Norse Gods

knightofpholtus

Re: Norse Gods

Has Hero Games ever done anything with the Norse gods? I know that they did the Greek gods for 4th ed. If so' date=' in what book?[/quote']

Champions Presents #1 had stats for Thor in it. That was an old 4th Ed book. Oh, and the 4th Ed Champions Universe had Ymir in it as a combination great menace/plot device.

Not quite the gods, but the 4E Dark Champions sourcebook included a hi-tech mercenary team, The Berserks, who styled themselves after figures from Norse mythology in their names and weaponry. They included Thor (impact-enhancing gauntlets), Heimdal (sonic blaster), and Loki (flamethrower). They used team code signals in Old Norse to confuse their opponents.

Note that in the current CU the realms of the Norse and other mythic gods are part of the extra-dimensional realm of Faerie/ the Land of Legends, as described in The Mystic World. No real details on the gods themselves, though. OTOH the Dragon, one of the great mystic menaces of the CU, has been equated with Jormungand as well as other mythic draconian/ophidian monsters.

If you mean like writeups of gods, heroes, monsters, enchanted items, and what-all from the sagas, nope, 'fraid not. Norse mythology is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I certainly wouldn't mind writing about it for gaming purposes, but the opportunity hasn't arisen. I have a few ideas that might one day crystallize into a book, but for now they remain merely ideas. ;)

If you mean like writeups of gods' date=' heroes, monsters, enchanted items, and what-all from the sagas, nope, 'fraid not. Norse mythology is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I certainly wouldn't mind writing about it for gaming purposes, but the opportunity hasn't arisen. I have a few ideas that might one day crystallize into a book, but for now they remain merely ideas. ;)[/quote']

Suppose you do write the book. The release schedule for 2007 hasn’t been release yet, so it could even be quite soon. Here are some thoughts:

• Make the book generic. Previously there has at least been an Olympian book, but I think it would be better if the book handled several mythologies. Wizards of the coast’s Deities & Demigods might be too much of a monster manual, but it’s heading in the right direction.
  • A middle-way between a monster manual and just stating a general descript of the deities concept, could be to give loads of templates. In that way only an example pantheon or two needs to be given explicitly stats.
  • They way gods are handled in superhero magazines are as persons with powers, rather than abstract phenomena. Unfortunately in role-playing games they tend to be treated as abstract phenomena, or “just†plot hooks. The story about Thor would be quite boring if Loki weren’t given a distinct personality.

Actually, the more I think about the idea of an Ultimate book on this subject, the more intrigued I am. Imagine exploring the issues of running gods and godlike beings in different genres: fantasy, supers, horror, science fiction. Mythological gods, Lovecraftian gods, highly evolved/advanced races, cosmic entities, conceptual beings. As far as examples go, there are a ton of them already written up in various Hero books. You could draw together representative ones and expand on them.

"Sigh!" Probably never happen. :(

Oooh... I can see it now:

:hail:THE ULTIMATE DEITY! :angel:

(Well, maybe a slightly different title... that one could draw protestors.) :fear:

That's funny I was about to use the same title. :jawdrop:

(No that the choice of title is that unique, but still.)

"Sigh!" Probably never happen. :(

Believe it or not, but what really counts for Hero Games is selling books. If enough people wants the book, then maybe... ;)

Gets my vote.

Unless my math is way of, the count is now up at 3 (you, me and Lord Laiden).

There's a big difference between an Ultimate book and what most people seem to want. An Ultimage Divinity would be a book telling people how to design gods and pantheons and what-not. A Pantheon book would have write ups for gods of different pantheons. I'm not sure which I'd be more interested in.

Of course the nature of the Hero meta-verse makes a pantheon book complicated. God are either 5,000 point characters [making them impossible to be played in Champions] or more "normal" level [like those described in the back of CKC] which them makes them too weak for a lot of Fantasy Hero campaigns.