Fumbled Seduction Roll

Re: Fumbled Seduction Roll

I can almost picture it in my head, "Hey pretty lady how you doing tonight? Wanna go back to my place and make a few naughty videos?"

I agree with you SS that rolling an 18 is an unusually bad thing, so something out of the ordinary should occur. If this is a "long-term" NPC, have the person getting seduced remember them acting like this for quite sometime. (Minuses to all Social Skills) I know that I've had to work for years to finally get people to forget when I was a jerk to them.

Just be as cheesy and slimy as you want.

EDIT: I re-read the original, I thought a PC was the seducer not the seducee.

Wouldn't a fumbled seduction roll cause an extreme negative reaction by the person who the roll was being used on? Basically, the player probably said something really stupid that caused the target to take an instant dislike to them -- probably undoing any good feelings they had already built up.

"You saunter up to the lady, exuding charisma and confidence as you make your way threw the crowd. Fixing with a direct, but not intense gaze, you say you most mellow voice."Hi there pretty Ladee... with eyes and the dress and oh!"

:D

I have always liked the idea that a 3 is a great success and an 18 is an OMG screwup. So, a failed Seduction roll uhh...lol this could be fun or bad. The first thing is I have no idea of what the exact situation is or where you want it to go so these suggestions are very general and some might not even be playable.

1) The NPC misinterpets the person saying no and thinks they say yes.

2) The NPC is charged with sexual harrasement.

3) At a major extreme the NPC misinterpets the situtaion. He thinks they are being coy and commits sexual assualt.

4) Word of the NPCs attempt at seduction gets around in society and his reputation is ruined.

5) Turns out the target is underage.

Just some suggestions. If you can give details on NPC, target, and situation I might be able to help more.

I would certainly go by NOT letting the player know they failed. They should think they succeeded brilliantly. Either the target is turning the tables and fooling them utterly or more likely it will just end badly much as described in the post above, although if it's befriendship sort of Seduction as opposed to sexual then I'd have the conversation or whatever it is continue a bit and have the offended party do something like call in some friends to beat the crap out of this person who so offended them or otherwise have them do something that completely takes the PC by surprise.

Guest Black Lotus

I would certainly go by NOT letting the player know they failed. They should think they succeeded brilliantly. Either the target is turning the tables and fooling them utterly or more likely it will just end badly much as described in the post above' date=' although if it's befriendship sort of Seduction as opposed to sexual then I'd have the conversation or whatever it is continue a bit and have the offended party do something like call in some friends to beat the crap out of this person who so offended them or otherwise have them do something that completely takes the PC by surprise.[/quote']

Instead of telling the PC they succeeded, because they failed and just don't know it, let the players know in ADVANCE that they will never be told just how well they do when using a Skill in a situation like this, and roleplay it.

Say PC A wants to Seduce NPC B. The Gm rolls Seduction for him, but doesn't tell the PC ANYTHING about the result. Not even "you succeeded". This way, just like in real life, the PC says things to the NPC trying to seduct him or her, and has to wait either to see the NPC's reaction to know the jist of the result, or must wait until all is said and done.

You get me? Sigh, I know what I just said was really confusing, sorry.

Guest Black Lotus

lol....

The Seducer wakes up in his bath tub filled with ice, a scar on his right side, and a note that says, "Call 911 for the Emergency room immdiately."

ROFL~! Exactly. If you always told the PCs at least a little about the result of a roll you want to hide from them, this situation could never occur.

They'll know they're GENERALLY GOOD at something if they have a high Skill Roll, but that doesn't mean they get to be privy to the direct results of a Skill like Seduction. ;)

And I was going to say something else I thought of, but I forgot. My mind is like a sieve.

Guest Black Lotus

OH! I remember!

See, if you tell PCs even a limited amount of info, or straight-up lie to them, they can sometimes tell whether you're lying to fool them. If, for example, they Fumble a Skill roll disarming a bomb (without a timer they can see), but the bomb doesn't go off in your face, if you yell "YOU SUCCEEDED!" in a cheerful voice, or even if you do it in a regular voice, they may be able to deduce that you are lying because they actually failed miserably.

See what I mean? Because you would ALWAYS be telling them they succeed. If they DO succeed, you say "You succeed." If they fail, you say "You succeed", because you don't want them to know you failed.

