Modifed Ego

Guyon

I want my character to have a good strength of will but be susceptible to ego attacks.

I can't add any more disadvantages, so should I buy ego with a 1/2 limitation to mind control and damaging ego attacks?

Since the mind control and damaging ego attacks will come into play much more is the 1/2 a good modifier?

Re: Modifed Ego

I want my character to have a good strength of will but be susceptible to ego attacks.

I can't add any more disadvantages, so should I buy ego with a 1/2 limitation to mind control and damaging ego attacks?

Since the mind control and damaging ego attacks will come into play much more is the 1/2 a good modifier?

Why not a take a vulnerability disadvantage?

Get the points need to boost your EGo and get the affect you're looking for a the same time.

Got it. Thanks All

@ Von D-Man: Yes All other mental attacks as well. I want him to be a strong willed fighter, pass tests of willpower, when he is wounded, resisting interrogation, or trying to overcome his psychological flaws.

- BUT not be any good at stopping EGO attack that do damage or mind control, and Mental attacks as that is not his specialty.

@Fox1: I can't buy any more disadvantages, so it has to be a modifier.

@ Von D-Man: Yes All other mental attacks as well. I want him to be a strong willed fighter, pass tests of willpower, when he is wounded, resisting interrogation, or trying to overcome his psychological flaws.

- BUT not be any good at stopping EGO attack that do damage or mind control, and Mental attacks as that is not his specialty.

Pardon my denseness, but some specifics seem to be missing:

- should his ECV increase (which indirectly impacts mind control and ego blasts)?

- should he be resistant to mind scan, telepathy, mental paralysis and mental illusions, or any other attack which targets Ego?

- should he be more resistant to PRE attacks (which Ego does feed to, if higher than PRE)?

All the things he should be good at in your list above would be covered by ego roll skill levels.

@Fox1: I can't buy any more disadvantages' date=' so it has to be a modifier.[/quote']

Stuck on the disad points cap and need to keep what you have huh? Pity, that's the best way to deal with the issue.

You know you can still take the disad, you just don't get any points for it.

Beyond that, sounds like skill levels for Ego Rolls to me. Combined with a zero point vul. disad vs. Mind control- you can avoid those levels from helping there while staying alway from the sometimes questionable idea of a limit on skill levels.

Stuck on the disad points cap and need to keep what you have huh? Pity, that's the best way to deal with the issue.

You know you can still take the disad, you just don't get any points for it.

Beyond that, sounds like skill levels for Ego Rolls to me. Combined with a zero point vul. disad vs. Mind control- you can avoid those levels from helping there while staying alway from the sometimes questionable idea of a limit on skill levels.

If all Ego rolls are a 5 point skill level, a lesser subset (all Ego rolls not related to mental combat) could reasonably be a 3 point skill level. No disadvantage needed.

Plus, to me, a limitation on Ego is more appropriate than a flat rate disadvantage. The more Ego, the greater the points saved, and the greater the benefits lost from that Ego.

If all Ego rolls are a 5 point skill level' date=' a lesser subset (all Ego rolls not related to mental combat) could reasonably be a 3 point skill level. No disadvantage needed..[/quote']

Three point levels are suppose to work for three different aspects of the same thing. There are more than three non-mental combat aspects for Ego Rolls.

Best to go with either a -1/4 limit on the 5 point skill, or with a 0-point disad.

GMs love people who take zero-point disads. Shows they are gaming the system but making the character. Until they do something else odd that is...

Three point levels are suppose to work for three different aspects of the same thing. There are more than three non-mental combat aspects for Ego Rolls.

I may be misrecalling, but I believe it is 3 aspects or a tight group of effects. No books in front of me at the moment, so I can't confirm.

If the character gaining stronger will but not a greater resistance to Mental Powers, or is he gaining a vulnerability to Mental Powers while not losing any of his already strong will? Or, is this a character just being made and you've already got enough Disad points?

If it's the first, you can just buy Skill Levels with EGO. It won't affect your ECV, protect against Mental Powers or PRE Attacks, or offer any additional resistance to Mental Transforms or Adjustment Powers that affect EGO. Alternately, you could just buy EGO, Only To Increase EGO Rolls, but that gets kinda cheezy.

