O.m.a.c.

shaunclinton

Re: O.m.a.c.

Waitaminute...?

Wonder Woman is blind?

Blue Beetle is dead!?

This is Batman's fault??!!

God almighty, I can't keep up with the storylines in comics anymore. Level with me guys; do I need to go out and buy everything with "Countdown to whatever Crisis" to follow this thing, or can I get away with just buying one or two series in the arc? I mean, I love my comics, and I crave my stories, but there is no way I'm quitting smoking just so I can follow the downfall of the DC Universe... well... maybe I could cut back a bit.

Well, there's only one "Countdown" book that you should read, and then the actual "Crisis" series will be out soon. "OMAC" is a miniseries, as well, but if you really want to avoid all that crap just peruse this thread (or others that will likely spawn) and go have a smoke.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder Woman Blinded herself to fight a gorgon (Medusa to be exact).

And the for shadowing in the Green Lantern #4 with Spectre makes me think Ted Kord will be the next host. And the resent apperance of the Superman of Earth 1 in a story arc of Superman/Batman and the statement of Hecord Hammond at in GL:Rebirth #6 makes me think we are going to see a return of a pre-Crisis JLA/JSA in Infinate Crisis.

As far as OMAC - Apperantly Superman leveled an OMAC unit designed for him.

The reason why I think Ted's gonna be back as Blue Beetle is because of how they set it up and how everything is harkening to earlier versions. In the earlier incarnations of the Blue Beetle, he had to die first. This sort of suggests that Ted will be back as Beetle.

The way Day of Vengeance is going, I think Ragman will be the new Spectre.

I'd second the Ragman for Spectre likelihood... plus seems like a (reasonably) legitimate way to spice up both characters if they keep the 'rags' schtick.

As for BB, he'll be back when he's needed with no doubt a super-upgrade.

I'm quite intriuged as to how Batman is gonna handle his three (more?) O.M.A.C. drones (programs? robots?) in the next ish, although Supes made extremely short work of one this week and Batman is the creator and all.

So which book do you think Infinite Crisis will spawn out of? I'm sure it'll pick up on elements of all the books but can't decide which will be the main one. Day of Vengeance seems like the most likely at the moment, but that puts me off suggesting it. The Rann/Thanagar war seems too straightforward at the moment, but then it's just kicking off. Although the story is the least interesting from my p.o.v. at the moment, I think there's a strong possibility that Villain's United could be the one to watch.

I think each actually contribute to setting the stage, but the bulk of Infinite Crisis will come from the regulars (i.e. Sups/Batman, Titans and Outsiders, etc.) If any miniseries is going to have a direct tie-in/lead in it'll be the Return of Donna Trois.

Wonder Woman Blinded herself to fight a gorgon (Medusa to be exact).

Couldn't she just have used a blindfold for that? Or merely kept her eyes shut? It seems to be that response to the situation was way over the top.

Rucka went for traditional Greek myth and not popular myth. In traditional myth, no one could "avoid" looking at Medusa without some other implement. So if you tried to face her with your eyes closed, you couldn't and you'd still become stone.

From what I understand, what happened is Wonderwoman wore a blindfold that got torn off. Wonderwoman--knowing what would happen quickly tore her own eyes out so that she can continue fighting medusa.

I haven't read the comic, but heard about it and am anxiously awaiting the TPB. The TPB on Rucka's Wonderwoman run have shown a really awesome comic.

It really is a must read for his approach to the character.

Rucka went for traditional Greek myth and not popular myth. In traditional myth, no one could "avoid" looking at Medusa without some other implement. So if you tried to face her with your eyes closed, you couldn't and you'd still become stone.

From what I understand, what happened is Wonderwoman wore a blindfold that got torn off. Wonderwoman--knowing what would happen quickly tore her own eyes out so that she can continue fighting medusa.

I haven't read the comic, but heard about it and am anxiously awaiting the TPB. The TPB on Rucka's Wonderwoman run have shown a really awesome comic.

It really is a must read for his approach to the character.

Still seems silly to me, a brighter idea would've been to fly off and get a blindfold that was really difficult to tear off, or one that had a reflective surface so that when Medusa tried to tear it off she'd be turned to stone cause she'd seen her own reflection.

