd like to run a Pokemon campaign sometime when I get the chance.

I eventually came up with giving each trainer a VPP for his Poke Balls (used to both summon and capture Pokemon). The VPP uses Summon for calling Pokemon, but instead of making an EGO vs. EGO roll, characters make a Power Skill - [x] Pokemon vs. EGO roll (x being Grass or Ghost or Rock or whatever). Capturing is a Suppress Stun linked to a XDM UAA (defense is being conscious after the Suppress or unconscious before the Suppress)...

...Yes, I put way too much thought into this.

If you were going to build a Campaign around this idea. It would be perfectly logical to create a New Power or Skill (as outlined in the FREd) to represent it, rather than use a VPP.

BTW, I like the Power Skill vs. EGO Roll idea.