Batman Begins

Zed-F

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Batman Begins

Saw it. Liked it. :thumbup:

Ra's Al Ghul was the best-portayed Bat-villain yet. Even if he did get a little too wacky toward the end, for at least the first half of the movie you could almost believe someone like that could actually exist.

Ra's Al-Ghul is in it? Okay, apparently the reviewer in the paper I read didn't catch that part; he said there wasn't a 'costumed villain' in the whole movie. I suppose Ra's didn't actually wear a costume, per se, but he still qualifies as a supervillain!

Well, he does wear the "mysterious far eastern secrect-society member" costume for most of the middle of the film.

And how can anybody miss the Scarecrow? If a guy running around with a burlap sack on his head chucking weaponized fear powder at people doesn't count as a costumed villian then I'm not sure what the bar is anymore.......

Well, he does wear the "mysterious far eastern secrect-society member" costume for most of the middle of the film.

And how can anybody miss the Scarecrow? If a guy running around with a burlap sack on his head chucking weaponized fear powder at people doesn't count as a costumed villian then I'm not sure what the bar is anymore.......

They said that the closest thing to a costumed villain was a psychiatrist putting on a scarecrow mask for a couple of minutes to traumatize his patients. Guess he wasn't paying a lot of attention.

Still ... I'm iffy on it. I tend to prefer 'fantastic' movies to 'realistic' movies, though. This one may be far too gritty and dark for me to want to watch it (Yes, I actually LIKED Batman and Robin. I love bad puns).

It's obvious that the reviewer's only exposure to Batman was either the Joel Schumacher travesties or the old TV show where the villains all dressed in bright primary colors.

Still ... I'm iffy on it. I tend to prefer 'fantastic' movies to 'realistic' movies' date=' though. This one may be far too gritty and dark for me to want to watch it (Yes, I actually LIKED Batman and Robin. I love bad puns).[/quote']

:jawdrop::shock::eek::angst:

NO SOUP FOR YOU!!--YOU COME BACK, 3 MORE SEQUELS!!

I thought as a villain the Scarecrow was rather lame. Definitely a one-trick pony; get around his gimmick, and he's basically a wimp with no combat ability whatsoever. Of course I haven't read any comics featuring him, so maybe he's supposed to be that way.

Ra's Al Ghul was tres cool, however. They made him a wacked-out social engineer instead of a wacked-out ecologist, and it strengthened the character IMHO. Classic "no-one could have survived that!" moment as well.

Batman himself was quite well done as well. Especially the 'persistence in the face of setbacks and adversity' bits.

I quite enjoyed it. I think Ken Watanabi was under used, but it was appropriate concidering the "misdirection" theme. If you haven't seen The Last Samurai. You are doing yourself a great dissearvice.

Awesome movie and I may see it again. After "Layered Cake"

QM

Completely agree. I was hopping to seem more of Mr. Wantabi.

As for Batman Begins....well, I never thought I would say this, but it might just beat the Keaton Batman's. I always liked the Keaton Batman's but wow. Batman Begins is....wow. Can't wait to see it again.

Ra's Al-Ghul is in it? Okay' date=' apparently the reviewer in the paper I read didn't catch that part; he said there wasn't a 'costumed villain' in the whole movie. I suppose Ra's didn't actually wear a costume, per se, but he still qualifies as a supervillain![/quote']

And possibly he missed the bit where Dr Icabod Crane puts a sack over his head, uses 'fear gas' and became Scarecrow. He only did it 4, maybe 5 times (of course he only started refer to himself that way until the end and you probably need to know the subject material to get the reference so I suppose he's forgiven).

odd thing about this movie was how umm british it was obviously it was an american story set in an american city but most of the main cast where from somewhere in the United Kingdom or Eirenot only that but the bat mobile wa sbuilt from the ground up here. not to mention stately wayne manor which i think is the same house used for tomb raider .

Completely agree. I was hopping to seem more of Mr. Wantabi.

As for Batman Begins....well, I never thought I would say this, but it might just beat the Keaton Batman's. I always liked the Keaton Batman's but wow. Batman Begins is....wow. Can't wait to see it again.

Oh, this blows away the Keaton Batman, which wasn't that bad.

Put it this way, I'd recommend this film even to people who aren't fanboys, and I wouldn't say that about Star Wars Episode III, which I liked.

JG

Oh, this blows away the Keaton Batman, which wasn't that bad.

Put it this way, I'd recommend this film even to people who aren't fanboys, and I wouldn't say that about Star Wars Episode III, which I liked.

JG

- Definitely not a Batman fanboy and I thought it was fantastic.

- Speaking of SW, I've seen Batman twice now and during my second viewing, while watching Ducard's training of Bruce, I actually caught myself thinking that if Liam Neeson was this good and had this kind of dialogue in SW, then the prequels might have turned out completely different.

- Definitely not a Batman fanboy and I thought it was fantastic.

- Speaking of SW, I've seen Batman twice now and during my second viewing, while watching Ducard's training of Bruce, I actually caught myself thinking that if Liam Neeson was this good and had this kind of dialogue in SW, then the prequels might have turned out completely different.

I already knew he was that good- just as I knew Natalie Portman and Samuel L. Jackson were that good.

So if they come across as flat, blame the director....

JG

And possibly he missed the bit where Dr Icabod Crane puts a sack over his head' date=' uses 'fear gas' and became Scarecrow. He only did it 4, maybe 5 times (of course he only started refer to himself that way until the end and you probably need to know the subject material to get the reference so I suppose he's forgiven).[/quote']

Jonathan Crane, actually ;)

The best part: The acting, hands down. Four cast members were oscar nominees (or winners). This was by far the most watchable comic book based movie for a non fan. Even my mom enjoyed it to the point that she didn't regret not seeing some pants sisterhood movie (which I surmise did not have anything to do with comics).

The second best part: Now we know where "he gets all those marvelous toys"

The ending (and clear tie-in to the possible sequel) was pure comics "tune in next time...."

:thumbup::thumbup:

I thought as a villain the Scarecrow was rather lame. Definitely a one-trick pony; get around his gimmick, and he's basically a wimp with no combat ability whatsoever. Of course I haven't read any comics featuring him, so maybe he's supposed to be that way.

Actualy as far as I have ever been able to tell, that pretty much sums up Scarecrow perfectly. Every time Batman has faced him in the comics it works pretty much like it did in the film. Batman gets hit with the fear, gets over it,then beats Scarecrow into the ground.

They need to rework his character a bit in the comic.. like they did with the Riddler.