Moderately Large Creatures and DCV

Wilfred_Death

I've been designing a couple of larger creatures for my setting, and they seem fine except when it comes to their DCV rating.

This is because of the Negatives to DCV when creatures are larger.

In the Fantasy Hero Bestiary, They have a Chimera ( 291 pts), which is merely "large" ie -2DCV. Its writeup seems fine, until I remember that LIm.

Which changes its Base 5 DCV to 3

Ok so now the Average NPC townsman will hit it no problem

( Of course he will get killed first )

But vs Startting 75/75 PCs this thing will tend to be minced, as at worst to Hit any desired spot will be DCV 11

OK.

So I am designing this beast, roughly analogous to a War Elephant.

Its Lumbering - SPD 2, but

has a Fairly High Ground Speed 10" - with no NCV that is it can only do 10"

but can do it all the time.

It's also not supposed to be the most Dextrous thing in the world either (12 )

SO now it has a base DCV of 4

However it counts as 'Enormous' ie -4 DCV

This gives it a DCV of 0.

ANY peasant can hit it with an unbalance rock....

The Beast has the Campaign Max Armour. 8 rPD, and about 10 PD with a couple of weak Spots with less armour, and unarmoured Eyes.

The Idea was that 'Heros' would perhaps shoot the thing in the Eyeball, or in other vulnerable spots, thus enraging it.

But Even using the -11 DCV penalty to Hit something right in the Eyeball

that makes DCV 11

That's not a difficult shot for anyone, let alone a 75/75 PC

to hit this thing in the Vitals is only DCV 8....... probably an 11- roll or better for any PC...

My question is : How do you guys run larger creatures ?

Do you give them a throbbingly High DEX to start with ?

Or do you ignore the size penalty?

Or do you give the things 'Mystical DCV' Levels ?

Whilst this size thing seems great for Dragons and such, I'm not sure for creatures like the two mentioned.

Re: Moderately Large Creatures and DCV

The DCV modifiers for larger creatures are totally inaccurate and ridiculous, at least for hand to hand combat. Think of it this way: If you look at things from a more extreme scale, what are the chances that an ant could attack a human being if that human is prepared for an attack? The ant would have no chance because the human has a much higher movement rate than that ant. Any human could easily remove itself from an ant's range of attack and then still have the range to squash that ant. A larger creature would have the same advantage because it's movement rate and reach are commensurate to it's size. If anything, a larger creature should have a bonus to it's CV to attack and defend against a creature of smaller size.

Just my two cents.

First, hit locations differ from animal to animal, and aren't the same as that for a person. Check out pg. 33 of the Hero System Bestiary for a detailed explanation.

Second, I think just about anybody could hit an elephant if they wanted to. The trick is standing there and hitting it knowing it's gonna take a whack at you right back, and frankly, a normal guy taking 2d6 HKA of tusk or a 9d6 hand attack from a foot or trunk is gonna be pretty sorry he ever crossed that elephant, and even a hardened vet is gonna be hurtin', armor or not. (I'm referencing the elephant on pg 164 of the Bestiary, by the way, just for example)

Now imagine that elephant gettin' up a head of steam and goin' for the trample/moveby or move through maneuver. That bad boy can do something like 13d6 of damage if he hits ya just right (cuz they have 12" running, see). And if it's an actual war-trained elephant the likes of which you're talkin' about, I might just give it a combat level with it's tusks or HTH combat or something--at least a +1 to OCV--just to show training.

And let's just say that the elephant lets out one o' them trumpets, trunk up and ears out like you see in the movies. That's a Presence attack if I ever saw one. Easily 5d6 on account of they have a PRE of 25. Add some dice if they're makin' a ruckus and bellowin' something fierce, and if it just squashed ol' Jeb The Farmer for throwin' a rock at it's privates that's another die or two right there. Even if that bad boy's up against a vet with a 15-20 PRE, he still might pause for thought if you get a good roll, you know?

