Things to Do With Hunteds

Supreme

A friend of mine and I cooked these two things to do with Hunteds, to add a little flavor to the game:

1. Rogue's Gallery

The character has a number of independent villains, all of whom are hunting him. These villains all have either powers, or themes, that relate to the character. These villains do not (normally) work as a team, but instead show up one at a time. For each session, the GM rolls a single hunted, and then selects the villain most appropriate to the scenario.

A Rogue's Gallery should be created by the GM (working with the player, if the player is willing). It should include at least three, and probably not more than six villains. This allows a hero to group several hunteds under a disadvantage - while avoiding the annoyance of having them all turn up at once.

Example

Hyperion (Master of Light) is a super-science based hero with light powers. His motivation for fighting crime is a sense of responsibility (with great power....). His player chooses to have a Rogue's Gallery Hunted. Player and GM sit down and discuss ideas. With themes of light, science, and responsibility, they come up with the following villains:

[*]Plutona Regina (Scientist with the ability to create agents of "solidified darkness")

[*]Berserker (an alien, insane, random, and violent, who shoots "change rays")

[*]Mirror (a petty thief with the mutant power to reflect light and energy

attacks)

[*]Count Zero (wears power armor with cold powers)

For this week, the adventure is centered around the Bog Witch (a celtic-magic themed villainess). The GM rolls for a hunted, and determines that

one of Hyperion's hunteds is due to show up. Plutona Regina would be a good choice - but the players put her in jail two sessions ago. The Bog Witch

might use her mind control fog on Berserker - but the GM already has Samhain (a brick/martial artist) scheduled to be the Witch's bodyguard (for a

future plot device). He decides to use Mirror, and further decides that Mirror is the one who will tip off the players that the Bog Witch is up to something. Mirror's motive is to steal some of the Witch's treasure, while the witch is distracted by the heroes. And if Mirror can get off a few shots at Hyperion - so much the better.

Aside from adding charm and atmosphere to the game, a rogue's gallery also has the strategic advantage of keeping the players on their toes, so to speak. If everyone knows that Villain X is vulnerable to Attack Y, then all the Heroes who can pull off an Attack Y will do so the moment Villain X shows up. A GM may give +10 points instead of +5, to encourage players to have a rogue's gallery.

2. Pschological Limitation: "I Must Deal With ______ Myself"

This is a psych lim specific to a hunted where the hero feels that he must take on the hunted alone. It's his fight, his responsibility, his burden, etc. The hero will not accept any help from his teammates. How common the limitation of the psych lim stems directly from how often the villain shows up. The severity of the psych lim should be moderate, but if the player is willing to have his hero allow the world to be endangered by a doomsday device, while he takes on General Woundwort, that's up to him (and the GM's approval).

Re: Things to Do With Hunteds

This sort of thing is great for heroes who are supposed to be experienced and established.

In my "Reward-based Points Campaign Guidelines" I included a version of this. +5 pts for 2-4 Rogues, +10pts for 5 or more. Normally only one would show up at a time, but occaisionally they might band together.

heh, these are kinda like the rival limitations. But yes they would be fun very fun.

I have a few rivals that make me laugh, they tend to take advantage of established character's weaknesses...

Like Ekaterina which I posted earlier on a thread. She's drop dead gorgeous and more than enugh of a powerhouse to deal with her pious mercenary rival PC (who happens to have psyc limitation sucker for a pretty face, not to mention tons of ones not letting himself be shown up ;) ) It's so much fun to play with your PCs, hehe ^^

I'm pretty sure he'll end up dating her too, wich would amuse the crap out of me. Especially with her whip focus.

A friend of mine and I cooked these two things to do with Hunteds, to add a little flavor to the game:

1. Rogue's Gallery

The character has a number of independent villains, all of whom are hunting him. These villains all have either powers, or themes, that relate to the character. These villains do not (normally) work as a team, but instead show up one at a time. For each session, the GM rolls a single hunted, and then selects the villain most appropriate to the scenario.

I use Rogue's Gallery hunteds, too. In my opinion they are better at mirroring the actual frequency with which most hunters show up. They are especially appropriate in solo/very small group situations.

