Cool M1 Abrams tank site

Re: Cool M1 Abrams tank site

Yeah, I went to that site a while back while trying to figure out Tank armor stats...

one thing I didn't see back then was the info on what disabled tanks during Operation: Iraqi Freedom. Even incidences where 25mm APDU rounds disabled a tank from the rear, so DEF20 for the sides/rear sounds most definately too high, or APDU rounds are APX2...one or the other!

Yeah, I went to that site a while back while trying to figure out Tank armor stats...

one thing I didn't see back then was the info on what disabled tanks during Operation: Iraqi Freedom. Even incidences where 25mm APDU rounds disabled a tank from the rear, so DEF20 for the sides/rear sounds most definately too high, or APDU rounds are APX2...one or the other!

I have always felt the "Silver Bullets" from the 120mm on the Abrams should be AP x2. They're the best AT round in the world; bar none. Did you see the penetration numbers on the new 3rd generation (M828E3) Silver Bullet? 960mm of hardened rolled armor steel at 2000 meters! That's 37 inches! An M1A2's DU round could easily have poked 6" holes in WW2 era battleships' main armor belts.

I have always felt the "Silver Bullets" from the 120mm on the Abrams should be AP x2. They're the best AT round in the world; bar none. Did you see the penetration numbers on the new 3rd generation (M828E3) Silver Bullet? 960mm of hardened rolled armor steel at 2000 meters! That's 37 inches! An M1A2's DU round could easily have poked 6" holes in WW2 era battleships' main armor belts.

Oh yeah, definately. I write up my 120mm APFSDSDU rounds as 6D6K APX2. (HEAT rounds are AP/PEN) always have!

Of course, the front of my M1A1 is HardenedX2, but the sides/rear/top is only hardened once...

• 3 weeks later...

info on 140mm gun. intresting that it doubles 120mm in engery.

From the strageypage web site.

Lord Ghee

May 20, 2005: China is testing a 140mm gun on one its Type 98 tanks, and has released photos of test firings. Other countries have been investigating this sort of weapon, especially in the 1980s and 1990s. But no one has adopted the larger weapon for their tanks, mainly because the Russian “super tank†(equipped with a 152mm gun) that was supposed to justify it never appeared (when the Cold War ended). Although the 140mm gun can fire an armor piercing round with twice the penetrating power of one fired from a 120mm gun (about 22 mega joules of energy, versus 11), the amount of ammunition carried is cut by about a third (to 20-30 rounds, depending on the tank). The 140mm shell is about fifty percent larger than the 120mm one, and can probably knock out an M-1 tank. The 140mm round weighs 80 pounds, and is loaded in two parts (so a human loader can handle it). The Chinese tank uses an autoloader, so the round can be loaded in one piece.

I'm leary of the battlefield feasibility of the 140mm cannon as a direct-fire tank weapon.

Yeah. Sounds good on paper, but you never know how these things are going to play out until they've been exensively tested in battlefield conditions.

Of course, technologically speaking, its quite feasible. The 120mm has been the supreme tank round for some decades now. It makes sense that an upgrade would be forthcoming sooner or later...

But taking out an M1? Thats a bold statement!

Yeah. Sounds good on paper, but you never know how these things are going to play out until they've been exensively tested in battlefield conditions.

Of course, technologically speaking, its quite feasible. The 120mm has been the supreme tank round for some decades now. It makes sense that an upgrade would be forthcoming sooner or later...

But taking out an M1? Thats a bold statement!

Well, it won't do the Chinese a damn bit of good to build tanks with a 140mm "Abrams Killer" if the Abrams' superior optics and fire control allow the Abrams' to kill the so-called übertank from two klicks away with their "obsolete" 120mm. And the commies still don't have Chobham armor to stop our still deadly Silver Bullets. :D

• 10 months later...

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

Pardon the thread necromancy but...

I am trying to find some counters for modern vehicles (cars, trucks, police cars, etc.). Some stuff similar to the excellent tank that Keith Curtis posted above (post #5). I have had no luck with google and I can't even find any for sale that I am sure are sized right for a 25mm hex grid. Anybody got any leads they'd care to share?

Yeah but it's hard to set the mininatures on top of other minatures or Hotwheels. I want some flat counters, or tiles, that are the right scale. I have a good color printer and would love to print out my own, I just can't find any.

Ah. I have a set of Car Wars flat vehicle counters that would work. It's from the deluxe box set they put out a few years ago. I don't see anything similar on their web site now, but maybe some web searches would find some.

Example: Here's one result from a quick Google search of "car wars counters:"

http://www.esglabs.com/spark/downloads/counters/

The x1.5 set is close but still a little too small (and the drawings are all real low detail). I think that I'll experiment. I'll see if I can find some top views of vehicles and scale them myself. If I come up with something that I like I'll post it here.

Yeah but it's hard to set the mininatures on top of other minatures or Hotwheels. I want some flat counters' date=' or tiles, that are the right scale. I have a good color printer and would love to print out my own, I just can't find any.[/quote']

Try some of these:

http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/stone/Car_3D_%20top%20view-subs-rears.jpg

http://www.resources.com/images/VW%20Top%20View.jpg

http://www.volkswagen.co.jp/cars/GUC/img/new/car_topview.gif

http://www.homeconcepts.ca/garage-plans/garage-images/6160_Lanark/LanMF.gif

http://www.internationalfleetservices.com/intimages/information/carplan.gif

http://www.3dm3.com/tutorials/car3/blueprint.jpg

Keith "10 minutes on Google Images" Curtis

Excellent find by Captain Obvious. I Scaled these to 80% size and they are just about perfect for my gaming mat. 25mm hexes = 6 foot and this makes the cars just about 12 feet long.

Rep to you. :thumbup:

(Well rep as soon at the 24 hour limit will allow me to rep again.) :(

EDIT: Here's your rep.

That was a good find. I searched the forums but couldn't locate that.

Just FYI, I measured a 1990 four door Ford Taurus sedan at 15 feet, which is 4.6 meters or 2.3 hexes. (Hero's on metric now, yes?)

An full sized Ford F150 pick up was 18 feet, or 5.5 meters and 2.75 hexes. Just a sayin'....