I mean really, a guy with a sword is gonna have to whack it a few times to kill it--elephants have 12 PD (2 of it resistant) and 30 BODY--and you think that big ol' phant is just gonna sit there and take it? Nope. He's gonna be dishin' out a little whoop-@$$ of his own.

Yep, you gotta be pretty brave to sit there and duke it out with a beast like that.

Just some things to take into consideration. It ain't always just about the numbers. Sometimes ya gotta play it like it's meant to be played.

First' date=' hit locations differ from animal to animal, and aren't the same as that for a person. Check out pg. 33 of the [i']Hero System Bestiary[/i] for a detailed explanation.

I mean really, a guy with a sword is gonna have to whack it a few times to kill it--elephants have 12 PD (2 of it resistant) and 30 BODY--and you think that big ol' phant is just gonna sit there and take it? Nope. He's gonna be dishin' out a little whoop-@$$ of his own.

Yep, you gotta be pretty brave to sit there and duke it out with a beast like that.

Just some things to take into consideration. It ain't always just about the numbers. Sometimes ya gotta play it like it's meant to be played.

Good example thanks..

I still think PCs are going to Do placed Bow shots to the eye really easily, and yes I did write up a revised Hit location chart for this creature

The DCV modifiers for larger creatures are totally inaccurate and ridiculous, at least for hand to hand combat.

I always found the penalties imposed by the Size Disadvatages for larger than human sizes to be far more penalizaing that the points would indicate. To that end, I took the DCV penalty as a value which negates range penalties to hit the creature, and haved the penalty to its normal DCV..

Thus, an enormous creature would allow ranged attackers a +4 RMod to ranged attacks, and would be at -2 DCV.

Thus far it has worked fine, but as usual YMMV.

For actually bashing at the things like Vanguard00 said I think that's a good explanation....

I guess it'd be really easy to Hit an Elephant in a random location, with an Assegai, and then get crushed on the Elephants phase.

I Just Think that it is still too easy this way. To Stab it in the "vulnerable spot" which causes it to stop attacking ( faint, run, etc ) is too easy.

PCs are just going to 1/2 Move back and Bowshot to Eye, by which I mean like in the old Dark Champions Books : -12 OCV, x5 STUNx x 2.5 BODYX

- No armour at all on the Eye-Ball -

(So Using an Elephant ) and Longbows..

They can Probably kill the thing in two or three shots, as they only have to Hit

DCV 12 on the first shot, and that shot will probably stun it.

Leaving the thing much more vulnerable to the next shots...

Or at least 'blind in one eye'

If the thing catches them, they're going to suffer badly, but I assume they will have PRE - attacked - a load of Spear Carriers to go forward and slow down the 'Elephant'

So I think that I might try what nevereverend suggested..

and see how that goes

What I did with very large creatures was threefold.

1) They get Damage Reduction (Resistant, Physical and Energy) linked to their size.

____25% at "3 levels of Growth" (8x Human mass) (-2 DCV level)

____50% at "6 levels of Growth" (64x human mass) (-4 DCV level)

____75% at "12 levels of Growth) (4096x human mass) (-8 DCV level)

Theory being that human scale weapons are miniscule to such a large creature and just dont leave a wide enough or deep enough wound to do a lot of damage. At 12 levels of Growth equivalent, the creature (were it man shaped) would be 16 times as large in each dimension as a normal man. Relative to it, a normal man's weapons will be 1/16th as large. A mighty warrior who sinks his sword to its hilt into the giant beast will be penetrating the equivalent of about 5 centimeters/2 inches. Yes, it can kill you if it is done in -just- the right place, but...

2) Oversize creatures wearing armor get additional DEF linked to their size.

____+2 rDEF to any worn armor per 3 levels of Growth.

Theory being that, while mass increases by cubes, surface area only increases by squares. If a '3 levels of growth' giant is proportioned exactly like a normal man in all regards, including his equipment, then his suit of plate armor will have twice the absolute thickness of the normal man's. In the current armor tables, doubling the mass of armor increases DEF by 2. In the case of Growth, one doubles the thickness every 3 level equivalents, so that should add 2 DEF also, IMO.

