WWCYD: One for Many?

Kyle A.

Here is the situation. Your heroes and their teammates have just attacked the fortress of the evil Necromancer. You manged to escape with the key to his ritual that make him powerful enough to slaughter all the inhabitants of the city at the same time, thus allowing him to instantly raise an undead army. One member of your team was captured and the Necromancer has just delivered a message saying you can have them back in exchange for the item you took.

What does your chacter do?

Does it change anything if they know that if their friend is killed they will become the Necromancer's undead slave?

What if they know the Necromaner is not capable of lying or bending the truth and that they really will get back their friend if they agree?

Re: WWCYD: One for Many?

All characters: "The needs of the many must outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." Being a Hero meas doing The Right Thing even at great personal cost. They would expect any teammate to do the same were positions reversed. Destroy the key, conduct the rescue operation.

Anthem and Uncle Slam are both going in after 'em. There's no such thing as surrender. Both realize that the hero may be lost as a result, but they also know you get into this line of business to protect the innocent. Difference is, Uncle Slam will probably deal with the loss better, because he's seen a great many heroes die.

I don't know a single hero who would accept this lying down.

They'd storm the castle and rescue their friend without giving the necromancer back his key, or if they weren't massively moral they'd promise him the key and then go back on their word to bust their friend out.

No way hosey. Key and friend, every time.

I don't know a single hero who would accept this lying down.

They'd storm the castle and rescue their friend without giving the necromancer back his key, or if they weren't massively moral they'd promise him the key and then go back on their word to bust their friend out.

No way hosey. Key and friend, every time.

Amen. All the necromancer can look forward to is a vigorous beating for trying this stunt. If the captive is killed, I expect to see players making that ego roll to ignore the Code Vs Killing.

I'd try to differentiate for some of my characters but not one of them would let this stuff go down the way the necromancer wants it. Frankly, most of these guys would have brought the fortress down around the necromancer's ears during the initial brawl. They're a very destructive lot and often take highly durable suroundings as a personal challenge.

Guest Strassenzauber

Just like in the Spider-Man movie, the Necromancer will have underestimated his opponent(s), and the heroes will achieve the best of both worlds... somehow.

Deus Ex Machina, my friend. Not the video game: the GM's "special power". ;)

Amen. All the necromancer can look forward to is a vigorous beating for trying this stunt. If the captive is killed' date=' I expect to see players making that ego roll to ignore the Code Vs Killing.[/quote']

A couple of decades ago, I managed to save three teammates from just such a problem and did so without killing the Big Nasty. That was a kinder and more optimistic Ghost Archer. Of the three, only one remained relatively uneffected as the finger she lost was later regenerated. Another, after seeing all the terrible deeds he'd been forced to do, committed suicide. The last became totally evil and is my personal nemesis. He is still trying to kill me and all of my team. The Big Nasty? Dropped into a pocket Universe all his own. He is once again on the loose.

This time, no prison or pocket Universe, no matter how . . . unpleasant. This time he doesn't get off since the Code against Killing I once had has been replaced by a far more cynical point of view.

Queen of Spades would be most royally pissed that Necro-boy did in an entire city just to get the 'key' back. Besides, waste of resources to raise an entire city right when you've commited yourself to the ritual. But she'd give the 'key' back in exchange for the teammate.

However, being the kind who takes absolutly no chances, she'd quickly construct an explosive shell designed to trigger in multiple ways to go boom (even remote teleportation would set it off), and stuff the 'key' inside of it. Then she'd sneak it close to the dead-head, hand off a false 'disarming device' in exchange, and run like a bat outta hell with teammate in tow.

What does your chacter do?

Well, Nucleon himself is nigh omnipotent and basically, a GM. But in this epic, anniversary issue, let's see what would dashing, impulsive Bravewind would do;

His group has decided that the lives of many must be preserved over the lives of a few, and knowing the hostage for what she is (a self-sacrificing hero), they gloomily prepare to the loss.

But Bravewind, more warrior than hero, ever refuses to bow down and thus losing a valuable comrade; Such is Bravewind's Honor. He steals the Key from the group and disappearing, arrange for a meeting with the Necromancer and (long story short) ends up fighting him in a uphill battle with the help of Hostage, as the rest of the group burst through the wall shouting the appropriate rallying warcry; Many shine, but still it is not sufficient to defeat the Necromancer until ... Hostage sacrifice herself, willingly, to vanquish the Necromancer.

They have won the day...

But at what cost?...

Queen of Spades would be most royally pissed that Necro-boy did in an entire city just to get the 'key' back. Besides, waste of resources to raise an entire city right when you've commited yourself to the ritual. But she'd give the 'key' back in exchange for the teammate.

However, being the kind who takes absolutly no chances, she'd quickly construct an explosive shell designed to trigger in multiple ways to go boom (even remote teleportation would set it off), and stuff the 'key' inside of it. Then she'd sneak it close to the dead-head, hand off a false 'disarming device' in exchange, and run like a bat outta hell with teammate in tow.

Most impressive...

Well, there's no real time limit, per se. If she was pressed, she'd use her VPP: "The Forge" (which is where her power armor comes from,) to do it, but that thing needs a chemical/mechanical blueprint to assemble things in it. As it stands, she wouldn't have much trouble tracking down some greymarket material and plenty of military-grade plastique--she just doesn't like doing it without a damned good reason.

WHITE KNIGHT would keep/destroy the item,

let the teammate suffer, would search for

a way to undo the necromancy later.

COSMO-KNIGHT would make a forgery of the item,

attempt to rook the Necromancer, kill him,

and rescue the teammate during the hostage swap..

The bigger the swindle the better.

Guest Black Lotus

Black Lotus would use Ninja Wall Climbing to infiltrate the fotress, creep up behind the Necromancer undetected using Ninja Invisibility, then give a long, dramatic Ninja speech after plunging his Ninja Sword hilt-deep into the Necromancer's back, thus thwarting his evil plans, saving the team member, and keeping the item all in one shot.

(Yes... Black Lotus is also a Champions character. Well, he is now, anyway. People kept poking fun of me for my "Super Ninja" title, so I wrote him up. :) )

Quasar - Turn over the Key to Mystica, the magic character in the team, then rally the super group. "We are a team. We leave no one behind! Together, we can do ANYTHING!!!"

Set off with two objectives:

First and foremost - Rescue the team member

Second - Arrest the Necromancer, if at all possible

Shadowhunter - Shadowhunter knows bugger-all about magic keys. But hostage rescue situations, THAT'S something he knows about.

He'd skulk into the Necromancer's lair with one objective - Take down the Necromancer, hard, fast and painfully. The rest is just mop up.

Mystica - After she properly disposed of this magical Key, she would realise that there are many magic relics and artifacts that can be misused. Anyone who would misuse one powerful item would seek out and abuse others. Someone like that can not be allowed to roam free.

Once the team entered the Necromancer's lair, she would let Quasar and the others deal with the inevitable dosens of minions the Necromancer would have roaming about. She would seek out and engage the Necromancer in single Mage Combat. The Necromancer would then discover what many DEMON Morbanes already have - The granddaughter of the Archmage is not one to take lightly!