That is, of course, merely my own opinion and there was probably a very good idea why my plan wouldn't have worked in the framework of the story

Couldn't she get GL to whip her up some bright green eyes?

Or maybe Cyborg could hook her up with the same guy that did his!

When you think about there isn't an excuse for anyone in the DCU, especially not super-heroes, to suffer from any kind of disability!!!

Oracle really needs a visit to the purple ray zone, you'd think Bats would hook her up... hmmm, maybe he's happy having her behind the desk so to speak!

Couldn't she get GL to whip her up some bright green eyes?

Or maybe Cyborg could hook her up with the same guy that did his!

When you think about there isn't an excuse for anyone in the DCU, especially not super-heroes, to suffer from any kind of disability!!!

Oracle really needs a visit to the purple ray zone, you'd think Bats would hook her up... hmmm, maybe he's happy having her behind the desk so to speak!

You'd think Dr. Fate or Zatanna would be able to reverse the damage with little difficulty wouldn't you?

"rednoW namoW! Tel ruoy seye eb delaeh, won!"

That ought to do the trick nicely.

The thing for me is that everyone has called Batman overly paranoid for years. He plans too much, he wants to figure out how to take out his allies, he's a bad man for planning against his friends...

The one thing I liked about Identity Crisis is that it gave a pretty plausible (for comics anyway) reason for the Bat to be THAT paranoid and to have contingency plans against any/everyone.

The one thing I seriously took away from IC was that he did have a reason. Doc Light knew something was wrong, and he was basically lobotomized. The bat, who just lost some time, surely must have had something niggling in the back of his head for years that kept saying "You can't trust them...."

In fact, my first comment after reading IC was to say "Well, I guess the JLA should collectively take a long walk off a short pier over the whole Tower of Babel thing eh?"

As to Blue beetle...this looks like a seriously missed opportunity to me. I mean, the whole thing that kept him from getting "respect" was that he was Batman-lite in the physical realm. Okay, give him the amulet, slap some powers on him and give him the physical prowess he nedded to back up his mental capabilities.

But it seems that when DC doesn't know what to do with a character, but they know people still have a fondness for them, well, kill 'em off and let them be the spectre for a while. Yuck.

Still, I haven't winced near as much as I did through the Avengers disassembled arc...

Sounds to me like they wrote IC to give them an excuse for Bat's Psycho Paranoid Behavior for the last two decades...

But that's just me.

Retcon Waves Destroy Continuity: Film At 11!

Actually, what makes more irritated than anything else is this business of not smacking the writers in the head when they decide to retcon comics. I really don't care one way or the other how "kewl" or "relevant" a story is, if you have to set fire to the past to write it. Am I supposed to be impressed that Jean Loring is now a deranged murderess 'cause she wants her man back after divorcing and dumping him years ago? Am I supposed to care when the Scarlet Witch spends 30+ years becoming a strong-willed individual only to have a slash&burn pulled on her "revealing" she's been warping reality all this time? Am I supposed to be other than annoyed that Dr Light is now a physical powerhouse that the Flash can't pound into ground chuck in a microsecond just cause he is shown to have raped Sue Dibny. I don't care what level of psychotic glee he's feeling, Barry should have been able to beat him like a drum, let alone what Hawkman could have done if violent head trauma is called for. Ralph would have wrung his neck like a chicken or done what he's threatened before and ripped Light's lungs out. (This was in an old issue of Blue Devil in a news interview about his public ID, BTW)

Heck, now it's been shown that the Savage Land interferes with Wolverine's enhanced senses and Spider-Woman's brain cell usage. After all, suddenly Wolvie can't track people in the Savage Land? First time for everything I suppose. He apparently has forgotten what Cap, Spidey and Iron Man look like as well, but never fear, Spider-Woman, who's know Wolvie for years can't recognize him either and wrenches the arm with three metal claws extending from it around and stabs Wolvie in the throat with his own claws before belately figuring anything out. Gah!

