Personal Stealth Armor - How would you do it?

concord

Working on a design for a suit of stealth armor for use in my Champions campaign... Little bit of armor, little bit of gliding... Need some advice on the stealth part...

Don't want invisibility... just want to make it hard to detect by sight group and radar...

Budget - 20 Real Points

Bill Beane

Wardens Chronicles - Champions Campaign - http://wardens.angeva.com

Foundation Chronicles - The World of the Wardens - http://foundation.angeva.com

Re: Personal Stealth Armor - How would you do it?

Our group has done some armor with stealth features before. For stealth against sight we just gave the armor a bonus to the wearers Stealth, usually this is a +2 if you are only talking about camo.

For radar stealth we usually use Images vs. Radar, Only to appear as if nothing is there (-1/2), or something similar. This is IMHO a good way to simulate things like radar absorbant materials.

If you want to you could extend the images to work against the sight group as well and call it holographic camo, or some such.

Working on a design for a suit of stealth armor for use in my Champions campaign... Little bit of armor, little bit of gliding... Need some advice on the stealth part...

Don't want invisibility... just want to make it hard to detect by sight group and radar...

Budget - 20 Real Points

Have you tried Images? -X to perception rolls by certain senses? Don't know how much it would cost, but it worked for us in the past with stealth armor in the UNTIL Darkhawk armored units built for our game.

Stealth Suit: Sight Group and Radar Images 1" radius, -2 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); IIF (-1/4), Only To Conceal Character Or Blend In With Surrounding Area (-1)

Real Cost: 19

Doesn't look like much of a bonus, but a -2 can go a long way, especially since when even in plain view they have to make a roll to spot you. As a bonus (no extra points, but based on the function of the Power), I'd allow the character to use the penalty to PER as a bonus on any active used of Concealment. If also bought for the Hearing Group (23 points), the bonus can be used for Stealth as well.

I notice in 5er that this is a situation used as an example for a Stealth Suit: Change Environment (Self Only, -1/2) in which the CE is a 1-hex effect that only applies -4 to PER rolls to perceive the character.

I would go with Change Environment: Self only with penalties to sight perception and Radio perception.

Maybe have it add some Concealment and Stealth skill levels as well.

Images vs Radar so that even if Radar successfully picks it up, most likely it'll get a false reading (reading an object much smaller than the actual suit)

Stuff like that.

Thanks for the responses guys...

I have used Images for this type of thing in the past and the Change Environment example kind of threw me off a bit...

I think I am going to stay with the Images for the time being...

Bill Beane

Images would have been my suggestion, if other people hadn't already brought it up. Frankly, I've found I'm not too fond of Invisibility anymore, but I really like Images, Self Only, Set Image (me not here), -X to PER rolls. It works great, and fits well with HERO's "no absolutes" mantra.

Images would have been my suggestion' date=' if other people hadn't already brought it up. Frankly, I've found I'm not too fond of Invisibility anymore, but I [i']really[/i] like Images, Self Only, Set Image (me not here), -X to PER rolls. It works great, and fits well with HERO's "no absolutes" mantra.

I agree. As a rule I completely disallow flat invisibility with a but a handful of NPC exceptions- but I'll allow Images.

I notice in 5er that this is a situation used as an example for a Stealth Suit: Change Environment (Self Only' date=' -1/2) in which the CE is a 1-hex effect that only applies -4 to PER rolls to perceive the character.[/quote']

5th edition is a bit whacked on where CE and Images is suitable. They both affect PER rolls but some things are disallowed or not shown that don't logically follow.

IMO a reasonable breaks down is thus:

Want to hide something, but have it be clear that its being hidden (fog, driving rain, etc.)- buy CE.

Want to hide something such that a person isn't aware his PER has been reduced- buy Images with the only to hide limit.

Stealth Suit: Sight Group and Radar Images 1" radius, -2 to PER Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); IIF (-1/4), Only To Conceal Character Or Blend In With Surrounding Area (-1)

Real Cost: 19

Doesn't look like much of a bonus, but a -2 can go a long way, especially since when even in plain view they have to make a roll to spot you. As a bonus (no extra points, but based on the function of the Power), I'd allow the character to use the penalty to PER as a bonus on any active used of Concealment. If also bought for the Hearing Group (23 points), the bonus can be used for Stealth as well.

Good idea. You could throw in an RSR(Stealth Roll) if you want to give it a little bit smaller cost.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I'm not sure about images. I tend to think of it as putting something there that isn't, so if you wanted a disguise power, you could go for it, but a 'don't notice me' power doesn't work IMO. Creating an illusion of 'your immediate environment without you in it' would be really rather complex: somewhere between +4 and +6 on their PER roll, I'd have thought.

2. I think a self only change environment might be what you are after. That's the power you'd normally use to make someone's perception roll harder to see what IS there.

3. If you use invisibility it could be with RSR (skill v skill) so that you still need to sneak around slowly for it to work - running or doing anything 'obvious' will be a dead giveaway. Also consider the chameleon limitation, or something like it.

Ultimately what you are after is some sort of ability to be harder to notice with sight or radar. You could always buy stealth as a superskill, pay a 5 point adder to have it apply to radar too and have done with it, or something similar but with skill levels for stealth and concealment.

I'm assuming that once you are spotted, disappearing from plain sight is practically impossible, you'd need some cover, and there is no real effect in combat, other than a possible suprise modifier - but nothing ongoing.

the M.O. of the person wearing the armor is a sneaky only pull jobs at night type of one... so in addition to the effects of the suit, he also has night modifiers working for him...

as for being "spotted"... in this case it is kind of a moot point... the special senses that a couple of the group members have will for the most part nullify any benefit this armor is giving the wearer... I just have a history in mind for the wearer of the armor and needed to flesh out the concept in game mechanics...

after a review of Sean Waters Images versus Change Environment debate... I have had a change of heart and built the armor with C.E. as the effect... the suit doesn't show you something that is not there... it just makes what is there harder to detect visually or with radar...

I am glad I asked this question here rather than just hash it out with myself... some interesting views were presented... thanks again everyone for all the ideas.

Bill Beane