PBEM Submissions: NorCal Heroes!

Iuz the Evil

NorCal Heroes PBEM Accepting Character Submissions:

The heroes of Northern California have joined forces against the endless super-criminals, eco-terrorists, mutagenic spilling corporate reps, and common scum who trouble the good people of the Central Valley and San Francisco Bay Area (and to a lesser extent the Northern Valley and North Coast). Encouraged to join one another by the retiring Silver Age hero Sonnenstern, they must carve out their destiny and that of the region… while ever more individuals manifest powers benign and terrifying as each generation passes. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, shadowy individuals work to further their evil agenda…

Can you protect the masses of humanity from those who would do them harm?

NorCal Heroes is going to be a (largely) fifth edition PBEM. Characters will be individuals with abilities sufficient to make an impact on the region, either positive or otherwise, who have chosen to join together at the behest of a retiring superhero (Sonnenstern – cold war era German super, who relocated to the Sacramento area after the fall of the Berlin Wall) who wishes to leave as his legacy a lasting group of protectors for the region. The world is largely as listed in the core Champions setting, with classic and new foes for

the heroes to encounter (timeline will be posted on group page). The PCs were selected for their power, skill, and ability to use their gifts judiciously (though not necessarily all of these at once). All characters must set aside 3 points for the "NorCal Heroes" package (as follows). This campaign's tone is going to be fairly four color, but some iron age themes may be explored as well (not going to go all "Authority" unless the players take it there). Player autonomy in decision making is encouraged, though logical repercussions for behavior will be in effect. All characters are assumed to have a standard heroic aversion to killing (0 points) unless otherwise specified and approved by the GM.

Feel free to contact me for further information/questions.

Character Creation:

Base Character Points: 250

Disadvantage points: 150

Maximum Disadvantages from one category: 75

Active points: 75

Dmg Classes: 15

Defense: Normal: 40/ resistant: 30

Combat value: 14 with levels

NorCal Heroes Package:

Fringe Benefit (Local Police Powers)

KS: Known Superhuman Criminals

Watched by Local and National News Agencies, 11/less

Team Base Donation

Team Communicator

E-mail Text Character Submissions To: NorCal Submissions

Re: PBEM Submissions: NorCal Heroes!

It this a four color (or four color-ish) game? Or is it more Iron Age, Dark Champions, or other genre? Also, does this take place in the standard CU, or in you own? (I'm guessing the latter, but just want to clarify.)

I have an idea for a character that is somewhat pulpish in that although she does have some superhuman powers, her main offensive ability would be provided by a pair of BFHGs. Would this be appropriate, since she could aim for less lethal shots on targets so that theywould like not be killed outright by her?

It's four color-ish, more "bronze age" than silver. There will be some Iron Age issues that arise - in relation to lethality, collateral damage, and social themes mostly. NPCs from Dark Champions sourcebooks may be referenced, and some may be encountered, but it's not a Dark Champions campaign per se. It's "my own" Universe, but there are events from the CU incorporated (to the tune of "heavily derived from" - familiar faces from 4th Edition and lots of my own NPCs people this region). Events differ in some significant ways, but this may or may not be relevant to character development, I'm finishing up consolidating the timeline for clarification on this. It's pretty faithful through the Champions Universe (4th Edition) timeline but add five years to most of the dates to make it more 'current'... which would end in 1997. More details on this will follow in a couple days... I've focused more on compiling game resources (such as interactive city maps & pics) for the PBEM than the timeline, but would be happy to assist if there's a specific question regarding a character or event.

BFHGs are acceptable, as long as you're not going "casual killer". You might consider variable ammo types for reduced lethality (SRun style gel rounds or something of that nature? Actually, there's a number of rather Dark Champions real-world ammo types that would reduce penetration at the very least as an option). I will be happy to provide additional feedback once I see the character.

The group's founder/mentor, Sonnenstern, is a retiring Silver Age hero. His choices of group members will be colored by his Silver Age value set... casual killers need not apply. However, as you will be operating as deputized individuals with regional law enforcement authority (at least until a PC's actions result in this being rescinded), it would be acceptable to use potentially lethal force in some situations... very case by case, should be "heroic reluctance to kill".

I'd buy Paramedic if you get the big handguns and lethal rounds, or powers with similar impact on non-resistant defenses. :winkgrin:

I have never done a PBEM game. How much of a time commitment is involved? I only reliably get to my computer on the weekends.

Aside from that I would love to play a game set in my old stomping grounds. As much as they still resemble when I lived there (I can't believe Birdcage Walk is gone.)

Well, as for a time commitment, I'd have to say it's largely what you want to put into it. Minimum of weekly is largely the standard I've seen, sometimes people get going faster, presently (ahem) one I'm in is going much slower. I'd say weekend access isn't a problem, per se.

If you are interested, e-mail me a character. (Yeah it's wierd how much the area has changed... I grew up here, and moved back a couple years ago. I'm sure there will be some anachronisms in my descriptors, heh, the players may note the big concrete dinosaur play structures near Macy's for instance... I keep forgetting they're at the Sacramento Zoo now).

They are? That's crazy. How do you move a dinosaur anyway?

I was crushed to see the comic store where I bought Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen eradicated. Of course the comics glut of the early 90's pretty much crushed Comics and Comix, so maybe it was a mercy killing.

Any prohibited builds or power structures?

