"Vulnerable Physical Form"

Blue

Hello devoted herophiles. I seem to be unable to locate a limitation that I have seen before. I believe it was once listed as "Leaves behind a vulnerable physical form".

Its application would be for...

• Using desolidifaction to simulate an astral form leaving behind a body that can be harmed
  • In connection with Extradimensional Movement to simulate jacking into the cyber-world and leaving your physical body behind.

I'm doing this last one and need to set the level of limitation. Thanks for your help.

Re: "Vulnerable Physical Form"

Originally posted by Blue

Hello devoted herophiles. I seem to be unable to locate a limitation that I have seen before. I believe it was once listed as "Leaves behind a vulnerable physical form".

Its application would be for...

• Using desolidifaction to simulate an astral form leaving behind a body that can be harmed
  • In connection with Extradimensional Movement to simulate jacking into the cyber-world and leaving your physical body behind.

I'm doing this last one and need to set the level of limitation. Thanks for your help.

In the BBB it was a -1 lim. I'm not sure if that is going to be the new standard though. Deuce, who in 4th ed was built with Desolid that way, is in Millenium City and is built with duplication with a -1 lim, that the main character is incapacitated while duplicate is in existence. I was toying with something similar for net running. Duplication with the transdimensional advantage, or giving the Dupe the actual EDM.

Thanks! -1 was what I guessed and applied, though the MC idea sounds intriguing too.

Maybe there are other suggestions out there, but here's what I did: I built a character with multiform and gave the extradimensional movement to the extra forms and gave them each the disadvantage that they leave behind the vulnerable, unconscious form of the original character. I'm also thinking that the Cyber form gets injured, sets off the "trigger" of extradimensional movement back to the real world. I think that would also enable the "reversion" limitation, in which the character changes back to their weaker human form and risks serious harm from the sustained damage.

Coincidentally, I was looking up this same thing just yesterday. I didn't get so far as to look in the BBB, since I knew Mystic Masters dealt with it specifically. There they just used Concentration 0 DCV, totally unaware of surroundings while in use.

Although, now that I think of it, that doesn't work so well for Desolid per se. This was Clairsentience with a Desolid special effect. Ah well, it worked perfectly for what I was using it for....

If your thinking about Astrals, I rember a very pricey but very well-built Astral Form in the old 4th Ed Mystic Masters book (my copy, sadly, having been lost to the winds of time some years ago).

Even though the game was still a 'normal' super game, after that book made the rounds, it took on a certain Magic feel. As a J. Random Sidenote, Mystic Masters is PERHAPS my favorite of the various side books weve seen over the years.

As noted that Lim is in 4th Ed.

However, I prefer the new way to do it using Duplication as that is the most direct way to simulate the 2 (or more) - body aspect of the Astral projection concept.

By the way, as an aside, does anyone remember a comic from a long long time back, Para something IIRC, where one of the characters manifested intangible 'anti-body' duplicates? They were black sillouettes with I think gold flecks in them.

It was a strange series IIRC, but interesting.

Thanx!

Never mind; found it:

DP7, Displaced Paranormals, from the ill-fated New Universe ala Marvel early 80s. A Jim Shooter enterprise, it suffered an unmerciful lynching after not quite 3 years.

The Character I was thinking of was 'Antibody': http://marvunapp.com/Appendix/rndobi.htm

whos powers consisted of:

[/i]

O'Brien is able to create multiple negative-image versions of himself out of an unknown substance dubbed "psychoplasm". These duplicates can fly, become solid or immaterial at will, and are as strong as their human original. Although they lack vocal apparatus, they can confer their experiences upon living beings by touching them and willing such an information-transfer. The number of Anti-bodies O'Brien can manifest at one time is unknown. Each Anti-Body develops its own personality, apparently based on some facet of O'Brien's personality. Each of them, once created, are capable of independent activity, and respond to O'Brien's verbal or mental commands to varying degrees. The Anti-Bodies apparently need to rest inside O'Brien's body for at least an hour every 24 hours or else their psychoplasm begins to deteriorate (an Anti-Body once spent 78 hours out of O'Brien's body before totally dissipating). The demoses of his Anti-Bodies apparently has no physical effects on O'Brien. O'Brien is able to prevent Anti-Bodies from re-entering his body through hypnosis, as he did when one of his Anti-Bodies went rogue. Initially, O'Brien believed he had only one Anti-Body, but later discovered he could create up to five at a time. Later still, he learnt he could create any number of Anti-Bodies, and enter their bodies, taking on their physical appearance. O'Brien is presently unable to remove the Anti-Body he resides in, due to a blast of "Pitt juice". Within the Anti-Body, he possesses the same powers as any other Anti-Body, except the ability to become intangible. Also, any additional Anti-Bodies he creates are only one foot in height. [/i]

And now we all know ;)

My problem with the duplication method is you are paying for what you are not using.

The purpose of Duplication is so you can have two characters in operation at the same time, to use this for classical Astral projection and limit it away is to use a butterknife to screw a screw in.

Multiform, with a limitation of leave a body behind is a better way to represent this IMHO

One of the players in my group suggested buying the desolidification, EDM and the like on your main form and linking it to duplication - The duplicate becomes your inanimate body (Reasonably inexpensive) and you use disadvantages to define what happens if it's killed while you're out and about. It seems like an interesting direction to take.

I knew you guys would be full of suggestions. Well, full of something anyway ;)

For my cyber surfer I went the multiform/edm route with a physical disad for the body left behind. This gives me the opportunity to have multiple cyberforms (3, in fact) each a different program "avatar" the character can adopt.

This is the first character in years where I had way too many disads by the time I was done and had to look for ones to drop :D