Help with "Brick Fu"......Please

War Cry

Yay me! I've finally been invited to join a game after a few years of not gaming. Hence, I'm a little rusty and I'm having a small problem putting the finishing touches on my character, a sorta tiger/man brick. I want to give him a few moves to make him stand out from the typical brick. I was thinking of a "pounce" attack, AOE 1 hex, a "bowl em over" AOE line, and a "furious punch", autofire attack as a few examples. If I bought these as hand attacks, do I add in his strength to figure the final cost on these powers?

For example, I buy the pounce attack as a 4d6HA AOE 1 hex. Is it calculated with just this basic info, or do I add in his strength to get to the final cost, as Strength is required to use the HA in the first place?

Sorry if this is mundane or the answer is painfully obvious, but I have little experience with writing up champs characters. Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Help with "Brick Fu"......Please

::company shill hat on::

Check out The Ultimate Brick. It's got over 100 "brick tricks" (neat and effective abilities representing applications of immense strength and/or durability), as well as numerous other suggestions for creating and playing brick characters. :hex:

::company shill hat off::

If you do it as a simple Hand to Hand attack with the advantages tacked onto it, then you can add as much Str to the attack as the active points of the HtH attack, before the advantages. In your example, that would mean 4d6 HA+4d6 from strength, AE:1 hex, etc.

fbdaury has it right.

4d6HA AP has an Active Point Cost of 30 and a Real Point cost of 20. You can add up to 4d6 of your STR damage to it, for a total 8d6 AP attack.

For 1 Hex AOE, you technically also need Personal Immunity, but published characters have gotten by without that, so I'd say that it was a GM's call.

::company shill hat on::

Check out The Ultimate Brick. It's got over 100 "brick tricks" (neat and effective abilities representing applications of immense strength and/or durability), as well as numerous other suggestions for creating and playing brick characters. :hex:

::company shill hat off::

Just to back Steve up from a non-official/non-company-man perspective, indeed, The Ultimate Brick is a highly worthwhile buy. Or at least go to your FLGS and browse it... :eg: (no, really, do buy it, though).

I agree-The Ultimate Brick is a worthwhile purchase.The main problem I have with it is that the Power Skil that many 'Brick Tricks" require uses DEX (in most cases) and Bricks are supposed to have the lowest DEX of all the major character types!!!l
Well - that's at least one way you could break the archetype: Give Tiger Brick a higher-than-normal DEX. :)

I concur with those mentioning wrestling (though I've also been fond of Sumo). One nasty trick to add on to that is to give your character a damage shield that drains END or STR (makes him viscious against other bricks). Of course, it may not be in your character concept since you called him "Tiger Man."

Speaking of your character, does he have actual "tiger blood" or something related, or is that just his schtick? From what little you have posted, I'm guessing that he's fast? If you could provide some more info, the people here could help better with the details.

I'll also concur that TUB (The Ultimate Brick) is a good buy if you don't want a standard brick. There are some neat ideas in there. (Though I also don't like Brick tricks on DEX; I may use INT instead, though some may encounter the same problem.)

I'll also concur that TUB (The Ultimate Brick) is a good buy if you don't want a standard brick. There are some neat ideas in there. (Though I also don't like Brick tricks on DEX; I may use INT instead, though some may encounter the same problem.)

I don't really like requiring a Brick Tricks roll at all; I usually just throw them into a standard MP. I will allow Power Skills, mostly for VPPs and characters who want to explore minor non-combat power stunts, but I've come to feel that keeping the number of rolls down in combat is a very good thing. ;)

... I've come to feel that keeping the number of rolls down in combat is a very good thing. ;)

Not to derail this thread too much, yet, but I find it amazing how some people have problems with the die rolls. In my previous gaming group, we'd state any skill roll, how much we made it or missed it by, our OCV, our roll and what DCV we hit within five seconds or so. If we were hit and had activation rolls, we'd roll those asap.

Though, I am understanding people's concerns now, because my current gaming group I have to go over all the tech stuff each game session, two are relatively familiar with the system (only 5E) and one is a total newbie, so I suppose that's understandable. But I rag on them about their slow math skills. ;)

Kewl. Thanx for the responses. The GM has left the pt limit open for final character cost, just have to follow the pt guidelines for powers,ect. While the idea of wrestling is appealing, I'm using multiform and his other self has some martial arts, so I'm trying to steer away from that.

I really dig the End/Str drain damage sheild. I'll see if I can find a way to logically explain something like that.

If it helps, here's some more character info. Basic concept is he's a product of military engineering that resulted in a sort of cyborg weretiger. The character has no clue if he possessed mutant genes or the weretiger ability and it was enhanced by the military or if they tinkered and added it to his system to create an expendable super soldier. Relevant info, Str 60, dex 18, spd 5, ocv 10, dcv 6. My goal was to create a walking sensory platform that can dish out and take a lot of damage - I've spent over 100pts on various enhanced senses alone. Putting some flavor into his attack abilities is what I am looking for right now.

Campaign limits are 500ap total on powers per turn. So, with a spd 5, max ap of powers is 100. I have nothing that touches that and I'm not sure if I want to. I like the idea of leaving room to improve his powers if I need to.

My FLGS does a very, very poor job of stocking hero product. I'll see what they have Saturday. Otherwise, it's a one hour road trip to the next nearest city with decent hobby shops.

Once again, thanx all.

O.K. this is my problem with requiring a "Brick Tricks" Power skill based on DEX or INT for a brick superhero.Assuming a 60 AP Power,thats a -6 on the power skill roll.My namesake character has a DEX and INT of 23 due to his internal nanites,which means that the base skill roll is going to be 14- regardless of the characteristic used.In order to have a 50/50 chance of using that power the skill roll needs to be 16.That's 7 points spent right there.

If the power is going to be something like "the finger of unconsciousness" an Activation Roll might be a more appropriate Limitation.

Then don't do it like that. Say it merely requires an INT roll ensuring you do it correctly, or use an Activation roll based off your INT roll (have a 15 INT, use a 12- Activation roll).

Base it off of STR if you're going to take modifiers. Or, just pay full points.