Nanotech!

tkdguy

Re: Nanotech!

Why am I so suprised the luddites and rifkins are at it again? Calling for bans on substances that don't exist yet, claiming they are too dangerous.

Both studies were aspirated, not swallowed, nanotubes.

So, wear a respirator, don't snort the nanotubes or buckyballs, and wash your hands before touching your food or your face. ;)

To be honest, just about any substance can be dangerous if handled improperly. Most likely, any precautions required for the nanosheets would include using respirators while creating or shaping the products.

JoeG

So, wear a respirator, don't snort the nanotubes or buckyballs, and wash your hands before touching your food or your face. ;)

To be honest, just about any substance can be dangerous if handled improperly. Most likely, any precautions required for the nanosheets would include using respirators while creating or shaping the products.

"This Molecular Disintegration Device was intended to store energy, but we must be caution -- it would be a terrible weapon in the wrong hands!"

"There are right hands?"

There are some technologies (some would say nuclear fission and fusion are among them) that are so inherently dangerous that their very eixstence poses a threat. Nanotech could be one of those technologies.

You're a real ray of sunshine, aren't you? You're doing more damage to your health worrying like that than these technologies are ever likely to do. And OddHat's right, you should get checked for depression. "If only I had that excuse!" is, well, no excuse.

It's a fair question, though, how volatile these nanotube sheets might be and how they degrade.

Somewhere in ancient history:

"Fire! You want to control Fire!!! Your'e insane! It's too destructive! You'll do more harm than good! What happens if it gets into the wrong hands! We could all be destroyed!! Civilization will end!"

"Look. chill, I'm trying to cook this lizard here ok?"

"This Molecular Disintegration Device was intended to store energy, but we must be caution -- it would be a terrible weapon in the wrong hands!"

"There are right hands?"

There are some technologies (some would say nuclear fission and fusion are among them) that are so inherently dangerous that their very eixstence poses a threat. Nanotech could be one of those technologies.

And I disagree. Fission has killed fewer people than oil, and I don't recall a single person being killed yet by fusion.

I don't get off even that easy. It would actually feel better if I were depressed' date=' because at least [i']then[/i] I'd have an excuse.

On the earlier comment about Luddites: even though I am typing this on a collection of mass-proiduced devices, I am beginning to think that if the Luddites had won a lot of really horrible things, from Atomic Weapons to Peak Oil, would never have come to pass and western Civilization might actually have a shot at surviving past 2025.

Also, a whole lot of people would have never been born, because their ancestors would have died of starvation, or disease that could have been treated if technology had advanced.

Nothing is one sided.

Why am I so suprised the luddites and rifkins are at it again? Calling for bans on substances that don't exist yet' date=' claiming they are too dangerous.[/quote']

Someone should point out to them that both Rifkin and Ned Ludd were too dangerous to loose on the world, but we took that chance.

Hey! When viewed at with such in mind, maybe they've got a point!

No, seriously--

I like the Luddite movement. It gives whacky and under-informed people something to do with their time. ;)

Somewhere in ancient history:

"Fire! You want to control Fire!!! Your'e insane! It's too destructive! You'll do more harm than good! What happens if it gets into the wrong hands! We could all be destroyed!! Civilization will end!"

"Look. chill, I'm trying to cook this lizard here ok?"

Would somebody maybe suggest some places I can spend some rep so I can tap both G-A and Doc A again?

I think that was the most beautiful description of science vs the arcane that I have ever read. :thumbup:

Would somebody maybe suggest some places I can spend some rep so I can tap both G-A and Doc A again?

I think that was the most beautiful description of science vs the arcane that I have ever read. :thumbup:

First, thank you. occasionally I am inspired, but that's an example of how my brain works more than anything.

And of course, now you know why some people keep track of who they owe Rep to in their sigs.

And of course' date=' now you know why some people keep track of who they owe Rep to in their sigs.[/quote']

I used to do that, but often found myself updating it two or three times a day. For a while I kept the list on my website, but it was a hassle to update the list and then upload it. Now I just keep it as a text file on my system, along with a list of the last 25 people I've repped. It's a lot more useful that way, and simpler to maintain. And when I rep someone, they go on the bottom of the list and the person at the top comes off. When someone isn't on the list of the 25 most recent, I know I can rep them again. :)