Well, try not to do anything that's gonna make the GMs eyes bug out in disbelief that you'd try such an obvious exploit :nonp: (like so). Y'know, like dumping all your points into a persistent desolid (barely affected by anything whatsoever) and taking "strength affects real world" and a buttload of martial arts or something like that? Actually that would be pretty cool, but I'd still be hesitant to consider it acceptable, 'cuz I'd be spending too many of the badguys points on "Affects Desolid" all the time.

EDIT: I might even let that one go, barring invisibility or some sort of wonky other defenses on top of the desolid. Just go ahead and make your character build, it's pretty much all fair game.

How do you feel about VPP's? Specifically a magician with a "Spell Pool" that can be changed only between adventures (by hitting the old spell books), but could be set up with just about any kind of spell I could sell you on.

On a different tack, how about characters who can't really hide thier distinctive features (like Marvel's Beast)?

How do you feel about VPP's? Specifically a magician with a "Spell Pool" that can be changed only between adventures (by hitting the old spell books), but could be set up with just about any kind of spell I could sell you on.

On a different tack, how about characters who can't really hide thier distinctive features (like Marvel's Beast)?

Either of those is fine, but if you do a VPP as described I'd want to see a pre-set "spell list" as in "approved by the GM" between those adventures. I don't have a problem with VPP's per se, but obviously they need to be handled carefully so as to avoid the possibility of exploitation. A restriction such as "only changed between adventures" with "can only chose spells from predetermined list" is in my mind a good way to manage this (I'm fine with a real long list heh). Just want to watch out for filling a VPP with rules exploiting spells or the like.

Distinctive features that cannot be hidden would be fine in this campaign. The heroes will have a public base (in the Sacramento River Pyramid near the Tower Bridge), and are going to be deputized as state police (barring player action to jeopardize this). Hence the minimum 'heroic reluctance to kill' without prior approval. Might be a problem if the Distinctive Features somehow are harmful to the public (so horrific as to cause riots or something like that).

I'm going to be closing submissions on this campaign on Sunday (5/22). I need to have everyone's character by then (preferably before) in order to review and give feedback.

I'd like to join, but I've never built a character in Hero System before. I just bought the Sidekick intro last week. Would I still be welcome if I can put together a character by the weekend?

I've never played a game in Hero before, so I might need a little extra help. If that seems like too much work for the GM, I understand.

On a bright note, I live in downtown Sac, so I'm very familiar with the Zigarot building and the surrounding areas.

Please let me know at your earliest convenience...If selected, I'll try to get my character in as soon as possible since I'll probably need more feedback than anyone.

Oh yeah' date=' are you using perks and everyman skills? (And if so, which everyman skills?)[/quote']

Yes to perks, everyman skills are optional as part of the character build. I'm not going to make everyone buy FAM w/ driving or purchase a 1 point California Driver's License. If you want Wealthy, you gotta pay for it though. Likewise if you want a license to practice a profession which requires one under state or federal law (ex. LCSW - Licensed Clinical Social Worker or a Board Approved M.D.). I'm open to any submissions through 5/22, so far we have one finalized approved character with several others eagerly awaited. The approved character is a martial artist archetype, if that is helpful for determining builds. This would not necessarily disallow others with that archetype (it's a broad subgenre after all, Iron Fist isn't the same as the Beast), but there would need to be distinct differences so as not to "step on each others shtick".

I'd be happy to help with character builds if people are unfamiliar with the system, and offer feedback if the character seems workable in the campaign (it's a dynamic process in my mind, if there's something I feel just won't work I'll offer an alternative or suggest you spend your points elsewhere). I also should take this moment to plug Enforcer84's "Hero a Day" thread for anyone who hasn't looked at it. Many, many, many very impressive characters for help with power builds and ideas. If you're new to the system, take a gander... it's worth your time.

I'm thinking a group size of 5-6 is where I'll cap this thing. We'll see how it ends up after all submissions are in.

Yes to perks' date=' everyman skills are optional as part of the character build. [/quote']

What skills would you suggest as the standard Everyman skill package for your game though, since I forgot to put those on BW's sheet, I should probably add them.

csyphrett, got your submission, he's very cool. Feedback is back at ya. Look forward to your response etc etc.

With regard to the "Everyman Skills" question, I'm not that hung up on it. Feel free to get FAM (8/less) with up to three skills you feel would be reflected by your character's background, and I'll review (and subsequently approve or disapprove) them. I'd expect FAM w/ things like KS or PS reflecting areas of interest, would allow a combat driving FAM if your character was a bus or cab driver, that sort of thing. I'll have more of a problem with a FAM w/ SS: Quantum Mechanics, obviously. I hope that's obviously, otherwise we'll be talking about munchkiny tendencies heh.

I don't worry that much about Everyman skills, frankly. It's highly unlikely I'll go ballistic because you don't have every single point minmaxed so that you can buy "FAM w/ breathing air in public". I agree with RDU Neil on this one, sometimes less is more. If your character decides to try programming a computer, you'd better have computer programming (or you'll have pretty much zero chance of success). If your character wants to start up a Toyota Corrolla and drive two blocks to the grocery store, you don't need to buy the vehicle transport skill unless it's clearly outside your scope of experience. If in doubt, e-mail me and ask.

EDIT: Just thought I'd clarify, there is a perfectly good reason to buy TF: ground vehicles, (and other similar "everyman" skills) despite my allowing people to drive without the skill. If something happens which requires you to check for control of the car (say a flat tire, getting shot at by a bad guy, bumped by a falling building, etc.) would you rather have an 8/less FAM or an 11/less skill roll?