How to motivate friends...?

Storm Shadow

Re: How to motivate friends...?

The best way to persuade them is to run a fun one-shot session using prefab characters. Don't let yourself get bogged-down in rules for the session. Run it like a comic book and just have fun with it. Most people are intimidated by the amount of rules and degree of "crunch" in the game. Just play and have fun with it. If you do a good job you can pull them into your web; maybe not all of them but Rome wasn't built in a day either. :)

I don't know if it is superhero games or HERO they have a problem with, but if you can get them to do a one-shot as MitchellS suggests, few will be able to ignore the lure of that double handful of damage dice, and the wanton collateral damage.

"You won the fight, but the Houses of Parliament are gone. The crowd of onlookers are cheering wildly...."

Or, if you do need to resort to physical intimidation, try electrodes rather than guns, I mean, Trebuchet, they're never going to believe that you're going to pull the trigger until you've made an example or two and players can get scarce that way...and the levels of pain are far more adjustable!

Or' date=' if you do need to resort to physical intimidation, try electrodes rather than guns, I mean, Trebuchet, they're never going to believe that you're going to pull the trigger until you've made an example or two and players can get [i']scarce [/i]that way...and the levels of pain are far more adjustable!
Obviously you've never heard of kneecapping. :eg:

Guest The Comet

Or you could try running a system they are familiar with using the Hero System rules. Of course that's probably not suitable for Superhero games. Start them off with less complicated characters. Wildcards stylie. One power and fairly normal otherwise. That way they can get to grips with the system before tackling the bigger stuff. I would definitely recomend something other than a Champions setting though. When we run stuff in our group the ones unfamiliar with the hero system balk at the complexities of it.

Of course if you do want to run a fairly high powered campaign I would suggest kneecapping and kidknapping as an option.

Check out this sites forums for PDF of pregenerated Setting and Characters. A good jumping off point for Fantasy HERO

Narosia - Sea of Tears

http://www.narosia.com/

You could also check out my Sigs Links for Links to Converted or Adapted Settings to HERO System.

If the players are happy with a Setting then introducing a new System is easier.

Cheers

QM

I like champions very much' date=' but my friends preffers different rpg's before this. How to persuade to play it???? :rolleyes:[/quote']

THis happened to me after we had played for maybe two years.

So recently I did a me HERO.

I let the players make themselves in HERO form how they thought they were. They could have anything that they had on their person, and two items from my apartment.

I made them write everything they had on them down. Then I put them into my mind via a portal and made them go through other roleplay systems to find me as they went through other roleplaying systems such as (Toon, D&D, Vampire, Paranoia, etc) until they found me. As they go through each system their equipment changes, someone took a bottle of whiskey with them through, it kept changing to different bottles of liquid

until he smashed it took it into Pendragon, and it turned into a mace.

They still havent found me yet, but whenever we are bored and want something to keep us occupied we play me HERO.