Batman Begins

Zed-F

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Batman Begins

Yeah' date=' I know I'm a closet geek and all: but I didn't think this movie needed a love interest subplot, so much... especially since it was easily the weakest part of the movie, and what's-her-face is such a ho-hum actor.[/quote']

My wife likes romance plots and so on, but she felt the same, that the movie didn't need it.

Rejoice then because it didn't have a romantic sub-plot' date=' there was this condescending brat in it though. ;) Her acting was so lightweight it really didn't affect the rest of the plot much.[/quote']

I think her acting wasn't so much her fault as the script. In general, the dialogue inhibited a lot of characters, and her especially. She had one of those parts you have to believe was written by a man...who really ahd a problem with an SO along these lines!

I think her acting wasn't so much her fault as the script. In general' date=' the dialogue inhibited a lot of characters, and her especially. She had one of those parts you have to believe was written by a man...who really ahd a problem with an SO along these lines![/quote']That guy from "28 Days Later," who played the Scarecrow, milked every last ounce of personality out of every line he had. I was really impressed.

I liked Hulk quite a bit' date=' I think it's one of the best of the superhero films :straight: . Although my wife didn't at all. But we both thought this was mediocre. Not bad, but not great. It just doesn't compare to the other superhero movies that kicked off this wave. We both thought both X-Men movies were much better, for example.[/quote']

I'm in agreement with your regards 'The Hulk'. IMO it's a criminally under-rated movie that is streets ahead of anything in the superhero genre to date. Psychologically much deeper than anything produced so far, it also trips wildly across the conventional boundaries of movies and comics. A very rich film indeed.

'Batman Begins' was, well, rather ho-hum and quite trite in its exposition. As ever, Christian Bale excelled on screen and in terms of appearance / physique he's the closest fit yet to the Bat. Shame the script and plot were not up to his standard.

In the villain stakes the Scarecrow almost stole the show. Cillian Murphy takes the gold medal for that performance based on sparse material - he left otherwise good actors looking foolish.

Finally, Michael Caine, what a class act. His Alfred was joyous to observe.

Now the ideal world would be to have another Bale / Batman with Tim Burton back at the helm to provide a healthy dose of surreal nightmare. Say it with me - I do believe in fairies, I do, I do...

That guy from "28 Days Later' date='" who played the Scarecrow, milked every last ounce of personality out of every line he had. I was really impressed.[/quote']

Yeah, like I said earlier, I did like him, thanks for pointing that out. As someone else mentioned, it would have been nice to know more about his background, but I'm not saying that's a flaw, really. I'm hoping he's in the next film.

I'm in agreement with your regards 'The Hulk'. IMO it's a criminally under-rated movie that is streets ahead of anything in the superhero genre to date. Psychologically much deeper than anything produced so far, it also trips wildly across the conventional boundaries of movies and comics. A very rich film indeed.

'Batman Begins' was, well, rather ho-hum and quite trite in its exposition. As ever, Christian Bale excelled on screen and in terms of appearance / physique he's the closest fit yet to the Bat. Shame the script and plot were not up to his standard.

In the villain stakes the Scarecrow almost stole the show. Cillian Murphy takes the gold medal for that performance based on sparse material - he left otherwise good actors looking foolish.

Finally, Michael Caine, what a class act. His Alfred was joyous to observe.

Now the ideal world would be to have another Bale / Batman with Tim Burton back at the helm to provide a healthy dose of surreal nightmare. Say it with me - I do believe in fairies, I do, I do...

You know, what would be cool would be Burton IF AND ONLY IF (IMHO obviously) they let Frank Miller write the script and it was not touched one bit.

Or, heck, just let the Sin City director do it, based on an actual Miller script!

Someday I hope to see a reasonably faithful version of the original Dark Knight Returns series.

Well, I agree with the rest of this, but while Hulk was well-acted, it was also pretty dull in the beginning, a bit hard to believe at the end, and undermined in the middle by the Shrek-on-gamma-rays CGI animation for the character.

Whereas the Batman movie had every potential to suck but managed to get almost everything right, including the psychological angle on Bruce Wayne that Burton sorta tried to get in between letting his villains steal the movie.

JG

You know, what would be cool would be Burton IF AND ONLY IF (IMHO obviously) they let Frank Miller write the script and it was not touched one bit.

Or, heck, just let the Sin City director do it, based on an actual Miller script!

Someday I hope to see a reasonably faithful version of the original Dark Knight Returns series.

This would be momentous. I would create a new religion if this happened.

It's been a while since I've read the DKR, and I can't exactly remember the pacing. How many movies do you think could/should be made of the Graphic Novel?

Well' date=' I agree with the rest of this, but while [i']Hulk[/i] was well-acted, it was also pretty dull in the beginning, a bit hard to believe at the end, and undermined in the middle by the Shrek-on-gamma-rays CGI animation for the character.

Whereas the Batman movie had every potential to suck but managed to get almost everything right, including the psychological angle on Bruce Wayne that Burton sorta tried to get in between letting his villains steal the movie.

JG

Actually, I didn't find Hulk boring at the beginning...that's where I think the films really differed, among other things. The beginning, about the first 45 minutes, with Batman was drawn out too much, repeating the same stuff and concepts over and over, to me (and my wife), while Hulk was not paced that great but held my interest well enough as the characters and situation seemed interesting and, other than of course knowing the story in advance, not so predictable/ho-hum (although here my wife would beg to differ as she hated Hulk).

Obviously, most feel otherwise.

PS - but Hulk was difficult at the end, I agree.

This would be momentous. I would create a new religion if this happened.

It's been a while since I've read the DKR, and I can't exactly remember the pacing. How many movies do you think could/should be made of the Graphic Novel?

I've wondered, too. Maybe 2 long films or 4 rather short films. As I recall (would have to reread) each book isn't quite that heavy to be a full-length movie, but they cut well in endings, and trying to make the 4 books into 3 movies seems like it would be awkward. Probably 2 longer films makes more sense and could be accomplished commercially, plus leave off, IIRC, right at the point of being a good story arc but really begging people to come back for the second movie.

Ditto. That end was some kind of nonsense' date=' the first part of the movie was decent-plus, the only "problem" with it was that I'm no huge fan of the Hulk (which means it wasn't a problem at all with the story).[/quote']

And the CGI effects were cartoonish, and all the soldiers safely jumped from the vehicles being destroyed, and the pacing was off, and the middle dragged...

This was (imo) an awful movie with a few redeeming features. I really disliked it.

Ditto. That end was some kind of nonsense' date=' the first part of the movie was decent-plus, the only "problem" with it was that I'm no huge fan of the Hulk (which means it wasn't a problem at all with the story).[/quote']

I'm not a fan of the Hulk, either, the movie made me more interested in the character, the movie version of the character, that is.

And the CGI effects were cartoonish, and all the soldiers safely jumped from the vehicles being destroyed, and the pacing was off, and the middle dragged...

This was (imo) an awful movie with a few redeeming features. I really disliked it.

Yeah, but aside from all that, what did you think?

:D

Yeah, but aside from all that, what did you think?

:D

Well... ;)

I'll say this much for the movie. The actors played it straight, and the overall story had a Silver Age feeling to it, with a Kirby-esque ending. Had the effects not been so cartoony, and if both the direction and tone been more even, I would have ranked the film much higher.

Actually, I didn't find Hulk boring at the beginning...that's where I think the films really differed, among other things. The beginning, about the first 45 minutes, with Batman was drawn out too much, repeating the same stuff and concepts over and over, to me (and my wife), while Hulk was not paced that great but held my interest well enough as the characters and situation seemed interesting and, other than of course knowing the story in advance, not so predictable/ho-hum (although here my wife would beg to differ as she hated Hulk).

Obviously, most feel otherwise.

PS - but Hulk was difficult at the end, I agree.

The best things about Hulk were: Hulk fighting an entire US armor unit, Sam Elliott as General Ross, and Nick Nolte playing a scientist-turned-creepy old derelict, a role which required no makeup or CGI effects whatsoever.

JG

The thing that bugged me the most about Hulk' date=' was that the best action scenes were done in montage form. The cut scenes and split screen action was also bad... I hate being constantly reminded that I'm watching a movie.[/quote']

Really? That was one of the things I liked about it.

JG