Straight up easy question . . .

I didn't want to bother Steve with this so I'm posting it here. I've been GM'ing Champions and have managed to get almost my entire group hooked on HERO (score one for TKD). So now my old D&D DM is converting to HERO for his new fantasy campaign, one of my friends is looking into making a Jedi campaign, and the farthest along of the secondary campaigns is going to be Dark Champions which I started making a character for. I want my guy to have .45 caliber revolvers as his primary weapon with some naked advantages, but I can't get the cost of the Peacemakers in ReFREd to work right.

All I see is a 2d6-1 RKA (25 points) with the +1/4 advantage of +1 Stun Multiplier. By my math that comes up to 31 AP, but it's listed as 34 (which doesn't work by any math that I can come up with). So am I right that it's actually 31 AP or am I missing something?

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but any points I can save can go into some characteristics at this point which always nice.

Re: Straight up easy question . . .

Your point calculation is correct. Adding in the +1 OCV, the .45 should be 36 APs not, 39.

At a guess, I imagine the problem in the rules is likely a typo.

Perhaps it's a leftover from a dropped idea: charging a couple of points to do 1d6-1 instead of 1/2d6.

There another element you may wish to consider when buying firearms. The additional limit for "STR Min doesn't add damage" on something (RKA) where STR doesn't add damage in the first place. The GM may wish to drop a limit that imposes no additional limits.

Long claims the rule still holds, although he has no explanation for it in his FAQ besides making up a mystical "different kind of killing attack" left over from the old days.

Firearms are truly whacked in HERO…

You should use mine at the website below instead :)

I didn't want to bother Steve with this so I'm posting it here. I've been GM'ing Champions and have managed to get almost my entire group hooked on HERO (score one for TKD). So now my old D&D DM is converting to HERO for his new fantasy campaign, one of my friends is looking into making a Jedi campaign, and the farthest along of the secondary campaigns is going to be Dark Champions which I started making a character for. I want my guy to have .45 caliber revolvers as his primary weapon with some naked advantages, but I can't get the cost of the Peacemakers in ReFREd to work right.

All I see is a 2d6-1 RKA (25 points) with the +1/4 advantage of +1 Stun Multiplier. By my math that comes up to 31 AP, but it's listed as 34 (which doesn't work by any math that I can come up with). So am I right that it's actually 31 AP or am I missing something?

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but any points I can save can go into some characteristics at this point which always nice.

I believe you have found an error. You are correct that the book lists 34 as the active cost. With a base cost of 25, it would take a +9/25 advantage to bring the cost up to 34. Use 31.

There another element you may wish to consider when buying firearms. The additional limit for "STR Min doesn't add damage" on something (RKA) where STR doesn't add damage in the first place. The GM may wish to drop a limit that imposes no additional limits.

Interesting, I saw that available in HD while making the character and figured it was just a mistake since RKA's don't allow for STR to damage anyway. I'll forward your website on to our Dark Champions GM for his perusal.

Long claims the rule still holds, although he has no explanation for it in his FAQ besides making up a mystical "different kind of killing attack" left over from the old days.

Firearms are truly whacked in HERO…

You should use mine at the website below instead :)

Steve posted a remark to the discussion boards a while ago that that was a leftover from the 4E weapon charts which he essentially copied over directly into 5E, without examining the breakdown of the builds. He mentioned that he intends to rebuild and recost everything when The Ultimate Weapon is published.

The point difference is generally pretty minor, and only pertinent in Superheroic games.

He mentioned that he intends to rebuild and recost everything when The Ultimate Weapon is published..

A little late after passing on the chance to correct the problem of 'copying old stuff into 5th' when it continued in Dark Champions, 5th revised, and the current online FAQ.

The point difference is generally pretty minor, and only pertinent in Superheroic games.

Like all things, it matters to those who use that part of the rules. Some dig for even single points to match a concept.

I've seen in a some places (4th ed Dark Champions, I think; it might be in 5th ed Dark Champions too, which I don't own) that you can buy 1d6-1 of a killing attack (sort of "2.5 damage classes") for 12 points. Using that, 2d-1 comes to 27 base, and with the +1/4 advantage it works out to the 31 active.

