Norse Gods

knightofpholtus

Re: Norse Gods

I'd caution about using anything close to divinity, deity, etc. From some of the verbal semantics just on the board here, I'm absolutely positive that some non-gaming group would decide that this was an offensive title.

Heck, I'd caution that there should be a huge disclaimer in the front about this not being a book on worship at all, but on how to represent beings from Mythology in a gaming setting.

Anyone else remember the WoTC books that covered designing planes of existance, etc... It was just before the Magic Card stuff started and they wound up dropping that line IIRC. I remember the first couple books were good and then the last one just didn't seem to click with me.

Has Hero Games ever done anything with the Norse gods? I know that they did the Greek gods for 4th ed. If so' date=' in what book?[/quote']

Well, there is another option that no one here has considered, yet. ICE's old "Campaign Classics" had an underrepresented book called Vikings. Not only did it deal with the mythology of the Norse peoples, it dealt with their culture. I'm not sure who the author is, but the research was top-notch, and is widely regarded as one of the best RPG supplements on the topic. And if I recall correctly, it even had notes for the Hero System, though I may be mistaken about that. You can find it here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558060472/ref=dp_nav_0/002-1650374-0426409?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

It is also listed on Derek Hiemforth's Complete Hero System Products List, so that seems to indicate to me that it does, indeed, contain Hero System stats. You can find that here:

http://rhinobunny.com/derek/champions/herogameslist.html

I've seen Vikings. It is indeed a good book, with nice coverage of Norse culture and mythology, and everything in it that had game stats was dual-statted for Rolemaster and HERO.

The thing is, while it went into fair detail on the mythogeographic world as the Norse believed it to be, and included a few supernatural creatures and a selection of magic spells and artifacts, it provided no game stats for the gods, Giants and the like. In that way it differed from its predecessors in ICE's "Campaign Classics" series, Mythic Greece: The Age of Heroes, and Mythic Egypt, which included fairly detailed god stats.

Because absolutely NO ONE asked... I thought I'd post two characters I created for my Silver Knights universe. One is Thor on about 500 points and the other is Tyr at about 635. They are in transistion as I figure out what I want them to represent. Still, I thought people would get a kick out of it.

Thor

Player:

Val Char Cost
65 STR 55
20 DEX 30
30 CON 40
20 BODY 20
13 INT 3
20 EGO 20
30 PRE 20
14 COM 2
23 PD 10
20 ED 14
5 SPD 20
19 REC 0
60 END 0
68 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM013" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 234

Cost Power END
60 Hammer: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Physical Manifestation (-1/4)
2u 1) Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)
5u 2) Energy Blast 15d6 (75 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4) 7
3u 3) Force Wall (12 PD/12 ED/6 Power Defense) (75 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4) 7
48 God of Storms: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4)
4u 1) Call Storms I: Change Environment 8" radius, -2 to Normal Hearing PER Rolls, Varying Effect Limited Group (Any type of storm; +1/2), MegaScale (1" = 100 km; +3/4), Can Be Scaled Down: 1" = 1km (+1/4) (55 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) 5
5u 2) Call Storms II: Change Environment 64" radius, -2 to Sight Group PER Rolls, Varying Effect Limited Group (any type of storm; +1/2) (57 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) 6
5u 3) Frigid Winds: Change Environment 16" radius, +3 Points of Telekinetic STR, -5 Temperature Level Adjustment, Multiple Combat Effects (57 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) 6
5u 4) Call Lightning: Energy Blast 12d6 (60 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4) 6
30 Flight 15" 3
10 Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)
16 Godly Constitution: Life Support (Extended Breathing; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal)
13 Godly Constitution: Healing 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
5 Indomitable: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Defense (-1)
Powers Cost: 211

Cost Skill
2 Animal Handler 15-
5 KS: Norse Mythology 14-
3 SS: Meterology 12-
3 Oratory 15-
3 PS: Bardic Singing (PRE based) 15-
3 PS: Storm God (PRE based) 15-
2 WF: Common Melee Weapons
3 Teamwork 13-
16 +2 with All Combat
10 +2 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 50

Cost Perk
6 Reputation: Powerful hero who has returned from the unknown (World-wide) 14-, +2/+2d6
Perks Cost: 6

Cost Talent
4 Environmental Movement (no penalties in stormy weather)
Talents Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 505

