Are there Amazons in the Champions Universe?

Hermit

I know Hidden Lands is coming out soon, so I'm wondering if it has anything akin to DC's Thermiscara aka Paradise Island, or even its own version of an "Amazon" Culture (suitably altered with comic book touches)?

I have two ladies in my group, and with Wonder Woman old TV show being out on DVD now, I get the feeling they're eyeing the "First lady of superheroes" as a potential source of inspiration. Just in case they do, if there is such a culture in 'official' 5th Ed Universe already, I'd like to know before starting on my own variation. :)

Re: Are there Amazons in the Champions Universe?

I can't remember anything in the Hidden Lands playtest manuscript that was really a close parallel to WW's Paradise Island or Amazon culture. You could certainly have superhuman female warriors from Atlantis or Arcadia, but they're not quite the same kind of Hidden Land - not really female-dominant cultures, nor an especially "feminist" mindset.

Here's a thought, though: the original Amazon lands were part of the Greek mythological world, so perhaps the Amazons removed themselves to the Land of Legends as magic in the CU declined.

Here's a thought, though: the original Amazon lands were part of the Greek mythological world, so perhaps the Amazons removed themselves to the Land of Legends as magic in the CU declined.

Yeah, that was the closest I could think of as well as a possiblity.

Thanks for the heads up on Hidden Lands though

Hermit, ever since you posted this topic, one "warrior princess from CU female-dominant society" concept has stayed on my mind: an exiled relative of the Empress of Ackal.

The image of an Ackalian female in star-spangled shorts and a bustier just won't leave my head. :snicker:

I think a race of warrior amazons from another planet would work as well. Sort of an "Amazon women from Mars" type of thing, if you don't want to add another hidden land that characters will just be wandering over to every other week.

If you look at Winged Victory from the Astro City series, her powers originate from a necklace that she wears. You could always allow a character to be built using that concept. It would help you in several ways:

1) The Player could have their amazon-esque character

2) You could declare that the necklace is from an ancient race/culture/whatever. This means that they could be a one-shot OR there could be more waiting in the wings

3) You wouldn't have to generate an entire culture (including history, religion, etc etc.)

Well... at least that is how I see it.

When I read the play test of Hidden Lands the following impression:

Arcadia (or maybe the entire Antarctica) = Paradise Island

Empyreans = Amazons (of both sexes)

King Hazor = Male version of Queen Hippolyta

Archon (or Thalya) = Princess Diana (Wonder Woman)

Obviously, if you want to use these as Amazons, you have to change the sex on some of the NPCs. It's at least a start.

Another way to handle this, without leaving cannon Champions Universe, could be with the help of the realm Achaea (see the Mystic World). Achaea is a part of Faerie that simulate the ancient/mythic Greek world, complete with hidden islands, amazons, mother Hera, and great Athena. I see no reason why there can't be a limited transport between Achaea, and the mortal realm.

Atlantis Sourcebook for Champions 4th Edition by Patrick E. Bradley.

There were Amazons amongst the people of Atlantis when the Island sank beneath the waves and they too were transformed by Posiden. The moved into the wilds becoming savage tribes women once again raiding Atlantis.

IIRC that is?

QM

I know Hidden Lands is coming out soon, so I'm wondering if it has anything akin to DC's Thermiscara aka Paradise Island, or even its own version of an "Amazon" Culture (suitably altered with comic book touches)?

I have two ladies in my group, and with Wonder Woman old TV show being out on DVD now, I get the feeling they're eyeing the "First lady of superheroes" as a potential source of inspiration. Just in case they do, if there is such a culture in 'official' 5th Ed Universe already, I'd like to know before starting on my own variation. :)

There are if you wish really hard! (And create it yourself);)