Found something today....

Corven_Ren

Hey Herophiles while going through some old boxes in the garage I found my old copy of Dragon magazine #100. From back when they published stuff from other game systems besides D&D. I found an old section containing, what was then new skills & powers for Champions.

The SKills listed are Bouncing, Combat Luck & Extra Life.

The Powers are domination, enragement, power healing, Sliperiness, temporal fugue, transmutation and vertigo.

I know that combat luck, power healing and transmutation are forms of powers now. Basically luck, healing and transformation.

Does any one else have this magazine and do you think any of the others have legitamte uses now?

• 1 month later...

Re: Found something today....

Never saw that, that's quite a find. I'm bumping to see if others have/had this.

Re the powers, were they built on existing powers or were they entirely just unexplained (as to derivation, I mean, from the original rules) new powers? Not sure what domination is, sounds like mind control. Enragement, would be interesting to see, pretty well covered already but this might be a nice shortcut build, especially if it were written up on existing powers. Power healing? I assume that's entirely addressed by current rules unless it isn't what I think. Slipperiness I could see, again especially if it were written up on existing powers, but it would really have to be rewritten now I'm sure. Temporal fugue would be interesting to see but again seems wholly covered now. Transmutation should be wholly covered by current version of Transform. Vertigo would be really nice to see in terms of specifics and again more so if written off existing powers, but this sounds especially interesting since it could be a more elegant version for house rules for possible convenience.

I have that article. (I think I still have it. Had it before the move)

Heck, I was one of the first people inflicted with those by Steve Maurer. :D We called them Maurerisms.

IIRC, that was in the 3rd edition era. Some of the powers or variations came into the BBB or ways of building them. Of course there was an article in Adventurers Club discussing some of these as well

Yeah.

I read, I even used some of the powers, but they never really gelled.

What is even more interesting - go find the issue that has the review of Champions. It is a very positive review, almost glowing, but does point out some flaws.

Reviewer - Scott Bennie (IIRC).

Yeah.

I read, I even used some of the powers, but they never really gelled.

What is even more interesting - go find the issue that has the review of Champions. It is a very positive review, almost glowing, but does point out some flaws.

Reviewer - Scott Bennie (IIRC).

Yeah, it was interesting that the reviews of Champions in the three major mgs of the day - Dragon, Different Worlds, and Space Gamer -were written by me, Steve Perrin, and Aaron Allston, all of who went on to contribute to the system.

I'm glad this got brought up because I have a little surprise for you.. I have a photocopy of that Dragon article on Champions from 1982. I could either scan it in or simply re-type the article here, assuming Scott Bennie ok'ed it.

I'm glad this got brought up because I have a little surprise for you.. I have a photocopy of that Dragon article on Champions from 1982. I could either scan it in or simply re-type the article here' date=' assuming Scott Bennie ok'ed it.[/quote']

Technically, he probably doesn't have the right to okay it, but I doubt Dragon or anyone else would care and it might fall under fair use.

Technically' date=' he probably doesn't have the right to okay it, but I doubt Dragon or anyone else would care and it might fall under fair use.[/quote']

I don't know much about copyright laws but since the article was by Scott Bennie and Champions was reviewed by him, wouldn't he have a say? Also, the article came out in 1982 and it's been 23 years..

I don't know much about copyright laws but since the article was by Scott Bennie and Champions was reviewed by him' date=' wouldn't he have a say?[/quote']

He might have "a" say, but it might also be Dragon has exclusive rights, it just depends, I have no clue how their arrangement is.

EDIT - it's not unusual from what I have heard for both the mag and the author to have a say

Yeah' date=' it was interesting that the reviews of Champions in the three major mgs of the day - Dragon, Different Worlds, and Space Gamer -were written by me, Steve Perrin, and Aaron Allston, all of who went on to contribute to the system.[/quote']

Didn't know the other two (never had any old back issues from them). That's cool. Thanks for the info.

I don't know much about copyright laws but since the article was by Scott Bennie and Champions was reviewed by him' date=' wouldn't he have a say? Also, the article came out in 1982 and it's been 23 years..[/quote']

The review was by Scott. The article was by Steve Maurer. ISTR it showed up in Dragon after an article appeared in Adventurer's Club responding to a letter Steve sent proposing the same powers, explaining why most of them were already covered by the system and weren't needed (though I seem to remember he's the one who proposed breaking Life Support down into lots of smaller component pieces).

EDIT - it's not unusual from what I have heard for both the mag and the author to have a say

The few articles I've published, in legal publications, I've been told I can reprint it as I see fit, but should give attribution to the published source. Apoparently, while my rights to the article can be signed away, it's tough to do, so the publications don't bother.

The review was by Scott. The article was by Steve Maurer. ISTR it showed up in Dragon after an article appeared in Adventurer's Club responding to a letter Steve sent proposing the same powers' date=' explaining why most of them were already covered by the system and weren't needed (though I seem to remember he's the one who proposed breaking Life Support down into lots of smaller component pieces).[/quote']

Steve did have some interesting ideas. He also played around with breaking down Martial Arts instead of just basing it on a multiple of STR.

He is responsible for several approaches I take to RPGs. Some good, some bad. I think he's responsible for me disliking RuneQuack and Mentalists. ;)

Last I know, he's a family man in the Portland area with two very polite children and pursuing writing.

The few articles I've published' date=' in legal publications, I've been told I can reprint it as I see fit, but should give attribution to the published source. Apoparently, while my rights to the article can be signed away, it's tough to do, so the publications don't bother.[/quote']

Thanks, I wasn't sure how this played out in writing for mags typically, I've had a couple little things in an independent newspaper but they were just record reviews and for a friend who ran it.

I know with the recording industry artists basically have no rights. :(