And another thing, why is Batman more worried about the superheroes than the villains? "Oh, if Superman were to lose control he could kill hundred and thousands of people! Maybe. Y'know, like, it could happen." Right, Bruce, but let's not worry about any of the bad guys out there who are already killing hundreds of people. Remember the Joker? You know, pasty white skin, grins a lot, kills people like a fat guy eats fries. Messily and with little discrimination as to people's sensibilities, that is. Couldn't pony up a few thousand to lo-jack the Arkham inmates just in case they go carrying on in high spirits as they are wont to do? "What's that, Joker has gotten 20 feet from the asylum grounds and is convulsing and vomiting from the control chip in his head? Good. Toss him back in his cell."

Feh.

We were talking about retconing on the ruin character thread in NGD. I think it's ironic that Batman is being written as so awesome compared to other heroes when as a kid I remember picking up Brave and Bold, and other heroes were always bailing his happy butt out of trouble.

There's retcon for you.

CES

Re: Retcon Waves Destroy Continuity: Film At 11!

Actually, what makes more irritated than anything else is this business of not smacking the writers in the head when they decide to retcon comics. I really don't care one way or the other how "kewl" or "relevant" a story is, if you have to set fire to the past to write it. Am I supposed to be impressed that Jean Loring is now a deranged murderess 'cause she wants her man back after divorcing and dumping him years ago? Am I supposed to care when the Scarlet Witch spends 30+ years becoming a strong-willed individual only to have a slash&burn pulled on her "revealing" she's been warping reality all this time? Am I supposed to be other than annoyed that Dr Light is now a physical powerhouse that the Flash can't pound into ground chuck in a microsecond just cause he is shown to have raped Sue Dibny. I don't care what level of psychotic glee he's feeling, Barry should have been able to beat him like a drum, let alone what Hawkman could have done if violent head trauma is called for. Ralph would have wrung his neck like a chicken or done what he's threatened before and ripped Light's lungs out. (This was in an old issue of Blue Devil in a news interview about his public ID, BTW)

Heck, now it's been shown that the Savage Land interferes with Wolverine's enhanced senses and Spider-Woman's brain cell usage. After all, suddenly Wolvie can't track people in the Savage Land? First time for everything I suppose. He apparently has forgotten what Cap, Spidey and Iron Man look like as well, but never fear, Spider-Woman, who's know Wolvie for years can't recognize him either and wrenches the arm with three metal claws extending from it around and stabs Wolvie in the throat with his own claws before belately figuring anything out. Gah!

And another thing, why is Batman more worried about the superheroes than the villains? "Oh, if Superman were to lose control he could kill hundred and thousands of people! Maybe. Y'know, like, it could happen." Right, Bruce, but let's not worry about any of the bad guys out there who are already killing hundreds of people. Remember the Joker? You know, pasty white skin, grins a lot, kills people like a fat guy eats fries. Messily and with little discrimination as to people's sensibilities, that is. Couldn't pony up a few thousand to lo-jack the Arkham inmates just in case they go carrying on in high spirits as they are wont to do? "What's that, Joker has gotten 20 feet from the asylum grounds and is convulsing and vomiting from the control chip in his head? Good. Toss him back in his cell."

Feh.

Dude, yer bummin' me out. Not that it's not all true (to at least some degree), but still...just cut it out and let me have my escapist fantasies.

Sounds to me like they wrote IC to give them an excuse for Bat's Psycho Paranoid Behavior for the last two decades...

But that's just me.

Not only that, but to shove an Iron Age sensibility into the Silver Age.(Anything the heroes do is the wrong way to handle the villians)

If the Women in Refrigerators website was still updated, Identity Crisis would have placed there for that entire debacle.

As to Brother Eye, Batman has all these contigency plans for the heroes, but nothing for the villians. What is he going to do against the Shark, Sinestro, Evil Star, Mordru, and others?

The villians get away with anything(including murder) with nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

The heroes are despised, no matter how often they save the city/world

I thought the Iron Age was over. Maybe it is. It is now the Iron Pyrite Age. At first glance it looks to be a Golden Age, but in reality it is just as bad as the Iron Age(At least for DC and Marvel)

Re: Retcon Waves Destroy Continuity: Film At 11!

Dude' date=' yer bummin' me out. Not that it's not all true (to at least some degree), but still...just cut it out and let me have my escapist fantasies.[/quote']

Don't worry, these fits only hit me once every couple months. Now I've vented and won't harp on it for a while.