[Character] Lord Arcane, Magus Maximus

Killer Shrike

Hey all. Im thinking about using the below character as the "Sorceror Supreme" equivalent in my Campaign world; i.e. sort of an analog to Dr Strange.

I built him more or less as a Fantasy Wizard as it will also allow me to field test a Magic System that Im chiseling out for my next Fantasy HERO campaign (waste not want not ;) )

Obviously the character has a much broader list of spells available to him for his VPP. Theoretically, given time, he could probably dig up a suitable spell for just about anything as is fitting for his Sorceror Supreme level status.

I seriously thought about buying up perks to represent his pull with other mystic organizations, but AFAIK Dr Strange pretty much worked alone; he was above all the lesser spell casters; so I begged that off.

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/NPCs/Lord%20Arcane,%20Magus%20Maximus.HTML

Hmm... this is an odd kind of character, one of those "neither fish nor fowl" deals. His Characteristics seem reasonable, although his PD and ED seem kind of high for someone who's essentially a trained normal; but the spells in his VPP look like they could be trouble. They are heavily Limited, which is common for a fantasy mage, but super-level mages are rarely so vulnerable. Since most of those spells are attacks, it really isn't so essential to reduce the cost of individual spells in the VPP that low.

More to the point, while the Active Points in those spells are very high, the comparatively small number of Charges for each one means that Lord Arcane could "shoot his wad" fairly early in a battle, especially if all his offensive spells have a similar Limitation. That becomes more of a concern if he normally works alone. Also along those lines, "Arbelon's Lesser Aegis" doesn't have Persistent or Uncontrolled on it; I may be wrong, but IIRC that would mean that it would shut down if Arcane is Stunned or Knocked Out, wasting whatever is left of that Charge.

The rest of his skill set looks appropriate for a master sorceror.

Thanx for the input.

Yes, he is very Fantasy Magish for 2 reasons. The 1st reason is he is a new treatment of an old Fantasy character. The 2nd reason is I am secretly trying to test drive a new Magic Framework before I have to commit to something in preperation for a Fantasy Campaign. ;)

Good idea for the armor spell; will eyeball that closer.

His def is from Combat Luck. The HD export template rolls it all into PD/ED.

I seriously thought about buying up perks to represent his pull with other mystic organizations, but AFAIK Dr Strange pretty much worked alone; he was above all the lesser spell casters; so I begged that off.

I know a little about Dr. Strange and your right about him working alone for the most part. He did however form "THE DEFENDERS" IIRC (admittedly I'm not 100% on this, but he was a member of that group if nothing else). For those of you who don't know who the Defenders were, they were a group brought together to defend the marvel dimension from outsiders from other dimensions. They weren't to vigilant about this apparently or had very set ideas about what constituted an "outsider from other dimensions" because there was always an "alternate dimension" someone in the marvel universe causing troubles somewhere for somebody.

Hey that was Marvel for you. Anyways this group was short lived but it was comprised of Dr. Strange of course, the Incredible Hulk, Prince Namor the sub-mariner, and last but certainly not least Wolverine. Why the Doc picked these three individuals I'll never know but hey there you have it. Wolvie may or may not have been in the original foursome but he was a member when they reunited for some forgotten reason or dimensional threat. I guess I could see the Hulk, after all he is "the strongest one there is". If you need muscle for a job there wouldn't be anyone better then him. The other two choices baffle me though.

I also recall Dr. Strange performing a favor or teaming up with none other then Galactus the world eater. IIRC this mission also had Nova and the Silver Surfer (both heralds for Galactus at one time or another) coming along to help too. As far as the Doc teaming up or enlisting the aid of other mystics I can only think of one occassion where this happened. It was during the whole "Infinity Gaunlet" trilogy debacle, more precisely in the second installment of that god-awful storyline. Dr. Stange and some other Marvel mystics got together and cast some great and powerful spell because Dr. Strange wasn't able to do it alone. So it did happen but I dont know if it happened often enough to warrant buying perks to show this. Just my two cents worth free of charge :cool: .

In my campaign, the supreme sorceror guy is The Finn, a robot created by a PC years ago. Over sixty years of advanced data absorption has helpd him outclass the other mages in the world. However, I never made any stats up for him. He's a McGuffin and PCs should never be in combat with him. I just assume he has a metric butt-ton of a VPP and can swing it.

But then, I'm lazy lke that.

Originally posted by RevHooligan

In my campaign, the supreme sorceror guy is The Finn, a robot created by a PC years ago. Over sixty years of advanced data absorption has helpd him outclass the other mages in the world. However, I never made any stats up for him. He's a McGuffin and PCs should never be in combat with him. I just assume he has a metric butt-ton of a VPP and can swing it.

But then, I'm lazy lke that.

Hmm. I dunno, Robots and Magic just dont seem to go together in my mind.....I would think that a person would need a 'soul' to perform magic. Just a prebias I suppose.

I like to stat things, thats probably about 75% of the fun for me ;) The rest is just clockwork.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

I gotta love the DNPC, man.

He looks pretty cool. About what i would expect for a sorcerer supreme.

Thanx. Any thoughts on whether bumping to 1000 is a good idea? One of my players was of the opinion that the 'Sorceror Supreme' equivalent shouldnt need help to deal with tier-2 threats and should be at least as powerful as Gravitar.

He went into some detailed breakdowns of the sorts of things Dr Strange routinely dealt with and I was forced to agree that some them would probably point out higher than this version of this character could deal with if I brought an analog into the HERO System.

Besides, I must admit I had some fun making this character, and expanding him further would be interesting.

Your opinions fellow posters?

• 7 years later...

Re: [Character] Lord Arcane, Magus Maximus

I know a little about Dr. Strange and your right about him working alone for the most part. He did however form "THE DEFENDERS" IIRC (admittedly I'm not 100% on this, but he was a member of that group if nothing else). For those of you who don't know who the Defenders were, they were a group brought together to defend the marvel dimension from outsiders from other dimensions. They weren't to vigilant about this apparently or had very set ideas about what constituted an "outsider from other dimensions" because there was always an "alternate dimension" someone in the marvel universe causing troubles somewhere for somebody.

Hey that was Marvel for you. Anyways this group was short lived but it was comprised of Dr. Strange of course, the Incredible Hulk, Prince Namor the sub-mariner, and last but certainly not least Wolverine. Why the Doc picked these three individuals I'll never know but hey there you have it. Wolvie may or may not have been in the original foursome but he was a member when they reunited for some forgotten reason or dimensional threat. I guess I could see the Hulk, after all he is "the strongest one there is". If you need muscle for a job there wouldn't be anyone better then him. The other two choices baffle me though.

I also recall Dr. Strange performing a favor or teaming up with none other then Galactus the world eater. IIRC this mission also had Nova and the Silver Surfer (both heralds for Galactus at one time or another) coming along to help too. As far as the Doc teaming up or enlisting the aid of other mystics I can only think of one occassion where this happened. It was during the whole "Infinity Gaunlet" trilogy debacle, more precisely in the second installment of that god-awful storyline. Dr. Stange and some other Marvel mystics got together and cast some great and powerful spell because Dr. Strange wasn't able to do it alone. So it did happen but I dont know if it happened often enough to warrant buying perks to show this. Just my two cents worth free of charge :cool: .

logan was not in the defenders at that time but the x-men

where he belongs