Teleporting focus to owner

Tech

I want to see how you would build this:

A villain has an OAF foci weapon. It is not OIF because yes, it can be taken away. If the focus is taken away, one time a day, the villain can spend a great deal of time and concentration, teleporting the foci back to him from anywhere on the planet. I've yet to come up with a satisfactory idea.

Now, assuming I made the object weapon foci OIF (it can't be taken away from him until he's unconscious), how would it be built then?

Re: Teleporting focus to owner

I think I would build it OIHID, with an additional 1/2 limitation "Power focus is treated like OAF in combat".

or

You could say the the OAF is not a universal focus, making it mostly useless to others, and the once per day time focus and energy thing is really him just creating a new focus. A little cheesy, I grant you.

or

You could give the villians base a transporter, teleport UAA, bulky, fragile, megascale, indirect, and give the teleporter and focus a mind link, so they could always find each other...

Don't build the weapon with the focus limitation. Build it with the physical manifestation limitation. Then throw on an additional -1/4 saying it takes "X amount of time" to summon it back.

Physical manifiestation limit?

Rather than build it w/ Focus, consider making it with Physical Manifestation as suggested, and also Charges; go with 2 clips of 1 Charge each and you are down. If you want it to take effort and time to change the clips, modify the Charges Lim directly by an appropriate amount.

It's on page 302 of 5Er. Basically it's a -1/4 limitation that says a power has a physical manifestation which can be hampered' date=' taken away, or destroyed temporarily.[/quote']

I have 5th ed, but not 5Er. Still, it's a great idea. Thanks.

Not to go against the flow here, but it is a perfectly normal breakable focus. Think about it. I have a focus: a gun, one of several I keep in my armoury, although I only ever carry one with with me. In a combat someone destroys or steals my gun from me. After the combat I go home and get another one. No one would have a problem with that. It is just sfx.

There really is no difference in the scenario you posit. The limitation for focus is there to balance the fact that you might lose it for a combat or a session. In this case if you lose it or it is destroyed you 'remake' it with the teleportation ritual, recovering the object whole (or the broken bits, and recombining them).

Doppler's idea is correct and the limitation bonus is more in line with the fact that at any moment in combat, the focus can be removed and render Pyramid helpless, hence it is more than a -1/4 limitation.

TheRealLemming also has a good point. However, through all this conversation makes me wonder if the recovery of the focus would be cheesy.

ex. I finally decide on a -1/2 limitation because of the severity of the limitation in that anyone can take away the focus. I run an episode and in it, Pyramid is disarmed and combat with him is over. For no points whatsoever, he is able to 'summon/teleport' the focus back to him while in jail. However, that ability to retrieve the focus 1/day may already be covered in that I took a -1/2 limitation instead of the -1 OAF (and would have saved more points).

Am I correct in my 0 pts ability, as mentioned in the example above, Pyramid has to teleport it back to himself?

Not to go against the flow here, but it is a perfectly normal breakable focus. Think about it. I have a focus: a gun, one of several I keep in my armoury, although I only ever carry one with with me. In a combat someone destroys or steals my gun from me. After the combat I go home and get another one. No one would have a problem with that. It is just sfx.

There really is no difference in the scenario you posit. The limitation for focus is there to balance the fact that you might lose it for a combat or a session. In this case if you lose it or it is destroyed you 'remake' it with the teleportation ritual, recovering the object whole (or the broken bits, and recombining them).

I have to agree, It's the whole OAF, with a cool F/X, nothing more...but see how the GM wants to handle it...

While it's true it can be a normal focus that only works if it's one of many focuses and can be easily replaced. A unique item like mjolnir or Captain America's shield won't return just by concentrating or wishing for it. That's the real difference here. Getting or making a new one, focus. Summoning back or magically appearing, restrainable or physical manifestation.

I agree with restrainable. It's what I meant when I began the physical manifestation reply but I had some sort of brain fart. :) You can also put the small limitation on it if it takes considerable time to summon back rather than just a turn or phase, IMO.

All of the reasoning above is perfectly sound. :) If you actually wanted to build a Power for this effect, though, I'm thinking Summon the Focus (based on its Active Points), Specific Being, Slavishly Loyal (these are typical for Summoning unliving objects, as per the FAQ), One Charge, with whatever other Limitations you'd find appropriate.

If you did just build it as a focus he could teleport back to him, putting him in a cell with walls bought with 'hardened to teleportation' would keep it away from him in any event, so he can be seperated from it so long as he is in lockup. I would definitely want some way to prevent the character from retrieving the item - at least temporarily - to be defined. Gagging him might be effective (can't incant the ritual), or maybe if he is placed inside an inscribed cricle of protection, the weapon can not return to him. Time to get creative...of course anyone who captures him and takes the focus off him might not know that - at least the first time...

You could also do it with Lord Laiden's summon idea, or make the return part of the focus: a once a day triggered mega scale dimensional teleport to owner. The trigger is automatically set when the owner wields the weapon and is always the same 'when the summoning ritual occurs. That way the weapon comes to the true wielder, it is not the wielder calling it. Conceptually, anyway. (can't remember: if you put a triggered power in a multipower, activate the trigger then switch slots, does the original power remain 'active'? I think it does from memory, so doing it this way wouldn't even be that expensive if you could just slot it in a MP with the main attack power)

For me though, that is too complicated. Focuses are inherently expected to be 'lose it/retrieve it' - something is wrong if they are not - it is up to the player and GM to decide how you can lose it (usually pretty obvious) and how you can retrieve it.

How 'bout taking OAF and then buying it off with a 1 Charge Limitation?

Ex:

60 active point power, -1 OAF = 30 points

plus:

30 active points "Buy off the OAF", -2 Charges 1/day = 10 points

Total cost 40 points.

What results is a power that has OAF, but that limitation can be ignored once per day.

SFX: In combat, someone takes it away. Use the one charge and get it back instantly. It's ready for use again in the same combat. Someone takes it away again, now you're out of luck. You have to go after the thief, or go back to the home base to get a new one.

How 'bout taking OAF and then buying it off with a 1 Charge Limitation?

Ex:

60 active point power, -1 OAF = 30 points

plus:

30 active points "Buy off the OAF", -2 Charges 1/day = 10 points

Total cost 40 points.

What results is a power that has OAF, but that limitation can be ignored once per day.

SFX: In combat, someone takes it away. Use the one charge and get it back instantly. It's ready for use again in the same combat. Someone takes it away again, now you're out of luck. You have to go after the thief, or go back to the home base to get a new one.

Oh that has to be sooooooooooooooooo wrong: I just can't for the life of me think why... :nonp: