Alternate Fantasy "Earth"

Capt JT Kohonez

My group and I have decided to develop a fantasy world which is a topographical carbon copy of our earth with a few exceptions which include but are not exclusive to the following.

1. Magic or mana exists as an ambient energy.

2. Unlike earth, this world is hollow with an entire otherworld at it’s center.

3. Elves, Dwarves, Orks, Halflings, Humans and several other races inhabit this world

4. There are two suns around which it orbits.

5. Three moons, one at least which is habitable orbit it.

6. The system also contains 10 other planets. One replacing the asteroid belt, but a huge asteroid belt lies just beyond where Pluto would be.

7. “Mars†and “Venus†are habitable as are some of he moons of “Saturn†and “Jupiterâ€

Thing is I’m looking to see if I can find a map of earth and it’s continents which can be altered easily. Something in black and white with only major geographical features.

Of course I’ve listed the above elements of this world in the hopes of getting some input from my fellow worldbuilders here.

Any ideas or elements you wish to add will be appreciated.

The world will be borrowing elements from many sources of myth and fantasy literature to create an integrated and cohesive fantasy realm.

Re: Alternate Fantasy "Earth"

My group and I have decided to develop a fantasy world which is a topographical carbon copy of our earth with a few exceptions which include but are not exclusive to the following.

1. Magic or mana exists as an ambient energy.

2. Unlike earth, this world is hollow with an entire otherworld at it’s center.

3. Elves, Dwarves, Orks, Halflings, Humans and several other races inhabit this world

4. There are two suns around which it orbits.

6. The system also contains 10 other planets. One replacing the asteroid belt, but a huge asteroid belt lies just beyond where Pluto would be.

7. “Mars†and “Venus†are habitable as are some of he moons of “Saturn†and “Jupiterâ€

Thing is I’m looking to see if I can find a map of earth and it’s continents which can be altered easily. Something in black and white with only major geographical features.

Of course I’ve listed the above elements of this world in the hopes of getting some input from my fellow worldbuilders here.

Any ideas or elements you wish to add will be appreciated.

The world will be borrowing elements from many sources of myth and fantasy literature to create an integrated and cohesive fantasy realm.

I assume you want a "flat" picture. Try this google search: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=mercator

For fun, put one of the moons, a tiny one, in geosynchronous orbit. A geosynchronous moon has the same effect as a pole star for navigation purposes. As most people know, observing the pole star gives you latitude (assuming you're on the hemisphere that can see it). Observing a geosynchronous satellite can give you your longitude just about in the same way (again assuming you are on the hemisphere that can see it). Having a moon like this will make transoceanic navigation MUCH easier, so that intercontinental civilizations are possible without use of magical means. That way you don't have to be a wizard (or use wizardly means) to go from Europe to North America, which makes ocean-going barbarian raiders a more common threat.

For fun' date=' put one of the moons, a tiny one, in geosynchronous orbit. A geosynchronous moon has the same effect as a pole star for navigation purposes. As most people know, observing the pole star gives you latitude (assuming you're on the hemisphere that can see it). Observing a geosynchronous satellite can give you your longitude just about in the same way (again assuming you are on the hemisphere that can see it). Having a moon like this will make transoceanic navigation MUCH easier, so that intercontinental civilizations are possible without use of magical means. That way you don't have to be a wizard (or use wizardly means) to go from Europe to North America, which makes ocean-going barbarian raiders a more common threat.[/quote']

Oooooh Dude, I like that. :hail:

You should try to track down a copy of "Epic of Aerth", for the old Dangerous Journeys Mythus game. It's a gazetteer of a fantasy earth, with a decent amount of info on many many countries, including a few totally mythical ones (Hy Brasael, Lyonesse, Atlantis, Lemuria, etc), and a lot of maps. Even hollow world maps.

It's out of print, but if you find a copy, you will have about 90% of your world done in one fell swoop.

What are you the Autorealms Sales Rep?? :D:D

AutoRealm's a pretty good utility, especially at the price. ;)

You can make a decent map with just a little goofing around, and you can make absolutely beautiful maps once you get it all down. It's the next best thing to being Keith Curtis.