Power Building Challange

Re: Power Building Challange

damn, that's expensive:

Magic Immunity: (Total: 260 Active Cost, 132 Real Cost) Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Only To Protect Against Magic (-1), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 32) plus Mental Damage Reduction, 75% (60 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 30) plus Power Defense (30 points) (30 Active Points); Only Works Against Magic Limited Type of Attack (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus +30 Mental Defense (32 points total) (30 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Only Works Against Magic Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus Hearing Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Sight Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Smell/Taste Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Touch Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10)

Well for a proactive approach one could use

1d6 Drain vs all magic powers(+2) (Only when directed at character(-1 give or take)) AERadius+1, increased area x16 +1, Penetrating +1/2, Fully Invisible +1, Continous +1, OEND&Persistent+1, Always On-1/2

and that should deal with most situations

I have a challange for you.

What is the cheapest way to build a natural immunity to magical effects? It doesn't need to be complete immunity to spells, but it needs to affect all spells benefitial or otherwise.

I would just do an exotic reduction... assuming that it is allowed:

60: 75% Magic Reduction (Resistent) - effects all magical effects.

This would fit, as long as there are enough other SFX to cover... but if only magic (or physical) damage is around (such as in a fantasy campaign), then this would probably be inappropriate.

Well for a proactive approach one could use

1d6 Drain vs all magic powers(+2) (Only when directed at character(-1 give or take)) AERadius+1, increased area x16 +1, Penetrating +1/2, Fully Invisible +1, Continous +1, OEND&Persistent+1, Always On-1/2

and that should deal with most situations

I kinda like this idea, though I'd use Dispel. Dispel has a specific function that allows it to be used to negate an incomming attack or other effect, so long as the character has a held action. In this case, We could write up an AE Constant Dispel, defined as Accurate like you can do with AE: One Hex, and any incomming magical attack would be affected by the Dispel. The end result is that the character gets a kind of "saving throw" versus any such magical effects. If he rolls higher than the Active Points, the spell fails. The only problem with this method is that the more powerful spells will still have full effect, but that's the price you pay for completely invulnerability to the low cost spells.

damn, that's expensive:

Magic Immunity: (Total: 260 Active Cost, 132 Real Cost) Desolidification , Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (80 Active Points); Only To Protect Against Magic (-1), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 32) plus Mental Damage Reduction, 75% (60 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 30) plus Power Defense (30 points) (30 Active Points); Only Works Against Magic Limited Type of Attack (-1/2), Always On (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus +30 Mental Defense (32 points total) (30 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Only Works Against Magic Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus Hearing Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Sight Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Smell/Taste Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Touch Group Flash Defense (15 points) (15 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (-1/2) (Real Cost: 10)

I'd allow the Flash Defenses, etc., to take Always On because you can't lower your defenses in the event you wanted to let your friends deafen you, or whatever.

Maybe.

What about this power:

5D6 Dispel all magical powers (+2), Continuous Damage Shield (+1½), Invisible to Sight (+½), 0 END, Persistent (+1); Always On (-½), Only vs. Incoming Magic, -¼; AP: 90; RP: 51

Notes

1) If it were my campaign, I'd replace Continuous with Constant (+½) so you could have the power continuing without having to restart it but not have the 'damage' repeat, but I don't wanna reflog that horse corpse.

2) The Only vs. Incoming Magic limitation is to prevent the character from grabbing a magician and rendering him useless.

3) As written, this power is most effective in a low-power Fantasy campaign where most spells would be under 10 points. If you're playing in a superhero campaign where the point costs exceed 45 RP, then it would be cheaper to use Bloodstone's magic Immunity.

I'd simply buy a bit of every type of defense: PD, ED, rPD, rED, FD (all Sense Groups), PowD, MD, and apply a, "Only Vs. Magic," Limitation (the value of which will depend on your campaign setting. It may not be horribly cheap if you want them to be fairly high, but it is incredibly simple. The only problem is going to be NNDs, but if you have some kind of magic immunity in your game you could always rule that it is an additional defense for any magical NND.

I'd allow the Flash Defenses' date=' etc., to take [i']Always On[/i] because you can't lower your defenses in the event you wanted to let your friends deafen you, or whatever.

Maybe.

I origionally had the lim on there. Then I thought to myself, is there such thing as a good Flash?

hmm... that sounds wrong... beter launch a premptive strike:

BACK OFF MIGHTYBEC!!!! :whip:

I was thinking somethings along the lines of:

Anti-Magic Aura: Dispel Magic 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points), any magic power one at a time (+1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (112 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Only Versus Magic That Would Directly Affect The Character (-1/2) Real Cost: 45

Basically, any magical affect aimed at the character, or would affect the character, that has an Active Cost of 30 or less, automatically fizzles out. The wizard with the magic armor can still grapple with him and keep his armor, and the mystic arrow can still fly through his hex to hit the guy behind him. When attacked with a magic weapon, only the attack is foiled, the magic and the weapon remain and can be used again (though with no affect on this character). Simply spend more points for a greater defense.

