Batman Begins

Zed-F

Re: Batman Begins

I'd love to see an Iron Man film. They've talked about this for years but it never seems to get anywhere. I'll be surprised if it ever does get made.

I'd also like to see a Captain America film with a good budget behind it. I doubt this will ever happen either since a super patriot would be too non-politically correct for the Hollywood crowd. Either that or they'd modify the character to the point of just hacking-off cap's fans.

"Hmmm... we gotta do something about that costume. Wings on his head? I mean really. And what's with the silly 'A' on his face? I'm thinking a black and silver bodysuit with a trenchcoat. Oh, and let's have him beat up some islamic terrorists, that ought to be good for the NASCAR crowd."

Yeah, I can see that. /shudder

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw it today. Absolutlely glorious. I don't know what I can say that hasn't been said already, but they got Batman spot-on RIGHT. Batman is the one superhero who should scare the pants of everybody on either side of the law -- and in this movie he does.

Liam Neeson is the greatest live-action Bat-villain EVER. He seems dangerously sane, cruel certainly even from the beginning but rational -- until his true motives become apparent and it becomes clear just how ruthless and sociopathic he is. Jonathan Crane also turns out to be quite effective.

The best thing, though, is that it's a movie about two great issues:

1. What is justice, and how does it differ from vengenance?

2. What is worth saving, and how far will you go to save it?

There is one other notable thing about the movie -- Batman is a force of nautre, a character who changes everything he touches with his presence. When we first meet James Gordon, he is almost past the brink of despair -- an honest man trapped in a seemingly hopelessly cxoirrupt world. When we meet Lucius Fox, he is a lonely man whose talent has been buried and forgotten and who is where he is for lack of anywhjere elkse to go. When batman comes into their lives, he changes them forever, giving them new hope, fresh purpose, and cauyse to hope for their futures. The contrast with R'as al Ghul, who has not only lost the capacity for hope but is determined to crush it in everyone he meets, is glaring.

There is one other notable thing about the movie -- Batman is a force of nautre, a character who changes everything he touches with his presence. When we first meet James Gordon, he is almost past the brink of despair -- an honest man trapped in a seemingly hopelessly cxoirrupt world. When we meet Lucius Fox, he is a lonely man whose talent has been buried and forgotten and who is where he is for lack of anywhjere elkse to go. When batman comes into their lives, he changes them forever, giving them new hope, fresh purpose, and cauyse to hope for their futures. The contrast with R'as al Ghul, who has not only lost the capacity for hope but is determined to crush it in everyone he meets, is glaring.

This is a great point. Although it should be "Bruce Wayne"- as he never met Fox in costumed ID.

JG

This is a great point. Although it should be "Bruce Wayne"- as he never met Fox in costumed ID.

JG

No, as pointed out by the fem in the movie, Bruce Wayne is the mask. Lucius may not know it's Batman, but I'm pretty certain he suspects B.W. is batman.

No' date=' as pointed out by the fem in the movie, Bruce Wayne is the mask. Lucius may not know it's Batman, but I'm pretty certain he suspects B.W. is batman.[/quote']

Judging by his actions, there's no way he couldn't know. Lucius Fox is an extremely intelligent man (equally skilled at administration and at practical engineering) who can and does out two and two together and inevitably get four. I love this version of the character -- and I love the way Morgan Freeman gave himself the chance to be a little bit playful for a change. (Of course, being Morgan Freeman, even when he is playful he is dignified.)

That's another thing I loved about the film -- the relative believability of the Bat-technology. Asdie from the fabric of the cape I can see everything as possible, albeit expensive -- and even the cape has an internally logical explanation. A lot of intelligent thought went into this film.

Judging by his actions' date=' there's no way he [i']couldn't[/i] know. Lucius Fox is an extremely intelligent man (equally skilled at administration and at practical engineering) who can and does out two and two together and inevitably get four. I love this version of the character -- and I love the way Morgan Freeman gave himself the chance to be a little bit playful for a change. (Of course, being Morgan Freeman, even when he is playful he is dignified.)

Well, he did say to Bruce (IIRC) "I know enough to know that there's some things I don't want to ask."

JG

Ahhhhhh, saw it for the second time today. But then again the first time was only last Friday. So good. Every change in the origin was excellent, especially the impetus of leaving the theater. Detective work makes for boring summer fare so ixnaying the Sherlock Holmesian aspects was a good call. And having a cadre of supporters, like the Shadow's Seconds, was awesome.

The Batmobile was a bit much though but I'm sure the toymakers will be happy. Katie Holmes' character really needed to leave Gotham, or her absence in the next movie will be glaring. And Batman's 30! At the start of his career? He's not gonna hold up long enough for Batgirl to come around.

In the comics' date=' I think the official word is that he was 25 at the start of his career as Batman.[/quote']

Yeah, I know. But he has his 30th birthday party during the movie. It means when or if they introduce Robin there will be more of a paternal feel than the big brother relationship of the comics. But then again maybe they blame the downfall of the previous franchise on the debut of Robin? Poor Dick, to have that on his conscience.

