Star Trek TOS characters

paigeoliver

Re: Star Trek TOS characters

Actually, the terrific detailed PDF translation of the FASA Star Trek game that Eodin created has HERO writeups at the end for Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Sulu. There are also Hero Designer prefabs for Kirk and Spock, as well as Sisko and Kira. I'm not sure if the other "Trek HERO" PDF covering Next Gen and DS9 includes those writeups or any other characters from those series, but it would certainly be worth a look.

All those items are available for free download from this section of the great "Star Hero Fandom" website.

Ok, the ones in there are good starts, but the characters are certainly missing limitations. Most of the Trek characters have a bunch of them, but those writeups did not reflect that.

I have been watching the entire Original Series on my computer at work the past week or so (can't watch any tonight, forgot the AC adaptor for my laptop, I'd be out of juice before I finished one episode).

I had forgotten about that, it's been so long since I put those together... but any real 'Trek fan should be able to add McCoys' Psych Lim about Transporters, Kirk's need to seduce every pretty alien woman, etc.

Kirk's need to seduce every pretty alien woman' date=' etc.[/quote']

Doesn't even have to be a woman, watch "Miri" from season one, where Kirk treats a 12 year old girl pretty much exactly the way he treats all the alien women, he just doesn't kiss her.

That "12-year-old" is actually several centuries older than Kirk is. She just never learned how to act like an adult. ;)

Anyway I hate that episode almost as much as I hate And the Children Shall Lead. Friggin' kids and starships don't mix! :thumbdown:mad::thumbdown

Yeah, but end result is that Kirk is still staring into a little girls eyes like he is about to start making out with her.

That one also suffered from a big TOS problem, way too much overlap with other episodes. Oh look another exact clone of earth, what this is like the 19th one (Bread & Circuses and countless other episodes), oh look adults all dead, kids are alive (and the children shall lead), oh look they live forever (various episodes, thinking mainly of another earth clone one, the one with the nice Asians living in the villages and all the white people come and attack and we find out that it is an Earth clone and they are the Americans.), oh no a deadly disease, I hope McCoy can find a cure in time (used at least two other times, probably more like 8 or 9), they stole the communicators (every 3rd episode). The only props I give that episode is that I seem to recall the red shirt living through it. That episode also had plot problems, such as the fact that a good half of the "children" were in their mid teens. That episode COULD have been a lot better, but the few other "children" besides Miri with speaking roles were more annoying than anything else, you didn't like them, you didn't hate them, you just wanted the scene to change to something else.

(Well technically other episodes later overlapped it).

That "12-year-old" is actually several centuries older than Kirk is. She just never learned how to act like an adult. ;)

Anyway I hate that episode almost as much as I hate And the Children Shall Lead. Friggin' kids and starships don't mix! :thumbdown:mad::thumbdown

"The Empath" is easily the most hateful episode of TOS.

JG

I think episode is right up there' date=' but my most hated episode has to be "Spectre of the Gun". Ick ick ick ickity ick.[/quote']

I liked that one.

You could drive a tank through the plot holes, but not as bad as the Empath or the Friendly Angel episode.

JG

Anyone ever written up the red-shirted ensign physical disadvantage? I assume it would be like this.

Physical Limitation "Red shirted Ensign, danger magnet, opponents and danger both intelligent and unintelligent will target this character above others." Common, Total. 20 Points

Red Shirt. Susceptability to being off the enterprise in any situation where the plot would allow death. Very common, damage per 5 minutes, 10d6 (Body AND stun). Total 110 points (per 4th edition rules, I don't have 5th edition handy at the moment).

Red shirted Ensign: Hunted, dangers of opportunity. -14, More powerful, extensive noncombat influence, Harshly punish/kill, limited geographically to Alien planets. Total 25 Points.

All 3 pretty much do the same thing, I like the susceptability one best. Allows the GM/writer to let the Red Shirt live if it serves the plot, otherwise he dies in 5 minutes (just like the show). Plus, I think being fated to die 5 minutes into the mission is worth more than 20 or 25 points. The Physical Limitation version doesn't seem dangerous enough, characters might survive this far too long, while Star Trek redshirts have been known to walk right into bottomless pits all on their own.

There's the Good, Bad, and Ugly...

Good

Trouble with Tribbles, Mudd's Women, The Enterprise Incident, etc.

Bad

Spock's Brain, Let That Be Your Last Battleground, etc.

Ugly

And The Children Shall Lead, The Way To Eden, The Squire Of Gothos