Please Help Name This Character

McCoy

One of my players has come up with a character, but we can't come up with a name for him.

All characteristics are unaltered, except for DEX (20), and SPD (6).

He has Physical and Energy Absorption, with linked 0 End Force Field (only up to amount rolled by absorption) and Knockback Resistance.

Points absorbed go to a Multipower, with additional 0 End Force Field powers; an additional personal force field, a force field useable by others at range, an entangle (with force field SX), and an energy blast (area effect line and zero range, a force field battering ram).

(Yes, I realize he's a sitting duck for the first Stun-Only attack that comes along, but this is what the player wants.)

But no name comes to mind.

Personality-wise the character is not a pacifist, but not very aggressive either. His powers have conditioned him to not be the one throwing the first punch, he tends to be more re-active than pro-active. He has no code against killing, but is not a casual killer either. In fact he sees his power as turning his opponents energy back on themselves, almost the definition of reasonable force.

Thank you everyone for all consideration given to this.

Where do these powers come from? Magic, technology, martial arts and/or ch'i, mutation, psionics, what? That might help narrow it down a little.

Does he do anything outside of super-heroing? Is he a musician, a policeman, a construction worker, a lumberjack, a schoolteacher, a CPA? That might give us some ideas, too.

If he wasn't SPD 6, I'd suggest a turtle or tortoise theme. What's fast and has a shell? Darn, Armadillo's been taken.

Hmm. How about Siege? It implies both the defensive powers and the 'battering ram' blast... Other possibilities include Blockade, Barricade, Breach, Bastion...

You could focus on the force he absorbs. Impact, Crash, Collision, Hammer, Smash, Jolt, Brunt, Buffet, Concussion, Shock... Possibly with an adjective to make it more interesting... Again, I'd have to know more about the character to come up with something descriptive. Do his powers have a visible special effect? Are they a particular color? If so, you could match a descriptive adjective with one of the names above.

Haerandir, "Seige" is the front runner so far.

Where do the powers come form? He doesn't know. Suspects he's a mutant, isn't sure. Just as far back as he can remember the harder he got hit the less he felt it.

What's it look like? Definitely visable at higher energy levels, but no particular color. An area of visual distortion, al la the movie Dune.

What's he do? Almost the prototypical Gen X er, Just graduated High School with a solid B average, was working fast food when he heard about the tryout for a new reality show "Who Wants to be a Superhero." Had never tried to use he power offensively before that, the entangle and battering ram are the result of experimenting with his powers for the past few weeks.

Thanks again everyone, good suggestions, but "Siege" is just it so far.

Glad you liked 'Siege'. It's the one I would go with, myself. But, as long as I'm here, I've been working up a few more:

On the theme of toughness:

Adamant

On the theme of reflecting energy:

The Mirror

Rebound

Repercussion

Reflector

Resonator

Not an awful lot in the origin. Not that it's a bad origin, just that there aren't too many adjectives there.

I suppose you could work with the 'visual distortion' effect, but most of the things I can come up with for that involve heat. Though, given that he's a 'mirror' and he 'distorts' things, you could call him Funhouse.

Personally, I'd stick with Siege.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

and my favorite:

Uncle Smacky

Hey! The perfect opening to debut my new iconic patriot-type hero: I give you... UNCLE SLAM! (With the uber-cool catch phrase, "You'll be seeing stars and stripes forever!)

(Though now I'm leaning toward Uncle Smacky as a name :D )