Battle of Detroit

Boll Weevil

Re: Battle of Detroit

I don't even want to THINK of running a fight that big. Biggest fight I've ever been in was 18 characters(7 PCs vs. the entire Zodiac minus Pisces). It took place in my wizard character's pocket dimension. I was really on that day and my dice got hot. The Zodiac got creamed. It was a good day.

Has anyone here had the sadistic notion to actually run the Battle of Detroit? If so' date=' was Dr D alone or did you include the destroids, Grond, Glacier etc?[/quote']

Not precisely, but the villain in my "silly teen superheroes" game, realizing that the heroes could never be killed there, did "send them to Detroit". The laws of reality there didn't favor the heroes.

Well, in theory. In practice, it didn't work, because the laws of silly-teen-superheroes-universe wouldn't let them go if they were really going to be killed.

I think it would be a pretty cool demo or tournament game, though.

I idly considered running the Battle of Detroit as an epic ending to my campaign (currently on hyatus) set in the early '90s, but I haven't really be doing any work on it.

I'd probably break it up into at least three smaller scenarios - a damage control and civilian rescue scenario, a Kaiju-like battle against Glacier scenario, and the main assault on DD's facility scenario.

I don't even want to THINK of running a fight that big. Biggest fight I've ever been in was 18 characters(7 PCs vs. the entire Zodiac minus Pisces). It took place in my wizard character's pocket dimension. I was really on that day and my dice got hot. The Zodiac got creamed. It was a good day.

Largest fight I ever ran had about 35 PCs and about that many villians. Plus another horde of agents. Six hour fight if I remember at the end of a multipart story. That was the second largest battle we had IIRC.

Has anyone here had the sadistic notion to actually run the Battle of Detroit? If so' date=' was Dr D alone or did you include the destroids, Grond, Glacier etc?[/quote']

Hmm, very interesting. I don't run my current campaign in the Champions Universe (in San Angelo, instead) and I probably wouldn't have thought on my own to do this (considering I don't like to run campaigns in the past) but you've got me thinking (I've read this thread before, when there were a few posts) and I have a scenario I might choose.

If I start a new campaign that takes place in the Champions Universe, I could run this, but I'd need to do my research to find out who all was involved and where. I'd be tempted to run it with its new ending, but either way, I wouldn't have Destroyer's teleporting trick take place (either he doesn't have it, or it doesn't work). That way, Dr. D is either dead, or captured and removed from his battle suit.

Come to think of it, it might be interesting to use this as a plot. Perhaps the PCs are following a criminal who is either trying to steal a prototype time machine, or the criminal has temporal powers. One way or the other, the PCs (and maybe said villain) get transported back to the day(s?) of the big battle. How will the PCs change the battle knowing what happened (and do they recall the specifics)?

I would need a fairly competent team of players though. And this would be best for a larger group (six or more players). I currently have three players in one campaign, with the potential of four, should he ever get an agreeable work schedule. I used to be in a gaming group that had, at one time, ten players, four would rotate GMing (though rarely were we all present). That would be an ideal attempt, or at a Convention. :shock:

The biggest fight I ever ran included five or six players running two to three characters each (their team and the Protectors) versus an all-out assault of a VIPER base. It was a stalemate as the heroes had to withdraw and the villains couldn't invade the Protectors' base (without getting teleported outside over the bay) before the police and military showed up.

They had a similar scenario in Classic Organizations for 4th Ed.--the assault on Sanctuary, which involved about 80 superhuman combatants.

I've run combats involving about 20-30 total characters, but I think to do anything larger than that, you really need 1)player discipline, 2)great organization, and 3)pre-planned moves.

Largest fight I ever ran had about 35 PCs and about that many villians. Plus another horde of agents. Six hour fight if I remember at the end of a multipart story. That was the second largest battle we had IIRC.

35 PCs? I remembered you said it was a lot, I didn't remember that much!

The number of heavy-hitter NPCs I ran in the New York mutation event was the largest I've run, btw, lemming. I haven't seen PCs bring in so many NPCs but it made perfect story sense as a response to the challenge I set up.

35 PCs? I remembered you said it was a lot, I didn't remember that much!

The number of heavy-hitter NPCs I ran in the New York mutation event was the largest I've run, btw, lemming. I haven't seen PCs bring in so many NPCs but it made perfect story sense as a response to the challenge I set up.

Well, most of the people at that combat were part of the group that played daily so we were very quick. No way I could do it as quickly now. (It's been a long time since I could do 1000 dice/rnd)

And your game went very smoothly. Good use of abstraction.

Well, most of the people at that combat were part of the group that played daily so we were very quick. No way I could do it as quickly now. (It's been a long time since I could do 1000 dice/rnd)

And your game went very smoothly. Good use of abstraction.

Thanks much.

Ah the good old days of very regular play!

"WHEN" and "IF" I GM "The Battle of Detroit" I will set it up along the same lines as the Star Trek: The Next Generation Episode where the World has changed and Doctor Destroyer won the Battle of Detroit and the PC's are members of the Resistence, led by a Superhero thought killed in the during the battle.

The time travelling supervillian? Tells the Superheroes/Resistance Fighters that this timeline is wrong and that they defeated Doctor Destroyer during the Battle of Destroit. He sends them to a ruined VIPER base seeking the the materials needed to go back and time and fight Doctor Destroyer during the Battle of Detroit.

No matter what the PC's survive, but they return to their own timeline to find everything changed and their "original" timeline fading like a bad dream.

Cheers

QM (user of gmail)