Controlling Fire

I'm wondering how you'd create a power or group of powers dealing with the generation and control of fire. Telekinesis (Only with fire) seems like a good bet, though I'm not sure how you'd tell how much fire you can control. This also doesn't cover the generation of fire. How would you guys do this? Thanks in advance!

Re: Controlling Fire

I'm wondering how you'd create a power or group of powers dealing with the generation and control of fire. Telekinesis (Only with fire) seems like a good bet' date=' though I'm not sure how you'd tell how much fire you can control. This also doesn't cover the generation of fire. How would you guys do this? Thanks in advance![/quote']

There are rules for using TK to effect energy. It is based on the Damage Classes of the energy. I believe for every 5 pts of TK lifting strength, you can move around 1 DC of energy.

As for starting fires, this is just a special effect of an Energy Blast or Ranged Killing Attack.

If you want the fire to spread on it's own, you may want to make it Sticky and Uncontrolled.

You could look into putting various kinds of fire powers in an Elemental Control or Multipower. If you look in the online UNTIL Superpowers Database you'll find a few, and if you pick up the paper USPD you should be able to find more. You can also look in various online Fantasy Hero resources; fire spells might be good for inspiration.

I think I'll beat CourtFool to this one. Point totals not calculated because I forget the value of some Modifiers. To all of those who don't like, "Requires End Only to Activate," on non-Body-Affecting Powers I say: :nya:

"Because this is Hero:"

Lighter

Transfer: 1d6 Body to This Power; Can Add Advantages/Adders: maximum effect and Area of Effect (+?); AVLD: rED (+3/4?); Requires End Only to Activate (+1/4); Continuous: turns off when defenses are not exceeded (+1); Uncontrolled (+1/2); Sticky (+?); OAF: lighter (Universal, Breakable, -1); Activation Roll: 16- (-?; ever have to strike the thing several times?)

+End Reserve: 1000 End, 0 Rec; OAF: lighter (Universal, Breakable, -1)

Pretty expensive, I know. :D

Yes. Classic "Pyrokinesis" is Telekinesis Only to manipulate Fire (-1).

With Pyrokinesis, you can manipulate 1DC worth of Fire per 5pts of TK STR. Thus a character with a 20 "STR" Pyrokinesis can manipulate up to 4D6N or 1D6+1K worth of fire.

As long as you do not attack with the fire, the pyrokinesis power sustains it. The pyrokinetic can do what he wants with it. Move it around, make shapes, use it to "cage" someone (if they touch the cage they take damage of course!) juggle it, the sky is the limit! However if they use the fire to attack something, it is expended. I'm thinking you can use as much of the fire as you want to attack with and only that much is used up (example, someone using Pyrokinesis to manipulate 8DC worth of fire and only attacks with 4DC worth still controls 4DC after the attack is finished)

Note that I treat Energy like Fire as "STR 0" when determining how fast/far one can move it per phase with the TK. (use the Standing Throw table on the STR throwing chart)

With Fine Manipulation, a Pyrokinetic has extremely fine control over his power. For example, he could control fire to the point that a character could walk through the fire and not get burned. (the PK is funnelling the heat away from the characters body!) A combination of Fine Manipulation and the Power skill could be used to create some truly unique uses of Pyrokinesis. (cook your food like a microwave! Instantly dry everyone's clothes without harming the characters or their duds! Burn an enemy to cinders while leaving their clothes and armor intact! The possibilities are endless)

There are several ways to "generate" fire, but the easiest way is to use Energy Blast or RKA. This determines the nature of the fire the character can manipulate (whether its Normal Damage or Killing Damage. Default should be killing)

Change Environment could be used to increase the temperature in an area to uncomfortable levels. (possibly some minor Stun and End drain) This can activate some characters vulnerabilities and susceptabilities.

Images could be used to simulate the classic PK ability to create a flame for lighting one's way.

Aid/Succor could be used to increase the power of a fire (Aid RKA and Energy Blast). It could even be used on the PK's own fire generation powers (Of course)

Force Wall, Transparent to Physical with a linked RKA with Damage Sheild or AE-Line could make a pretty gnarly Wall of Fire. Energy attacks wouldn't by pass the wall (they get stopped by the defense of the wall) and physical objects trying to pass through, though they aren't "stopped" by the wall take physical damage from the fire!

