Need help building this one...

Susano

Okay, here's how this one works... you have a flying object, and said flying object is constantly dripping various noxious fluids as it flys about. If these fluids drop on a person, that person will fall gravely ill.

Now, the illness part is easy (Drain versus BODY & CON), but anyone have an suggestions on how to model the dripping part?

Continious, Uncontrolled, AOE: Hex? Only if target is "below"?

Thanks.

How about AoE Line (with Continuous etc.)? Buy the length of the line up to the maximum altitude of your 'flying thing'. IRC a continuous AE affects everyone it moves over at least once (in the same way that it effects everyone who moves into it).

Michael

Re: Need help building this one...

Originally posted by Susano

Okay, here's how this one works... you have a flying object, and said flying object is constantly dripping various noxious fluids as it flys about. If these fluids drop on a person, that person will fall gravely ill.

Now, the illness part is easy (Drain versus BODY & CON), but anyone have an suggestions on how to model the dripping part?

Continious, Uncontrolled, AOE: Hex? Only if target is "below"?

I think I would build this with an AE: Any, and double the number of hexes until they match the maximum flight distance of your object/creature, then double again to cover the maximum height the creature might fly and still be able to hit someone from the air. For example, if the creature can fly 10"/phase with a NCM of *4, that's potentially 40". Let's say that the maximum height the creature can achieve and still effectively hit every hex below itself is 40" You might judge that to be more or less, depending on how viscuous the liquid is, and the rate of drippage (is that a word)? That's 1600 hexes that could potentially be hit by the falling drops. So let's say you go with 2d6 Drain Con, Continuous (+1), Uncontrolled (+½), NND (LS: disease, or an intervening barrier; +1). That's an active cost of 70 without the Area Effect, meaning a base of 7 hex area. 1600/7=228.5 which is close enough to 256 for our purposes. So tack on AE (Any; +1), Extra Area (x256; +2). This takes the cost up to a whopping 130 Active Points, but then again, you can hit anything in your flight path at any altitude below yours with 70 Active Points of Drain, so it should be pretty expensive. You should also put a limitation on the power that it only affects areas "below the flight path of the object", which I think would be worth about -½.

Of course, others might have better ideas, but I think this is pretty accurate, although expensive. Not to mention, your numbers might be lower depending on the flight speed and max altitude of the object.

Helpfully,

Steve

can we get a description of what this power actually is? or the sfx of it, or whatever?

Is this a raincloud of acid and doom, or a discontinent seagull? Is it tenser's floating punchbowl?

That might help us define the power a little better.

Originally posted by nuada

can we get a description of what this power actually is? or the sfx of it, or whatever?

Is this a raincloud of acid and doom, or a discontinent seagull? Is it tenser's floating punchbowl?

That might help us define the power a little better.

For those of you who recall a previous thread of mine (named "Best thread ever" by someone), this is also for the Asian Bestiary I am working on.

The object in question is a flying head that trails the human digestive system (stomach, intestine, and so on) behind it. The intestine will drip blood and assorted fluids, and if this stuff hits a person they will fall ill.

EEWWWW!!!

I don't think it even needs to hit you to make you sick. Just a description will do. :)

Based on this, AOE: line seems to make a lot of sense. You might need to add on to that to say that the line doesn't have to be straight. The limitation 'only things beneath it' seems fine. I wouldn't worry about vertical hexes, since presumably, if it hits something that isn't on the ground, then the place below that thing is protected (sheltered) by the thing it hit. Thus, it's virtually single-planed as an attack.

That is most revolting.

I like the AE: Any, Nonselective for the effect. No need to buy extra area for the height; as Nuada pointed out, if it hits something, he won't hit anything below that. For SFX sakes I'd fudge the area to not account for all targets being on the same plane, just below designated flight path.

Other than this, I'd need to know if the Severed Head of Doom (or whatever the ghastly thing's name is) is written up. Is it just the SFX for the attack (perhaps a focus)? Is it it's own character? Something else maybe?

Originally posted by Dust Raven

Other than this, I'd need to know if the Severed Head of Doom (or whatever the ghastly thing's name is) is written up. Is it just the SFX for the attack (perhaps a focus)? Is it it's own character? Something else maybe?

It is an independent creature.

In fact, Space Cadet was correct, this is for my write-up of the Penanggalan.

One question is: how high does this thing fly? If it never goes more than a few meters up, then a one-hex area is enough, with limitations always on and only the hex right below.

On the other hand, to get nasty, lighten the limitation and the thing can flick its entrails to splatter its target with goo.

Wonderfully hideous!

If it were anyone but the esteemed Mr. Surbrook who came up with that one, I'd be running away and hiding...:eek:

Not familiar with that particular beastie. Does one have to come in contact with the entrails themselves, or is there sufficient drippage from them to affect anyone the critter flies over?

Sounds like the latter, from what's been said so far.

I'd lean toward some variant of Area Effect (Line or Any), probably with Non-Selective. I'd toss in "Must Fly Over Target" (-1/2 to -1?), and say the potentially extended Area Effect is just Special Effect. Figuring most targets will probably be on the ground, it's not much of an Advantage or Limitation.

Truely vile, sir. I salute you.;)

Love the web-site. Have for years. Waiting for a new update, BTW...:D

Originally posted by Mr Mole

If it were anyone but the esteemed Mr. Surbrook who came up with that one, I'd be running away and hiding...:eek:

Not familiar with that particular beastie. Does one have to come in contact with the entrails themselves, or is there sufficient drippage from them to affect anyone the critter flies over?

The latter.

Sounds like the latter, from what's been said so far.

I'd lean toward some variant of Area Effect (Line or Any), probably with Non-Selective. I'd toss in "Must Fly Over Target" (-1/2 to -1?), and say the potentially extended Area Effect is just Special Effect. Figuring most targets will probably be on the ground, it's not much of an Advantage or Limitation.

I was using AOE Radius, but I think I'll switch it to "Any".

Truely vile, sir. I salute you.;)

Love the web-site. Have for years. Waiting for a new update, BTW...:D

Thank you. Next update should be this Sunday.