Kelcyron

I've seen in a some places (4th ed Dark Champions, I think; it might be in 5th ed Dark Champions too, which I don't own) that you can buy 1d6-1 of a killing attack (sort of "2.5 damage classes") for 12 points. Using that, 2d-1 comes to 27 base, and with the +1/4 advantage it works out to the 31 active.

Kelcyron

It's that way in the 5th Edition of Dark Champions too.

I hate looking in that book.

Edit: Went and updated the points costs for all the weapons on my website. I love computers, only took a couple minutes.

Edit 2: Hero Designer gives its cost at 25 points. Interesting.

I like the 27 point version better actually. 1d6-1 *is* more effective than 1d3.

Guest Black Lotus

Just have your character pick one up at a sporting-goods store' date=' and save the character points. :)[/quote']

Or you could travel to End-World and look for some there... I hear .45 caliber sidearms are popular there. ;)

Just have your character pick one up at a sporting-goods store' date=' and save the character points. :)[/quote']

He's doing that very thing, but I'm building weapon tricks (Naked Advantages) related to these specific weapons so knowing the correct cost of the item still matters in terms of character points.

Actually it also matters because we're using Resource Pools instead of money for weapons so those couple of points could still matter.

All I want to know is when the face off between Tae Kwon Dan and tkdguy is going to take place.

Two men enter, one man leaves!

No .45s allowed!

Better than Pay-Per-View! :)

Gah, here I am asking a simple question and folks are already calling for mortal combat. :nonp:

Gah' date=' here I am asking a simple question and folks are already calling for mortal combat. :nonp:[/quote']

People keep saying how friendly the HeroGames boards are compared to the rest of the internet.

We don't want to come off as whussy. :slap:

Way to go in converting a group to HERO! Rep. I just got a hint from the GM of a group I play with that he might be ready to try Hero too (he runs a 2nd ed. AD&D campaign and says he'd rather convert it to Hero than 3rd ed.)! I'm going to lend him my 5E since I just picked up 5ER, and I may GM a couple sessions to get him and the players into it.

Way to go in converting a group to HERO! Rep. I just got a hint from the GM of a group I play with that he might be ready to try Hero too (he runs a 2nd ed. AD&D campaign and says he'd rather convert it to Hero than 3rd ed.)! I'm going to lend him my 5E since I just picked up 5ER' date=' and I may GM a couple sessions to get him and the players into it.[/quote']

My DM has determined that everything he has from 2E converts into HERO much easier than to 3E. So that's while we'll be going there with him.

The guy running Dark Champions is an Actuary. He has a degree in Civil Engineering and then went back to become an actuary, because CE didn't involve "enough math." (That is a direct quote.) Saying that HERO has appeal to him is like saying I like smart, rich, women, with big boobs. It's just sort of a given.

The other guy just wants to run Star Wars in the worst way that can actually have Jedi and still work. The old West End Games stuff comes pretty close, but we feel that HERO balances it out more.

People keep saying how friendly the HeroGames boards are compared to the rest of the internet.

We don't want to come off as whussy. :slap:

Look I moderate at another gaming website. You guys have a long way to go.

Mortal combat doesn't even come close. ;)

That's right. I'm laying down the gauntlet for Internet Triple Cage match. I have no idea how this would work logistically, but it sounds cool.

Besides we're HERO players. We'll have to spend at least 3 weeks and 20 pages arguing over whether or not we should build the Triple Cage using an EC or a VPP. ;)

Besides we're HERO players. We'll have to spend at least 3 weeks and 20 pages arguing over whether or not we should build the Triple Cage using an EC or a VPP. ;)

¿Cuál es ése? ¿Usted consiguió algo contra multipowers, chum?

(Decided I'd throw in the use of a language other than English to further obfuscate the argument. ;) )

That's right. I'm laying down the gauntlet for Internet Triple Cage match. I have no idea how this would work logistically, but it sounds cool.

Well, do all three cages work at once? If not, it might be better as a MP. Or just as a layered AE entangle. ;)

Hmm...or just buy one cage and get the others at +5pts per doubling...

Don't forget to buy it through a Base to save points.

Especially if you define the cage as a "vault" so you get a Partial Coverage lim on it. You can define the stadium & seats as the rest of the base -- the cheaper part -- and the parking lot and concession stands outside as the "grounds".