And Batman's 30! At the start of his career? He's not gonna hold up long enough for Batgirl to come around.

Steroids, GH and pain killers should keep him going at least another 10-15 years. After that, it's time for a really good Bat-Orthepedic Surgeon.

Yeah' date=' I know. But he has his 30th birthday party during the movie. It means when or if they introduce Robin there will be more of a paternal feel than the big brother relationship of the comics. But then again maybe they blame the downfall of the previous franchise on the debut of Robin? Poor Dick, to have that on his conscience.[/quote']

Yeah, are they going to have Robin in the next movie?

He could work, if done right. But I trust Nolan's team more than I trust Joel Schumacher.

JG

saw it yesterday. i give it 4.5 stars out of a possible 5 stars.

my only quibble was the "microwave projector". it should have been called something else....something techno-babblish like "non-lethal water vaporizor".

it's a selective AoE that does not target water enclosed in living things, other wise the people, pets, etc. would have exploded.

my 2 crowns (which is actually a lot more than $0.02) YMMV :)

Are they really planning on having the Joker as the villian in the next movie? That just seems wrong to me. Unless they are pretending the other movies didn't happen, it seems like they should go in another direction, always setting things up for the Batman vs. Joker movie that kicked off the movie franchise (Keaton vs. Nicholson).

Are they really planning on having the Joker as the villian in the next movie? That just seems wrong to me. Unless they are pretending the other movies didn't happen' date=' it seems like they should go in another direction, always setting things up for the Batman vs. Joker movie that kicked off the movie franchise (Keaton vs. Nicholson).[/quote']

I think this is (and should be) a reboot of the Batman film contuinuity, so yes this does mean that in this contunity Batman didn't happen. And given that it's been 16 years since the first of the the Tim Burtom Batman films, only the true geeks will really care.

One could have raised the same objections to the Joker's presence in Batman: the Animated Series. but that would ahve deprived us of the sublime voice work of Mark Hamill, classic episodes like "Joker's Wild" and "Be a Clown", and -- worst of all -- Harley Quinn, one of the greatest characters ever created speciifically for an Ameritoon.

The Joker had one great advanatge over the Kevin Conroy Batman in that he had someone he could literally screw with impunity -- Harley was obviously his lover, as one-sided and clearly absusive as that relationship was -- he was screwing with her in every sense of the word including possible inserting small metal objects into her body.

Harley would be great to include in a BB-contuity film featuring the Joker, actually.

I think this is (and should be) a reboot of the Batman film contuinuity' date=' so yes this does mean that in this contunity [i']Batman[/i] didn't happen.

In Batman, the Waynes were kiilled by Jack Napier, who became the Joker. In Batman Begins, the Waynes were killed by Joe Chill, who got assassinated.

Reboot!

Are they really planning on having the Joker as the villian in the next movie? That just seems wrong to me. Unless they are pretending the other movies didn't happen' date=' it seems like they should go in another direction, always setting things up for the Batman vs. Joker movie that kicked off the movie franchise (Keaton vs. Nicholson).[/quote']

Yes. And it's about time too.

It is a reboot back to the real Batman mythos.

Tim Burton should be beaten severely for screwing up Batman and even making Batman Returns. The people who made the rest of those sequels in that other Batman series should be beaten worse.

Hopefully, they never mess things up that bad again.

My review: 5/5.

Just read through the thread - few comments:

1) Loved the film - saw it 3 times now...I may see it again.

2) someone was talking about a Scarecrow reboot. I loved the new Scarecrow in the animated Batman series, when it came back as Gotham Knights. Anyone see that? Scarecrow had a different, very sinister look, with the hangman's noose around his neck. Loved that. Also his episode was the one where he changed his fear toxin to take away peoples fears. Now Gotham had people running around doing whatever they wanted without fear of repercussion. Excellent.

3) I liked the 2 Keaton Batman movies but I didn't like the changes made to them. Mainly, Joker killing his parents. Totally unnecessary. This film bringing it back to Joe Chill is great.

4) I read that Nolan says there will be no Robin as long as he is involved. He feels that Robin should be a ways off for Batman. Batman is still young. He figures Robin wouldn't really show up until something like film 4 or 5. I like Robin but agree. Lets keep building on Batman before we throw Robin in to the mix.

5) I have heard a lot of great names thrown around for Joker. Names like:

Paul Bettany, Crispin Glover, and even Sean Penn. Who knows who will actually play him. I like Johnny Depp for the part.

er...I guess that's it!

Hawkfu

How old was Jack Nicolson when he did the role? Anyone know?

Hm. Perhaps I have a use for that time machine now...

He was 52 when he did Batman.

I know this is going against the popular opinion here,

but I liked him as Joker but was not in love with him

as Joker. I felt he was too old and out of shape to

really be taken as a serious rival to Batman.

(ducking for cover)

Hawkfu