Help with Cuthulu Hero

Guest The Comet

Guest The Comet

The first roleplaying game I ever bought was Chaosiums' Call Of Cuthulu and for some time now I have been interested in running a Hero System version of it. What I'm having trouble with, is replicating a workable Sanity Loss system. I'm sure I've seen it before on the boards but can't find it anymore. Can anyone point me in the right direction of the thread? If not maybe someone would care to take a stab at it themselves.

Ta much

Re: Help with Cuthulu Hero

There have been several approaches to Sanity loss written up for HERO. The most detailed one was featured in the 4E sourcebook Horror HERO, describing the short-term effects of massive PRE attacks ("Shock") and the long-term effects of prolonged low-level stresses ("Stress") on the human psyche. I'm afraid copyright restrictions prevent me from saying more about that here, though. :(

Another appears in the "Horror" section of the free HERO System Genre by Genre PDF (p. 43), involving the creation of a new Sanity Figured Characteristic. It's not unlike the short-term stress/shock part of the HH system, but much simpler.

The third approach (my personal favorite) is to give mind-blasting horrors an actual Power representing this ability. This power was described in the "Horror World" chapter of Champions in 3-D and (with variations) in Adventurers Club #22. It's basically a combination of Transform (human to madman) plus Ego Drain, both Area of Effect and NND (successful Ego Roll protects from the effect). So, whenever you encounter one of these monstrosities the effect hits you; if you make an Ego Roll you can withstand the effect, but each time you fail you edge closer to insanity. Stronger-willed characters will last longer, but each failed Ego Roll leaves your resistance weakened. Stay away from the monsters long enough and your scarred psyche has a chance to heal, at least before you actually snap.

You can see the full power writeup (in 4E HERO System) as part of the Horror World setting and adventure, available for free viewing on the website of its author Allen Varney, right here.

Considering your general interest in doing CoC HERO, I suspect you'd benefit from the considerable resources available on Michael Surbrook's excellent website, "Surbrook's Stuff":

Guidelines for adapting characters and creatures from CoC to HERO:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/smz/smzcoc.html

Full writeups for Lovecraftian creatures:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionscreatures/creatures.html

Full writeups for characters from Delta Green:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsrpg/COCanton.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptionsrpg/COCgalt.html

The third approach (my personal favorite) is to give mind-blasting horrors an actual Power representing this ability.

Excellent links, as usual, LL. My personal preference, were I to run a game based on Call of Cthulhu, would be to use the old Horror HERO Shock and Stress rules. IMO, they were pure gold from a rules options standpoint, requiring no additional modifications to old characters while opening up the possibilities. If that option weren't available, I'd probably use Steve's Sanity characteristic from the Hero System Genre by Genre document.

Guest The Comet

Once again I must say you guys really do come up trumps. Thank you very much for you're information. I think, since I don't have any of the publications you mentioned other than Champions 3D, I think I'll opt for it or the PDF file. Maybe a combination of the PDF files Sanity characteristic and after so many temperary insanities and you become permanently insane and as such GM property would work.

In Warhammer FRP you accumulate insanity points until you have enough for that much sought after phobia you were just dying to have! Perhaps after few sanity shredding incidents you would receive a psych lim completley free of charge. Something suitable to the horrors you experienced. What do you think guys?

Guest The Comet

I think it's a good way to bring back your SAN stat - the points are put into a Psych Lim Disad.

Ie - you take 20 SAN damage, and immediately get a disad to stop you going permanently insane, or something like that.

Good idea. With time off to reabilitate, therapy and a few hard earned e.ps you can buy off you disad. Until next time! HA HA HA HA ARRRGHHH!

Why have san drain at all, in the books the investigators became insane when they learned that the world they took for granted was not true and the gods was alien and uncaring.

I can see taking san drain for trips to other dimensions or having to shift body with an alien or something but just seeing the creatures? No.

I think that the official chuthullu game overuse the madness effect.

So I would try to not use san drain rules at all and rather play off the chars psych dis instead.

Guest Champsguy

Why have san drain at all, in the books the investigators became insane when they learned that the world they took for granted was not true and the gods was alien and uncaring.

I can see taking san drain for trips to other dimensions or having to shift body with an alien or something but just seeing the creatures? No.

I think that the official chuthullu game overuse the madness effect.

So I would try to not use san drain rules at all and rather play off the chars psych dis instead.

Exactly. Most of the Lovecraftian "heroes" were nerdy guys who thought they knew everything. They began to go insane when they realized the world they took for granted didn't work as they thought it should. Bob the football jock who went to jr college for 2 semesters before flunking out because he partied too hard, and ended up working as the cook at Hooters (Bob loves his life) isn't gonna be affected nearly as much.

Steve, the science professor (upon seeing a Hound of Tindalos): "Dear god... don't you see... it's all a lie. The universe, everything we knew..."

Bob: "Whoah. That was a monster... BAD-ASS!!!"

My suggestion? Everytime the PCs get presenced, have them make a PRE/EGO roll at -1/10 points over their PRE/EGO, if they blow the roll they take 1 pip of transform vs. EGO/PRE per level of presence effect(up to PRE+60/7 points). So they have a chance to shrug off the effects.

Plus you can let them reduce the levels via therapy, vacation, medication, etc.

Treat it as a "partial effect" transform, at 1/3 level, they start to get jumpy/quirky, at 2/3 level they're just barely holding it together, and fully transformed they're ready for the nice rubber room and the jacket that lets them hug themselves ;)

Guest Champsguy

I've always liked to do Cthulhu stuff through role-playing. If you do a few things that make the players paranoid, they'll be gunning down cops and freaking out over burnt popcorn before you know it. Players are irrational that way.

GM: "Bob, that cop is looking at you funny."

Bob: "... Is he a cultist?"

GM: "Heh heh heh. I mean, umm... no, Bob. Whatever he is, he's not a cultist. Whatever he is..."

Bob: "Oh crap. I waste that sucker with my sawed-off shotgun. I'm not taking any chances after that hooker nearly bit my pecker off and violated Steve with those tentacles."

Steve: "Shut up, man! Shut up about that!"

GM: "Steve, that little girl on the street is looking at you funny. You could almost swear you saw something green peeking out from under her dress."

Steve: "Aw, that's it man! Game over! Game over! I'm with Bob. I'm wastin' this girl with my uzi!"

I my experience, most CoC players tend to be more role players than hack & slash. Hack & slash players seem to dislike the game (sanity loss & invulnerability to bullets) and won't play. The last time I got to play, none of the players stocked up on guns or explosives because we all felt that it was "out of character" for a bunch of college students to do so for just going on a road trip. We had lots of beer though.

. :cheers:

I have given it some thought and what I have come up with is that pc's should have a psych lim: Believes in the rational world and its law's. Then they must take ego roll whenever they face up to something "Lovercraftian"

And yes I do know the rules say that in the hero system a disadvantage that is not an disadvantage is worth no points. And believing in the rational world is not an disadvantage. But that is where you are wrong...

In an Lovercraftian campaign believing in the rational world, is an disadvantage!

Good point. And if these are pregens you hand out, I wonder how many players will note that particular disadvantage or question it. I mean, before they confront the big baddie. That could be real fun in and of itself.

What? The GM is not allowed to have fun?