Special virgin powers?

paigeoliver

Has anyone ever made a package deal, or are there any threads or online discussion related to the special immunities and defenses bestowed upon virgins in the modern horror genre?

I am specifically talking about the assorted virginal female main characters common in slasher movies, you know, the only girl who lives to the end of the movie, and the one who (often) ends up managing to kill the slasher (and survive encounter after encounter) even though she seems to be his main target (while physically stronger and more capable secondary characters drop like flies).

A lot of movies seem to have these characters. Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc.

Re: Special virgin powers?

When I first saw the thread title, I was thinking you were talking about the various beliefs that virgins have mystic powers, due to, well, pent up sexual energy or some such. Like Solitare in "Live and Let Die" as just one example. And that sexual abstinance is a requirement for some 'real world' magickal systems, (Abramelin comes to mind immediately)

There is a belief that poltergeists have a similar origin/cause. Not due to any spirits, but due to some poor souls raging hormones affecting their environment mystically.

But for your purposes, it sounds like to me mostly Combat Luck would suffice.

On a more serious note, the manga HELLSING states that only a vigin can be made into a vampire -- which Seras apparently is. Also, Integra's blood (she is a virgin as well), tastes... better? ...intoxicating? to a vampire (witness the sexually charged scene in Volume 4 where Integra basically commands Seras to lick her cut finger).

Okay some one mentioned HELLSING and Seras. So it woke me up and I had to come upstairs and log on and find out what was going on.

The anime and the manga also both tend to indicate that the virgin has to make the decision to become a vampire. But maybe that was just one of Alucard's little mind games with Seras.

Have I ever mentioned that I really like that anime. :bounce:

Has anyone ever made a package deal, or are there any threads or online discussion related to the special immunities and defenses bestowed upon virgins in the modern horror genre?

I am specifically talking about the assorted virginal female main characters common in slasher movies, you know, the only girl who lives to the end of the movie, and the one who (often) ends up managing to kill the slasher (and survive encounter after encounter) even though she seems to be his main target (while physically stronger and more capable secondary characters drop like flies).

A lot of movies seem to have these characters. Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc.

Things like this I am more inclined to use as disadvantages for the villian/monster instead of packages bought for the virgin character. If you have enough critters who are disadvantaged by virgin status you could make virginity a fringe benefit of sorts.

I'd agree that this is a genre convention, or possibly a disadvantage that the Monster/Slasher has rather than a power of the Virgin.

Howerver, I do often use Faith as a power skill, with a number of powers used linked to it (Luck, Invisibility to Evil, PRE, Force Wall only versus the Supernatural, HKA only versus the Supernatural, etc.). Faith and powers linked to it fits well into any magic heavy campaign.

The anime and the manga also both tend to indicate that the virgin has to make the decision to become a vampire. But maybe that was just one of Alucard's little mind games with Seras.

I'd argue that Alucard's statement was more of "If you are a virgin, I can make you a vampire." Seras had to decide if she'd accept Alucard's offer of making her a vampire, not that she had any power to refuse if he decided to go and do it anyway (note the priest of Cheddar states "I won't even bother to make you a vampire, I doubt there are any girls your age who are still virgins."

I really have to get the manga.

G

DO.

Actually, in the manga, it's even more abrupt.

Arucard: Are you a virgin?

Seras: Yes.

.454 Casull Longslide: BLAM!!!

Priest of Chedder: GAK! *thud*

Arucard: Well, you can't live with a hole like that in you. What are you going to do, police girl?

Well, back on topic :)

Extra running (cannot exceed pursuer's speed, -1). She can't outrun the baddy, but likewise he can't catch her unless she ends up in a dead end

Extra STR (only for escape, -1). Even the chief bad guy has difficulty keeping hold of her and tying her up is only 50% likley to succeed at best

Luck. Of course.

Extra resistant PD/ED, doesn't stop 1st BOD from damage (-1/4). She can get beaten up, but survives with only cosmetic bleeding

HA (only for surprise attack). She can whack out even the tough guard from behind, but is no match for him in a straight fight and can makethebig bad flinch, if she gets the drop on him.

Instant change (any clothes, only to clean up, -2) Whatever she's wearing might get tatty or ripped to reveal a bit of flesh, but the naughty bits always stay covered and the worst they can get is "grubby"

I'll take a ... stab ;)

Slasher Virgin

-------------

8 2d6 Luck, Only works while retains virginity (-1/4)

8 +20 PRE; Only for Defense (-1), Only works while retains virginity

(-1/4)

8 +3 DCV; Only against slashers (-1/2), Only works while retains virginity

(-1/4)

6 +4" Running; Only works while retains virginity (-1/4)

--- -------------------------------------------------------------------

30 Total Points

-25 Hunted: Slasher (Mo Pow, Kill, NCI) 11-

DO.

Actually, in the manga, it's even more abrupt.

Likewise I need to read the Manga - I have the DVDs. One of the only series that I actually prefer the dubbed to the subbed, because of the English voice actors used. Possibly the subtitles were just badly translated for it as well...

Anyhow, Vampires and Virgins harken back to the Bram Stoker novel of which Alucard is the star, of course. And in keeping with the source material - and the Victorian Age's taboos on sex and metaphorical use of blood and liquid transfer allegories. Naturally Dracula only drank female blood. He converted Lucy, and almost Mina as well - both before their chaste marriages could take place. There is also the symbology of blood with fertility (menstruation) and the taking of virginity from a female.

Virgins in horror movies are shock value when you can't get children for the sympathy/innocence vote :)

And modern American taboos about promiscuity too, of course..

Well, 20th century taboos, anyway.

But - in general, rarity and ritual are good for the supernatural stuff. If there are once-off things that sorcerers need, or must be - the more powerful they are and the more circumspect in their behaviour they become. Likewise the victims of horror.

The more psych lims, the more points :)

Slasher Virgin

-------------

8 2d6 Luck, Only works while retains virginity (-1/4)

8 +20 PRE; Only for Defense (-1), Only works while retains virginity

(-1/4)

8 +3 DCV; Only against slashers (-1/2), Only works while retains virginity

(-1/4)

6 +4" Running; Only works while retains virginity (-1/4)

--- -------------------------------------------------------------------

30 Total Points

-25 Hunted: Slasher (Mo Pow, Kill, NCI) 11-

Oh, I'm sure to regret this, but you need to add Independent in there. Once she's lost those powers, the points she spent on them are gone for good.

Oy.