Reaching Across the 19th Century Aisle

yamamura

Re: Reaching Across the 19th Century Aisle

Last Thursday night, I asked Mr. Long whether he had read this post and said he had and that the book wouldn't be feasible, because he has too much to say. I guess the good news is that there is enough material for two books (and I would for one buy both). That being said I could still see a book for 19th century tech and the rest of the world coming out as a single supplement for both with two books centering on each genre.

G

(Pardon me Steve in advance, if I misparaphrased or misunderstood)

This book' date=' Inventing the Victorians, is a must-read for anybody contemplating a campaign set in or supplemment about Victorian England.

Thanks, I have added it to my Amazon wish list. But I do think the author hit upon an interesting fact that I have begun to percieve. The more I read literature of the time period, the more I realize that the modern view of the Victorian age is twisted. So I am quite interested in seeing the view point of an author who holds a similar view point.

G

He was a murderer and a horse-thief.

And a thug compared to Thunderbolt or Captain Moonlight.

I've heard of Thunderbolt and Captain Moonlight, but that's about as much info as I have on them. But the image of Ned Kelly in his armor, walking toward the police, laughing and shooting, is a wicked cool image. Up until that whole shot-in-the-legs part.

That book is great, just remember to shift out any information that fits Castle Falkenstien. On page 25 of Comme Il Faut, he recommends Bricknell's Victorian Buildings and I totally agree but I would also recommend Geo. E. Woodward Victorian City and Country Houses. They are very useful for having instant maps to play with.

G

From a response to a similar thread over a Paperworlds-

Digital Regency Resources

New York Public Library's digitisation project. Various scans of Regency period books full of lots of great art nouveau illustrations and woodcuts :-

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/explore/dgexplore.cfm?topic=cities&collection_list=EmpireandRegencyDeco&col_id=167

Who are they?

They were bushrangers, either of whom can make a much better case of being driven into it by the injustice and tyranny of the police than Kelly can. Thunderbolt generally tried to avoid hurting people (and ended up dying of it). There is a highway named after him not far from here. Captain Moonlight was rather more violent: his last words (to the policemen who shot him down) were "Ah! If I'd had my rifle I'd have taught you mercy."

They were bushrangers' date=' either of whom can make a much better case of being driven into it by the injustice and tyranny of the police than Kelly can. Thunderbolt generally tried to avoid hurting people (and ended up dying of it). There is a highway named after him not far from here. Captain Moonlight was rather more violent: his last words (to the policemen who shot him down) were "Ah! If I'd had my rifle I'd have taught you mercy."[/quote']

Has anyone very written a history of the bushrangers? Uhm... that might be available in the US? (Or through you?)

Well, in my professional opinion - as a librarian at the National Library of Australia - I'd say yes to both :)

We even lend books overseas - but it will cost you $AUD 30.00 direct from us (higher for other libraries that charge for postage). http://www.nla.gov.au/dss/libraries_os.html

I'll get a list of ISBNs together for you.

[edit]

Hmm, standard search on our Libraries Australia service in the ANDB database (all books in all libraries in Australia), gives me a good result as the first hit-

ISBN: 0725601205

The dictionary of Australian bushrangers / compiled by Roy Mendham

Melbourne : Hawthorn Press, 1975. Description: 179 p

Hmm, only one copy on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0725601205/104-6268583-1386357)

I'll look around a bit more...

Actually if you just do a search on Amazon for "bushrangers" and ignore the Ned Kelly books, there are some good ones-

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=dp_searchBox_1/104-6268583-1386357?url=index%3Dbooks%26dispatch%3Dsearch%26results-process%3Dbin&field-keywords=bushrangers&x=0&y=0

And too many films.

But I was referring to the books about Ned Kelly will only be about him (being the most famous) - so if you want to know about all the others, ignore the ones about him.

On a side note - I'm starting a new thread on this, as it is specific-country-related rather than general 19th century stuff.

LOL...it seems Ned isn't thought well of at all Down Under. I guess maybe it's overload...too much exposure because of the highly-interesting armor angle?

Well, that and the robbery, murder, etc bits.

OTOH, people are still fascinated by Bonnie and Clyde, Dillinger, Billy the Kid, etc.

I don't quite get it.

bonnie and clyde in particular were butchers, afaik. OTOH, the law enforcement officers who killed them had absolutely NO intention of taking them alive. That car could easily have been used as a cheesegrater.