Val Disadvantages
10 Susceptibility: from weapons of faith, 2d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)
20 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Very Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Code of Honor (Common, Strong)
15 Psychological Limitation: Noblesse Oblige (Common, Strong)
0 Psychological Limitation: Stoic and Somber (Common, Moderate, Custom Adder)
20 Hunted: FIST 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Harshly Punish)
30 30 pts of Hunted
15 Social Limitation: Public Identity Frequently (11-), Major
10 Distinctive Features: 6'6" tall huge man with vivid red hair and beard (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
15 Other Disadvantages

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 155

Total Experience Available: 200

Experience Unspent: 45

A little simpler in terms of format. I still don't quite of the hang of exports:

Tyr

Player:

Val Char Cost

65 STR 55

20 DEX 30

35 CON 50

20 BODY 20

13 INT 3

23 EGO 26

30 PRE 20

14 COM 2

23 PD 10

20 ED 13

5 SPD 20

20 REC 0

70 END 0

74 STUN 3

6" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

13" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 252

Cost Power

63 Spear: Multipower, 79-point reserve, (79 Active Points); all slots Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

6u 1) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 3d6 (5 1/2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (79 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

5u 2) Thrown Spear: Killing Attack - Ranged 3d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (79 Active Points); Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

33 Great Shield: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); Limited Power Can use only one power at a time (-1/4); all slots Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2u 1) Force Wall (10 PD/10 ED) (50 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2u 2) Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), + 4 levels (28 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

2u 3) (Total: 20 Active Cost, 16 Real Cost) +2 with DCV (10 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8) plus +2 OCV with block (10 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4) (Real Cost: 8)

8 War God's Blessing: +1 with All Combat, Usable Simultaneously (up to 8 people at once; +1) (16 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Limited Power Does not apply to self (-1/2)

30 Flight 15"

10 Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED)

19 Godly Constitution: Life Support (Extended Breathing; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in Intense Cold)

5 Godly Constitution: Power Defense (5 points)

22 Godly Constitution: Healing 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Limited Power Cannot heal back Tyr's right hand (+0), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Hour (-2 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Limited Power Resurrection heals at only 2d6 Body per month (-1/4)

5 Indominitable Will: Mental Defense (10 points total)

10 Fearless: +20 PRE (20 Active Points); Limited Power Only for Defense (-1)

10 Master of Truth: Detect Lies 17- (Unusual Group), Sense

Powers Cost: 232

Cost Skill

10 Defense Maneuver I-IV

3 Scholar

5 1) KS: Law (6 Active Points) 15-

4 2) KS: Legal Systems (5 Active Points) 14-

4 3) KS: Nordic Mythology (5 Active Points) 14-

3 Oratory 15-

3 Jack of All Trades

2 1) PS: Bardic Singing (PRE based) (3 Active Points) 15-

5 2) PS: Lawyer (INT based) (6 Active Points) 15-

2 3) PS: Warleader (PRE based) (3 Active Points) 15-

2 WF: Common Melee Weapons

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 13-

3 Tracking 12-

40 +5 with All Combat

Skills Cost: 92

Cost Perk

6 Reputation: Powerful hero that upholds justice (World-wide) 14-, +2/+2d6

3 Well-Connected

9 15 pts of contacts

1 Fringe Benefit: License to practice law

Perks Cost: 19

Cost Talent

19 Combat Sense (Sense) 14-

3 Lightsleep

18 Universal Translator 15- (23 Active Points); Limited Power Earthly Languages Only (-1/4)

Talents Cost: 40

Total Character Cost: 635

Pts. Disadvantage

10 Physical Limitation: Missing right hand (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

5 Physical Limitation: Cannot Lie (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code of Honor (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Must see Justice done (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfident (Very Common, Moderate)

0 Psychological Limitation: Stoic and Somber (Common, Moderate, Psych Limit point total reached)

50 50 pts of Hunted

15 Social Limitation: Public Identity Frequently (11-), Major

10 Distinctive Features: Huge man (6'6") with silver hair and beard (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

10 Other Disadvantages

Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 285

Total Experience Available: 285

Experience Unspent: 0

The personalities above are similar because I was going to use Tyr on the team but I really liked Thor more. The power levels fluctuate a bit depending on where in the storyline they would be. The Thor posted is the power level for Thor on a team of 350 pointers to try to simulate him being the team's heavy hitter though he's not the most efficient combat monster out there.

The personalities above are similar because I was going to use Tyr on the team but I really liked Thor more. The power levels fluctuate a bit depending on where in the storyline they would be. The Thor posted is the power level for Thor on a team of 350 pointers to try to simulate him being the team's heavy hitter though he's not the most efficient combat monster out there.

Thor at least seems appropriate.

JG