I was thinking somethings along the lines of:

Anti-Magic Aura: Dispel Magic 10d6 (standard effect: 30 points), any magic power one at a time (+1/4), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (112 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Only Versus Magic That Would Directly Affect The Character (-1/2) Real Cost: 45

Basically, any magical affect aimed at the character, or would affect the character, that has an Active Cost of 30 or less, automatically fizzles out. The wizard with the magic armor can still grapple with him and keep his armor, and the mystic arrow can still fly through his hex to hit the guy behind him. When attacked with a magic weapon, only the attack is foiled, the magic and the weapon remain and can be used again (though with no affect on this character). Simply spend more points for a greater defense.

That works, though it will have absolutely no affect on magic with >30 APs. I might allow a similar Suppress, but I might require it to take Damage Shield or some kind of Trigger or something. I don't think you need Area of Effect for the Dispel; you can normally use Dispel in this fashion without needing Area of Effect (it takes an Attack Action, but the Continuous and Persistant probably take care of that).

That works' date=' though it will have absolutely [i']no[/i] affect on magic with >30 APs. I might allow a similar Suppress, but I might require it to take Damage Shield or some kind of Trigger or something. I don't think you need Area of Effect for the Dispel; you can normally use Dispel in this fashion without needing Area of Effect (it takes an Attack Action, but the Continuous and Persistant probably take care of that).

But to use it that way requires the use of an Attack Action that you must have held. You can't even abort to it. In my example, the Continuous enables it to automatically function, and the AE lets it function before it hits the character. Damage Shield won't work, because in order to function, the attack has to already have hit the target (and have it's effect).

Yes, anything 31+ gets full effect. The problem with Suppress is that the origin of the magic must be within the AE. You can't use Suppress to kill an attack in progress like you can with Dispel. You'd need a BIG area.

Anti-Magic Aura: Suppress Magic 10d6, any magic power one at a time (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Area Of Effect (88" Radius; +1 3/4) (200 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Only Versus Magic That Would Directly Affect The Character (-1/2) Real Cost: 80

Almost twice the cost, and it only effects magic that come from no greater than 88" away. Even a tiny RKA 1d6 (likely with No Range Penalty) will completely bypass the Suppress if launched from 89"+. For this extra cost, you just as easily buy the Dispel up to 18 dice (54 SE). Still won't cover everything but something like this isn't gonna be cheap, but this is as cheap as it's probably gonna get.

But to use it that way requires the use of an Attack Action that you must have held. You can't even abort to it. In my example' date=' the Continuous enables it to automatically function, and the AE lets it function [i']before[/i] it hits the character. Damage Shield won't work, because in order to function, the attack has to already have hit the target (and have it's effect).

I just think Continuous and Persistant are enough to cover the fact that it normally requires an Attack Action. Eh.

Yes, anything 31+ gets full effect. The problem with Suppress is that the origin of the magic must be within the AE. You can't use Suppress to kill an attack in progress like you can with Dispel. You'd need a BIG area.

I know. It may not be an exact letter-of-the-law thing, but I don't see a problem with allowing Suppress to be used in the same fashion as Dispel. It costs more, for one thing, and this application would merely Suppress part of one use of an attack, rather than keeping the attacker from using the Power for the duration of the Suppress. I suppose you could instead come up with an Advantage for Dispel that would allow it to have partial effect, instead of being completely all-or-nothing. Say, +1? I don't know.

I know. It may not be an exact letter-of-the-law thing' date=' but I don't see a problem with allowing Suppress to be used in the same fashion as Dispel. It costs more, for one thing, and this application would merely Suppress part of [i']one use[/i] of an attack, rather than keeping the attacker from using the Power for the duration of the Suppress. I suppose you could instead come up with an Advantage for Dispel that would allow it to have partial effect, instead of being completely all-or-nothing. Say, +1? I don't know.

That's another reason why I don't like the Suppress option. Suppress really doesn't do what we need it to do, but Dispel does. The only thing Dispel doesn't do is reduce the AP of a larger attack. For that you can just buy regular Defenses (which does exactly what you are describing with Suppress, only you need all of them (PD/ED/Mental/Flash (all groups character possesses)/Power)).

• 2 weeks later...