A book I'm reading at the moment which would be good for this genre -

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

ISBN 1582344167

Amazon entry-

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1582344167/qid=1110923541/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-6268583-1386357?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Description-

English magicians were once the wonder of the known world, with fairy servants at their beck and call; they could command winds, mountains, and woods. But by the early 1800s they have long since lost the ability to perform magic. They can only write long, dull papers about it, while fairy servants are nothing but a fading memory.

But at Hurtfew Abbey in Yorkshire, the rich, reclusive Mr Norrell has assembled a wonderful library of lost and forgotten books from England's magical past and regained some of the powers of England's magicians. He goes to London and raises a beautiful young woman from the dead. Soon he is lending his help to the government in the war against Napoleon Bonaparte, creating ghostly fleets of rain-ships to confuse and alarm the French.

All goes well until a rival magician appears. Jonathan Strange is handsome, charming, and talkative-the very opposite of Mr Norrell. Strange thinks nothing of enduring the rigors of campaigning with Wellington's army and doing magic on battlefields. Astonished to find another practicing magician, Mr Norrell accepts Strange as a pupil. But it soon becomes clear that their ideas of what English magic ought to be are very different. For Mr Norrell, their power is something to be cautiously controlled, while Jonathan Strange will always be attracted to the wildest, most perilous forms of magic. He becomes fascinated by the ancient, shadowy figure of the Raven King, a child taken by fairies who became king of both England and Faerie, and the most legendary magician of all. Eventually Strange's heedless pursuit of long-forgotten magic threatens to destroy not only his partnership with Norrell, but everything that he holds dear.

Sophisticated, witty, and ingeniously convincing, Susanna Clarke's magisterial novel weaves magic into a flawlessly detailed vision of historical England. She has created a world so thoroughly enchanting that eight hundred pages leave readers longing for more.

Just out of cureosity...

...how many real life women tied to the train tracks stories ever made news? I defently know of only two...one was a melodramatic taking of her own life over in South Africa, while another was some guy and girl doing a photoshoot in England (and the one in England survived, cause the train seen her in time).

My guess is that a lot more happened, but only in fiction of the 19th centery and serials of the early 20th centery. In spite of the train tracks being ramped all over the west, most real life villians avoided doing such things, while most melodrama writers over did it.

Just asking...

Stanley R. Teriaca.

Once something becomes a traditional entertainment - then you get derivations of it, and it becomes part of the mythos. Urban legends are another good example.

But in this case - some writer read a newspaper story (or heard it in the pub), developed a music hall act around it - it fired up people's imaginations, and it spread.

That's my guess, anyway.

Once something becomes a traditional entertainment - then you get derivations of it, and it becomes part of the mythos. Urban legends are another good example.

I guess I am going to have to agree with you about the "Lady Tied To The Train Tracks" thing. Thay need the villian of the melodrama play to do something evil, and doing something evil to a sweet, inosent young woman gets a lot more boos than doing it to a helpless one-armed man.

By the way, the varie first melodrama play to have someone tied to the train tracks was Under The Gasslight, and the person in perl was, in fact, a one-armed man who just came home from the Civil War (guess where he lost his arm).

• 2 weeks later...

Good day Yamamura, I am up for it. I would be willing to supply resource links and images, but my writting ability sucks. I recently wrote down some idea for just this sort of thing. Let me go find it.

Cheers

QM

P.S.: Found it and here it is.

Revolutions Hero

- Regency

- Victorian

- Exploration

- Steampunk

- Castle Falkenstein-ish

- Call of Cthulhu-ish

- The Great Game - Espionage

- Western-ish. The Weird Wild West

- Forgotten Futures

- Space 1889

- The Meji Restoration

- The Dark Continent (The Boar War)

- Europeon Imperialism (Africa, India, the Middle East)

- The Great Train Robbery

- Around the World in 80 days

- ClockworkPunk

- China's Boxer Rebellion

- Shamballa

- The South American Lost Cities of Gold (the Roman Colony)

- Tesla Cannons

- The Ether of Space.

- Planetary Colonialism and non human races

- Psychics, Mediums, Cultists

- Sherlock Holmes, Moriarty, Fu Man Chu

- War of the Worlds

- Time Travel

- Descent to the Center of the Earth

- Lord Darcy

- Bram Stoaker's Dracular

- Monster Hunters

- The Hellfire Clubs