Therefore, tell them nothing, :ninja stance::

well if the PC is the target of seduction, obviously they are about to be stalked.

The NPC is *very creepy* following them home, watching their windows etc.

Have fun with this one, esp. if it's a super hero game

(or if it's seduction to make friends, then that NPC just said the vilest most racist slur ever to that PC)

Instead of telling the PC they succeeded, because they failed and just don't know it, let the players know in ADVANCE that they will never be told just how well they do when using a Skill in a situation like this, and roleplay it.

Say PC A wants to Seduce NPC B. The Gm rolls Seduction for him, but doesn't tell the PC ANYTHING about the result. Not even "you succeeded". This way, just like in real life, the PC says things to the NPC trying to seduct him or her, and has to wait either to see the NPC's reaction to know the jist of the result, or must wait until all is said and done.

You get me? Sigh, I know what I just said was really confusing, sorry.

I think that made sense, sure, that's a good way to do it. I tend not to do that only because I think "regular" success and failure should be apparent to players, but that's just me. Borderline cases I'm borderline about!

PS - I meant mechanically apparent, as well as RP-apparent. I realize you intend using RPing as the conveyance/feedback method.

OH! I remember!

See, if you tell PCs even a limited amount of info, or straight-up lie to them, they can sometimes tell whether you're lying to fool them. If, for example, they Fumble a Skill roll disarming a bomb (without a timer they can see), but the bomb doesn't go off in your face, if you yell "YOU SUCCEEDED!" in a cheerful voice, or even if you do it in a regular voice, they may be able to deduce that you are lying because they actually failed miserably.

See what I mean? Because you would ALWAYS be telling them they succeed. If they DO succeed, you say "You succeed." If they fail, you say "You succeed", because you don't want them to know you failed.

Therefore, tell them nothing, :ninja stance::

I dunno, the other day I said to a player, "You're positive you succeeded," and they looked at me and said, "Oh,no, you must have rolled an 18!" I didn't, but they were still guessing! :D

The PC believes he succeeds' date=' and the lucky lady accompanies him. In the cab right on the way to his place, the groping gets heavy, and he realizes with horror... this woman is not a woman![/quote']

Ha, that's great. I'd be inclined to do this more for a biffed PER roll with successful Seduction, though... :eg:

In my play-by-post' date=' one of my NPCs just rolled an 18 on a Seduction roll. I like to have a roll of a 3 be a resounding success and the roll of an 18 to be a major failure.[/quote']1. She's a bloke. :eek: (a la Crying Game).

2. Sprung! (Think Hugh Grant and the Hooker).

2a. Both of the above (Danny Bonaduce and the transvestite).

3. Brewer's droop ("Umm, this has never happened before...").

4. He shoots when he sees the whites of her thighs ("Is this what you meant by 'I'm the fastest man alive!'?").

In my play-by-post, one of my NPCs just rolled an 18 on a Seduction roll. I like to have a roll of a 3 be a resounding success and the roll of an 18 to be a major failure. But I have no idea how to interrprut an 18 for a seduction roll.

Any suggestions?

What was he trying to do with the skill? Accomplish anything specific, just pick up a random person or...?

What was he trying to do with the skill? Accomplish anything specific' date=' just pick up a random person or...?[/quote']

Actually, it was a roll of a female NPC to seduce a male PC (who is very, very drunk, and involved with a PC who would KILL him if she found out. Painfully).

Actually' date=' it was a roll of a female NPC to seduce a male PC (who is very, very drunk, and involved with a PC who would KILL him if she found out. Painfully).[/quote']

Ooops! Hm, botched attempt to seduce a drunken man. She gets more than she expected and he tries to take advantage of her? He freak out and start calling her a slut and other invectives, making a scene?

Or, I guess the gm should describe a really horrible, blatant attempt to manipulate the PC and let the player decide how to react.

Social skills by NPCs on PCs are always a bugbear for me.

Ooops! Hm, botched attempt to seduce a drunken man. She gets more than she expected and he tries to take advantage of her? He freak out and start calling her a slut and other invectives, making a scene?

Or, I guess the gm should describe a really horrible, blatant attempt to manipulate the PC and let the player decide how to react.

Social skills by NPCs on PCs are always a bugbear for me.

She's actually attempting this in his room at the inn. She forced her way in when he opened the door.