Calling Marvel fanatics

Fox1

Re: Calling Marvel fanatics

While the whole concept of 'secondary mutation' is incredibly annoying to me, I will speak up and say that Morrison isn't the first x-writer to have done someting this stupid. Back in the bad old days, Leifield decided to put the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants back together. He had Toad, who had developed the ability to secrete noxious chemicals, (Toad claimed he'd given himself that power) Phantazia (some less than memorable character), Sauron (yeah, yeah, like the Juggernaut, he's not a mutant, I know), Pyro and the Blob. Blob, apparently, has put on a few more pounds and like a foot + in height. He'd also gone from low-end superstrength like picking up a car to upper-tier brick in addition to his gravity field powers.

I'm pretty sure that serves as an excuse to introduce secondary mutations, even if it's a pretty dumb idea. At least Beast, Angel and Caliban all have the excuse of having had their genetic codes further altered with genetic engineering, Beast having done it for kicks or whatever, and the latter two turned into Horsemen and powered up by Apocalypse. That would account for them changing almost as often as Spidey developed power complications when exposed to stuff.

Leifield simply spent their expierence that they had earned over the years. :D

This is why you don't let children, or the stupid update your characters!

That's it? Basically just an abort to being invulnerable?

That not only doesn't require a multi-form, it's rather boring besides.

I think I'll grab some hints from the X-Men Legends game (first console game I've played in years. Greatness) and do her as a mid-level brick in this form. Will be more fun for the player that way and is a better use of the concept.

I like the idea of a brick with no enhanced STR for Emma's Diamond Form. Maybe use HAs or a Damage Shield so she can dish out some damage, and Damage Reduction 75% to PD, ED & Mental. She shouldn't be throwing cars around though.

So...

Did you know she's with Scott now because Phoenix came back in time after her 'death' and whipped some Mind Control on her husband so that he'd take up Emma on her offer to run the school together and thus have a reason to live?...

Well...who didn't see that one coming? :rolleyes:

:winkgrin:

As a general rule, I typically hate most changes of major characters to be less than... idea.

Some however are useful.

Giving Angel healing and 'hard light bolts' was a good idea to help out a otherwise near worthless character (I CAN FLY! big whoop). So much so I grabbed the abilities and tossed them on his character sheet even through they took away the 'hard light bolts' and used the bad concept of his blood being used for healing (I just gave him simple healing instead).

Emma always had the problem of being a glass jaw in addition to being a half power copy of Jean. The actual comic ability isn't ideal, but giving her a mid-brick with high defenses mult-form is kinda of cool. Add in the fact she'll use her telepathy in ways Jean won't- and she's now a neat team member for an X-Men based game.

See, lots of people don't giver Angel any credit- he was the most weell-rounded of the original X-Men and had cool, albeit not as dangerous, powers. He could fly(cool), had eagle-sharp vision(I wear glasses, so that's cool to me), he was handsome, charming and rich- what's not to like? Something that I think that people overlook with Angel, and Falcon as well, is that they weren't just fliers(is there any such thing?), they were extremely good fliers, skilled in aerial combat and with very good control over their flight- this would translate into enough skill levels with flight to have a zero turn mod as well as levels with aerial combat(hand to hand levels, only in flight, -1/2). Although Angel may not have been as deadly as some in a fight(although see the beating he lays on Wolvie when Wolvie was Death), he

is one of the few X-Men that can afford to bankroll his own hero team as well as being the head of a large Corporation. Give the man some respect please... :angel:

Something that I think that people overlook with Angel' date=' and Falcon as well, is that they weren't just fliers(is there any such thing?), they were extremely good fliers, skilled in aerial combat and with very good control over their flight- this would translate into enough skill levels with flight to have a zero turn mod as well as levels with aerial combat(hand to hand levels, only in flight, -1/2).[/quote']

Yeah. I gave him all that. The proof as they say is in the pudding. No one wanted to run him. He was the least used X-Man.

On the bright side, consider it resentment of the good looking rich kid :)

Yeah. I gave him all that. The proof as they say is in the pudding. No one wanted to run him. He was the least used X-Man.

Yeah!! Screw the wealthy, attractive deab-beat!

Note: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fox1 again.

Well that just shows that none of your players were inventive or intersted in the possibilities the character presented. :nya:

My I'm just an obsessed fan boy' date=' but I'm reading x-men again after not having read them for years thanks to whedon, and I've enjoyed it, for the most part....[/quote']

Well, if you haven't read the book in years and don't know all the continuity he is ignoring to make his little stories happen, then it might not bother you. Personally, I feel that if Whedon were really good, he would have wrote stories that worked for the characters as they are, instead of changing them and even needing to bring a dead man back to life, to make his stories work. It would be like someone writing a new Buffy series and making all the dead characters come back to life because their story wouldn't work without those characters. he could have created new characters to fill the roles he wanted in the book but no, instead he brings Collosus back to life and screws with the characters to fit what he wants from them. But hey, maybe I'm just picky :think:

The first time I saw the Beast drawn that way, I thought it was just the artist's bad rendering. Then I found out he was actually -supposed- to look that way. Ugh.

I suppose Frost's being able to go all diamondy does sort of fit the character, and does serve to differentiate her from various other mutant telepaths. Overall though, I think the whole secondary mutation thing is pretty lame.

The only X title I can really stand reading these days is the Ultimates. I'd rather just wipe the characters' slates clean, and have some consistancy in the story, than try to grasp all the bizarre changes these characters have been through over the past three decades or so.

Of course, comics are not novels, and it's just the nature of the genre, to some extent.

I suppose Frost's being able to go all diamondy does sort of fit the character, and does serve to differentiate her from various other mutant telepaths. Overall though, I think the whole secondary mutation thing is pretty lame.

The only X title I can really stand reading these days is the Ultimates. I'd rather just wipe the characters' slates clean, and have some consistancy in the story, than try to grasp all the bizarre changes these characters have been through over the past three decades or so.

Agreed about the Ultimate lines, and why. No way am I ever going to figure out the lunatic twists and turns some of the writers have presented over the years I was on comics-buying hiatus. From what I'm hearing, it would just make me disgusted to try.

And the secondary mutation thing is pretty lame - as all Champions players know, you should have a unifying theme for characters, not just throw a grab bag of abilities in a pot. I never had a problem with Nightcrawler's obviously more-than-one mutation, because his metahuman traits all made sense together somehow. They fit. I could even see Angel gaining healing powers from some non-mutationary source- it would tie into an angelic theme (though I'd prefer that it did come from some other source of power, and that the "X-factor" only manifested once per person, myself). But telepathy + "diamondy alternate form"??? Ptui.

I know that he had the healing and the hard light bolts at one point, but were they at the same time? After all, they've decided that Dagger can tap some 'Lightforce' or other and her daggers can both harm and heal. I could bend my head around some sort of aqquired ability for Angel in that direction, since they once showed that Dagger's father had taught himself lifeforce/light power somewhat similar to Dagger's as well. I won't say it's a good story, but I wouldn't scream bloody murder if a player decided to start pursuing this as a plot device/radiation accident.