If it's the second, then sorry bub, you don't gain points for acquiring a Disadvantage during game play. If the GM allows, you can trade an old Disad for the new one and role-play in game why one is no longer disadvantagous to the character while the new one is suddendly affecting him.

If it's the third... you can either find a Disad you already have and don't like and drop it, take it anyway at a 0 point Disad, or go ahead and buy the SLs for EGO.

If it's the first' date=' you can just buy Skill Levels with EGO. It won't affect your ECV, protect against Mental Powers or PRE Attacks, or offer any additional resistance to Mental Transforms or Adjustment Powers that affect EGO. Alternately, you could just buy EGO, Only To Increase EGO Rolls, but that gets kinda cheezy.[/quote']

...but they will help with Breakout rolls. :D

...and don't forget the Talent 'resistance'...

That was my thought as well. Resistance is based on 2-pt. Skill Levels with EGO Rolls, only to resist interrogation and questioning (-1 Lim). You could reduce that Limitation to broaden the bonus to EGO Rolls vs. whatever situations you think this ability should cover. It's a great way to reflect strength of will without altering the character's ECV, and would have no effect on Ego Attacks at all.

3 point levels can encompass 3 unrelated moves/skills that just happen to be ones that the character relies on a lot. Or they can fit a list of related skills/moves such as all science skills or all Aikido moves. Basically, any subset of skills/moves that you would apply a characteristic roll to.

...but they will help with Breakout rolls. :D

True, but only if you are using the Levels for that task... and that only happens if you know you are under the influence of the Mental Power, which you don't typically find out until that roll is already made. :D:D

A construct that I use all the time is.

Heroic Resolve: +XX EGO; Cannot Be Used To Overcome Psychological Limitations, or Resist Mental Attacks That Take Advantage of Psychological Limitations (-1/2)

Heroic Resolve: +XX PRE; Cannot Be Used To Resist Presence Attacks That Take Advantage of Psychological Limitations (-1/2)

While leaving normal EGO & PRE to 10 (or even less)

Which has the double advantage of saving up some points, and giving more characterization since characters can now have strong EGO and PRE (and be able to shrug off PRE Attacks and/or uncustomized vanilla Mental Attacks) while not being able to easily ignore their PSych Lim and making them acutely vulnerable if enemies take the effort to tailor their PRE Attacks, Mind Control and Mental Illusion Attacks on the char's Psych Lims.

E.g. It allows to simulate the willful and brave character that cannot be easily intimidated or mind-controlled, but can be easily goaded into being a sucker for a pretty face (Lecherous), entering combat impuslively (Overconfidence, Loves Combat), attacking an ally IF a Mental Illusion shows him acting really dishonorably (Honorable), et cetera.

A construct that I use all the time is.

Heroic Resolve: +XX EGO; Cannot Be Used To Overcome Psychological Limitations, or Resist Mental Attacks That Take Advantage of Psychological Limitations (-1/2)

Heroic Resolve: +XX PRE; Cannot Be Used To Resist Presence Attacks That Take Advantage of Psychological Limitations (-1/2)

While leaving normal EGO & PRE to 10 (or even less)

Which has the double advantage of saving up some points, and giving more characterization since characters can now have strong EGO and PRE (and be able to shrug off PRE Attacks and/or uncustomized vanilla Mental Attacks) while not being able to easily ignore their PSych Lim and making them acutely vulnerable if enemies take the effort to tailor their PRE Attacks, Mind Control and Mental Illusion Attacks on the char's Psych Lims.

E.g. It allows to simulate the willful and brave character that cannot be easily intimidated or mind-controlled, but can be easily goaded into being a sucker for a pretty face (Lecherous), entering combat impuslively (Overconfidence, Loves Combat), attacking an ally IF a Mental Illusion shows him acting really dishonorably (Honorable), et cetera.

Heroic Resolve - I like this! It explains why Joe Normal can sometimes face down the boogeyman when all around him have fled.