I haven't quite sorted out the relationship between individual hunters and their impact on teams, though.

you'd have to talk to "somebody" about that one ;) but since it's just be the two of you why not' date=' gonna keep wackyweasle around while you're at it? not sure she'd appreciate it...unless you shared.[/quote']

bah, 20 pts to hunt onyx, 20 for mantisman (+5 because he's a PC), and 20 for wackyweasle. or you can rescale them for your game.

Polygamy worm!

This is what I came up with on Rogues Galleries sometime ago to help me design the backgrounds for my characters.

Rogues Gallery Archetypes:

Origin Villain A: Villain intentionally created Hero

example: Ultron for The Vision

Origin Villain B: Villain accidentally created Hero

Cinematic Green Goblin for Spiderman

Origin Villain C: Villain, drawn into Hero's origin, witnessed origin

?

Origin Villain D: Villain drawn into Hero's origin, unknowingly involved in origin

?

Thematic Opposite: Villain has powers or mission that are symbolically or materially opposed to the hero's

Kryptonite Man for Superman

Rival Master: Villain has very similar powers and inevitably the two must clash to discover who is the best

Dr. Octopus for Spiderman (8 Limb Motif and Scientists)

Professor Von Zoom for the Flash

Monstrous Self: Villain is a reflection of a monstrous version of the hero

Bizarro for Superman

Vengeful Villain A: Villain considers the Hero someone who wronged them and set about developing the abilities to destroy the Hero

Green Goblin 2 for Spiderman

Vengeful Villain B: Villain considers the Hero the source of their pain and also involves the origin of their abilities

?

I just give a +5 for (many hunteds) when somebody wants a rogue's gallery.

I don't bother with this. I just say that the collective hunters are equivalent to a single hunted.

Essentially, if you have an 8- hunted, you have someone who shows up roughly one scenario in four.

An 8- Rogues' Gallery hunted means that someone will still show up roughly one scenario in four, but it could be one of a number of people.

The net disadvantage to the PC is the same.

---

Generally, on the topic:

One way to think of things is to consider an 8- hunted as consisting of a number of 7- and 6- hunteds. A 7- hunted will show up about one time in 6, while a 6- will show up about one time in 12. That allows you to make some kind of comparison with a year's publication of a comic title.

You can ask: how often does the Joker actually show up in a Bat-Book? How often does Luther show in the SuperBooks? - and tweak your hunteds appropriately.

I think we've moved onto a tangent. I don't think the original purpose of the thread was to discuss how to write up Hunted Disadvantages but rather' date=' how to [b']use[/b] Hunteds.

I have noticed quite a few characters are hunted by VIPER... and most everyone else seems to be hunted by UNTIL. How about other mundain but prominent organizations as interesting hunteds, like the ACLU. I think the ACLU as a hunted would be amusing (though if its level is anything above "watching", your PC might be dragged into court for some frivolous charge ala "The Incredibles".) Just a thought.

---Blue Rose

For long term campaigns I think its entirely reasonable for a PC to just take a fairly generic disad:

"Hunted by various goons under the GM's whim"

assign a level of frequency, power, and lethality to suit

Then when the PC's accidently piss off the wealth industrialist with a secret defense contract by breaking into his corporations head quarters, well, you have it covered.

Having the Mad Bomber show up week after week after week can get old really fast. Especially if he is gaining exp just as fast as the heros are. :snicker:

For long term campaigns I think its entirely reasonable for a PC to just take a fairly generic disad:

"Hunted by various goons under the GM's whim"

assign a level of frequency, power, and lethality to suit

Then when the PC's accidently piss off the wealth industrialist with a secret defense contract by breaking into his corporations head quarters, well, you have it covered.

Having the Mad Bomber show up week after week after week can get old really fast. Especially if he is gaining exp just as fast as the heros are. :snicker:

Well, that's sort of the point of a rogues gallery. You keep things alive, but still have things like character development and atmosphere, rather than letting it boil down to the same guy every time you roll the hunted, or something totally generic and unconnected like "Hunted by various goons under the GM's whim."