Darkness could represent the PK's abiility to generate smoke continously to heavily obscure an area. Don't forget to make it work against IR vision, since the heat would make IR vision effectively useless.

Missile Deflection could represent a PK's ability to melt physical objects before they reach him. Buy this only up to the 15pt level, as this should not work against energy attacks. Charlie used this one in Firestarter, in fact, her ability could possibly be Continuous and Uncontrolled. It definately Costs End though.

Don't forget to make your PK effectively immune to fire: +ED, Damage Reduction (only vs Fire -1) and Immunity to Heat are all standards.

Hope that helps!

Yes. Classic "Pyrokinesis" is Telekinesis Only to manipulate Fire (-1).

FWIW where are the rules for TK affecting energy? I missed them in the core rulebook when i looked, only seeing slightly related that it takes an adder to even affect water.

It seems odd that affects solids is normal price, affects water as well is more expensive, but affectes energy as well is also normal price again!?!

Unfortunately, i don't own every hero supplement and so the rules i have are not complete and i am missing this new flavor for TK.

So, which product do i need to buy?

thanks in advance.

FWIW where are the rules for TK affecting energy? I missed them in the core rulebook when i looked, only seeing slightly related that it takes an adder to even affect water.

It seems odd that affects solids is normal price, affects water as well is more expensive, but affectes energy as well is also normal price again!?!

Unfortunately, i don't own every hero supplement and so the rules i have are not complete and i am missing this new flavor for TK.

So, which product do i need to buy?

thanks in advance.

The rules for energy and telekinesis where originally published in the USPD [page 92]. Ordinary telekinesis can't pick up energy. Only special-effect-specific telekinesis can do that. Ex: +40 Tk, fire only: -1. I would have much rather have seen it as an adder loke porous. I will do it as an adder in my games.

The rules for energy and telekinesis where originally published in the USPD [page 92]. Ordinary telekinesis can't pick up energy. Only special-effect-specific telekinesis can do that. Ex: +40 Tk' date=' fire only: -1. I would have much rather have seen it as an adder loke porous. I will do it as an adder in my games.[/quote']

So, if i am clear on the rule...

1. The limitation "only vs fire" gives the Tk the ability to move fire, which an unlimited Tk could not do? (if correct, let me say "yech!!!")

2. if i want tk that can do both fire and solids, or maybe fire and ice say, i need to buy two separate Tks?

So, if i am clear on the rule...

1. The limitation "only vs fire" gives the Tk the ability to move fire, which an unlimited Tk could not do? (if correct, let me say "yech!!!")

2. if i want tk that can do both fire and solids, or maybe fire and ice say, i need to buy two separate Tks?

#1: Yeah, it's one of those not-so-well-thought-out-making-a-limitation-an-advantage things. I created an "energy" adder for 10 points and then allow the limitation. Doing it that way makes it more "legal."

#2: Under current rules you would need to purchase two Tks; probably in a multipower of sorts.

Only you can prevent forrest fires.

I think I'll beat CourtFool to this one.

This being Hero...

Cost Power END
25 Control Fire: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Related Group of Dimensions, Single Location - Another dimension where fire is in desired location) 2

O.k., so all the good ones were done already. Hey, this isn't any sillier than the 'official' Wish spell. Really.

#1: Yeah, it's one of those not-so-well-thought-out-making-a-limitation-an-advantage things. I created an "energy" adder for 10 points and then allow the limitation. Doing it that way makes it more "legal."

#2: Under current rules you would need to purchase two Tks; probably in a multipower of sorts.

Yeah...looking at the example I got that there are two types of TK. 1) "regular" TK that works on "solid" things and can be modified to work on not so solid stuf like liquids and gasses. and 2) TK that works on energy, any kind of energy...the example just limits "ETK" to fire/heat Only and so qualifys for the -1 lim....at least thats what I thought while looking at it...si I'd guess a multi is the most legal way, and +1/4 vari special effects is the slightly Less legal way...

I do not like the official RUle in USPDB that TK can not be bought for ALL ED types. So I voided it. Now only vs. X realy is a limitation. However I created a new power for my game called

Energykinesis. This goes hand in hand with TK and a character who want to manipulate both must buy both.