A new idea for how to handle VPP's

JmOz

I have seen a number of systems that try to divorce the AP limit with the Real Cost limit.

The problem I have always had was that the most comon was to make the real and active cost 2 per 1 point spent. This seemed way to easy to abuse, then applied the standard 1/2 cost as a control cost

So this is what I have come up with

You pay for the pool 1 per 1 for the pool. However all the pool does is say how many real points you can put in it. This can not be modified in anyway (no advantages/lims)

The Control Cost is based on the highest number of Active Points you want to be able to place in the pool at a cost of 2 AP per 1 real point. This can be modifed per limitations, furthermore the standard VPP modifiers may be placed on this number.

The key here is you could make a character who has a VPP of 100 points with a control of 50. He could not create a 11d6 EB, but he could do a 10d6 EB, 10/10 FF, 15" Flight. Total cost 100+25=125

Or you Could do a Character who had a pool of 20 but a control of 40. to do an 8d6 EB he would need to put -1 worht of lims on it (OAF?). Total Cost 20+20=40

Note that this will also preserve already existing VPP characters (Who will have CC & Pools of the same size)

Re: A new idea for how to handle VPP's

This looks workable. About the only thing I don't like about it is that I don't like using anything that's not official (sure, I change things myself, but not this much). I prefer to use what the system gives me, and maybe change a cost or two. Makes it easier on my players and on HD.

This is one of the oddball things that have always bugged be about VPPs though. One of my character concepts would make a great use of this kind of VPP. Basically she's a jedi whose force powers are written up using a VPP with up to 60 active point powers but no single power can have a real cost of over 30 (gotta Concentrate and take extra time to lift that X-wing out of a bog).

I've toyed around with a very similar idea, and really can see no balance issues with it (anymore than anything else in the system, anyway). Kudos to putting in out in such a conscise and claer fashion, and I hope we see this idea in a future suppliment, edition, or DH article.

repped

Guest bblackmoor

You pay for the pool 1 per 1 for the pool. ... The Control Cost is based on the highest number of Active Points you want to be able to place in the pool at a cost of 2 AP per 1 real point.

Seems reasonable. It would enable people to write up Gadget Pools again.

Guest bblackmoor

Yeah...I kinda miss the Old Skool Gadget Pools too.

I know that they were abused under the original rules, but I do think that there is a need for them in the system. I think your method would be a fair way to restore that functionality.

I really do like how "rectangular" this model is (to use a term from Killer Shrikes link). I'm already pondering how it can be used for plot device mages and the like... Huge control cost, wee little reserve, perfect for representing those mighty archmage types who can level armies as long as they have about a week to prepare, tons of materials, the stars in alignment and all that jazz.

One thing that strikes me as being a little bit odd about this approach is how it might muck with the application of Limitations that affect all Powers in the VPP. If you have a small Control and a large Pool, you sure won't save much even with some pretty hobbling Limitations. I'm not sure if I like this or not. :think:

One thing that strikes me as being a little bit odd about this approach is how it might muck with the application of Limitations that affect all Powers in the VPP. If you have a small Control and a large Pool' date=' you sure won't save much even with some pretty hobbling Limitations. I'm not sure if I like this or not. :think:[/quote']

True, but then again you will be able to have the whole pools worth of real points in powers active, realise that the lim will effect the powers IN the pool, but will reduce the cost of them when applied against the pool limit

Thank you for the link Chris

I want to appoligise, I did not remember that thread from before, I wonder if I read it back then and that it poped in my head at a later date without contex. Phil and crew, it is a great idea thanks for doing it first.

True' date=' but then again you will be able to have the whole pools worth of real points in powers active, realise that the lim will effect the powers IN the pool, but will reduce the cost of them when applied against the pool limit[/quote']

Show me an example of what you mean by this. My head hurts after thinking about the Scour thread for too long and I can't quite wrap my brain around VPPs of any kind at the moment.

I think where hes going is something like this...

Gadget Pool

90 point reserve= 90 RP

30 active point maximum Control Cost=15 base points

(-1/2)all powers must take -1/2 worth of Focus limitations

(-1/2) powers can only be changed at base/lab

total control cost: 7.5 points

total cost :97.5 points (round appropriately)

So you can fill this pool with 30 AP, OIF gadgets which cost you 20 Rp each, and you can have 4 of them in the pool with no other limits, and still have room for another 20 AP OAF.

Or you could have 6 OAF gadgets at 30 AP each.

And you can always add more limits to your toys as appropriate

Tha amazing Gaget Man has

90 Point Pool, but his Gadgers are maxed at 40 Active Points, further more they must take at least OIF (-1/2), and can only be changed in the gadget layer (-1/2)

so

90 90 Point Pool

10 40 Control Cost (40/2=20 normal cost, -1 worth of lims brings it down to 10)

----

100 points spent

When he decided now he can fill up 90 points of power so he decides to use today

20 Blaster: 8d6 OAF 16 Charge (40 Active Points)

27 Jet Pack: 20" Flight 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 hour (+0) (40 Active)

27 Force Field Generator: 20/20 FF, 1 Continuing Fuel Charge lasting 1 hour (+0) (40 Active)

16 Flash Grenade: Flash 5d6, Explosion, OIF, 6 charges (-3/4) (40 Active)

---

90 Real Points of gadgets in the pool. This is why the pool should never be limited, because when the day is done they will be getting this many points in powers.

How about an example the other way...in which the Active point cap is higher than the Real point cap?

hmmm...20 point VPP

Control Cost 60 x 1/2 = 30

Let's require OAF and 4 charges on all powers - that makes the Control Cost 10, for a total cost of 30.

I can take one 60 AP power with OAF and 4 charges, for 20 real points.

Seems reasonable - I pay an extra 10 points for the privilege of having any attack I want in this pool, rather than a single attack with OAF and 4 charges.

I could have a 60 point VPP with the same control cost to carry three such powers. That would cost 60 + 10 = 70.

Thank you for the link Chris

I want to appoligise, I did not remember that thread from before, I wonder if I read it back then and that it poped in my head at a later date without contex. Phil and crew, it is a great idea thanks for doing it first.

Just for the record, as much as I'd like to take credit for it, I wasn't the one who did it first. I got the idea from someone else on an older incarnation of these boards, but I don't remember who. It was probably some old-school guy that we all know from 4th Ed. days.

I've used this method and have found that it works very well and has not caused any balance issues.

looks good, but how would it change if you made the pool cosmic? then lots of limitations arn't as limiting and it makes it harder to have a small pool with a large control

on the other hand maybe i'm not quite getting the concept, VPPs have always been sorta nebulous to me

looks good, but how would it change if you made the pool cosmic? then lots of limitations arn't as limiting and it makes it harder to have a small pool with a large control

on the other hand maybe i'm not quite getting the concept, VPPs have always been sorta nebulous to me

You could also have a huge pool with a small control for very little extra. Like I said, it looks good on paper, but I'm not too sure about what it looks like in use.

You could also have a huge pool with a small control for very little extra. Like I said' date=' it looks good on paper, but I'm not too sure about what it looks like in use.[/quote']

Let's say you have a 150 point pool and spend 5 points on a control cost. You can buy a whole slew of 10 active point powers (15 unlimited ones, 30 with -1 limitations on each, etc.). Is that worth a lot more than 160 points?

Consider that you could have purchased a Multipower with a 60 point pool and 95 Ultra slots for the same price (and been able to switch freely as a zero phase action, using 6 powers at any given time).

Is this really a lot more powerful?