In your case, DEF in excess of 8 should be allowed if it is the result of massive size.

3) Very large creatures arent necessarily proportioned exactly like a man in all their parts. Some parts dont need to be any larger than they are on a man in order to perform their function. Eyes are a prime example. Unless a giant creature's vision is going to be greatly superior to a man's, roughly man sized eyes will suffice. Meaning that the growth DCV penalty may not apply, at least in full, to 'eye' shots.

What I did with very large creatures was threefold.

3) Very large creatures arent necessarily proportioned exactly like a man in all their parts. Some parts dont need to be any larger than they are on a man in order to perform their function. Eyes are a prime example. Unless a giant creature's vision is going to be greatly superior to a man's, roughly man sized eyes will suffice. Meaning that the growth DCV penalty may not apply, at least in full, to 'eye' shots.

This Sounds like it might be the way to go.

The Creature in question is like an oversized Tasmanian Devil - They had Huge Dinosaur ancestors apparrently.

For Various Reasons in this campaign, the toughest creature armor possible

is 10 rPD, this one has 8rPD.

The Non Resistant PD can be much higher for large creatures.

This creature has 'Dinosaur' bony plates over most of its' body ( 8 DEF Hardened)

Dinosaur Scales over the Rest ( 6DEF Hardened )

A Hit location chart that makes , hitting the 'Eye' Area -8OCV with 6DEF.

It has a 2D6 HKA Bite, a 9D6 N 'Bash'

Carries a crew of 3 'Elite Soldiers' 2 Of which man a Semi Automatic Arbalest.

As by the 'rules' it has a Base DCV of 0. Because it is 'Enormous' like an Elephant.

The Actual Eye-Balls, are supposed to be 'fist sized' and the "heroic' way of stopping these creatures is to shoot them in the 'eye - ball' - 0 DEF

So this is why I am wondering whether if I set it at -12 OCV to hit the 'Eye-Ball', should that only End up being DCV 12,

Or Do I 'Ignore the Size penalty for that' and thus make it DCV 16 ?

Of course PCs trying to go toe to toe with these things are going to be Squashed, Bitten, Or merely Shot.

And Also they have to deal with the 'Panzer Infantry' analogues who travel with the beasts.

I assume that sooner or later the PCs will find some way to Ninja Stealth and try to take out these creatures using Placed Shots.

I have tried to balance the PD levels on creature so that a Human 'Druss the Legend' type will be able to do some damage, however slight to any creature that can exist.

Issues Of Damage reduction and etc don't really come into those considerations.

Assuming that one could 'convince' peasants to mindlessly attack ( Nigh to impossible to do ) a Swarm of Fanatic Peasants should be able to Kill anything, even though they take 100% casualties - I.E. No Creature Is Immune to Killing Damage.

The Mass Cubing, yes, that's realistic, but because of the above concerns I can't really use it here. Also My problem only deals with a smal area that has 0 DEF, 0PD

So uh, just how many eyes does this thing have again?

Oh yeah, does it need the eyes to attack with? I mean, maybe it uses smell or vibration as a targetting sense?

If they are mounts, then they can have barding which can provide extra DEF to vitals and somewhat to eyes - like armored visors or blinders.

Maybe the "eyes" aren't really the eyes (Capt. Kirk kicking some dude in the "knee").

Give the critter a few inches of Stretching due to size.

Give the critter plates, spikes or blades to increase lethality of its normal attacks - Return of the King, Horse Clans, etc.

I've been designing a couple of larger creatures for my setting, and they seem fine except when it comes to their DCV rating.

This is because of the Negatives to DCV when creatures are larger.

In the Fantasy Hero Bestiary, They have a Chimera ( 291 pts), which is merely "large" ie -2DCV. Its writeup seems fine, until I remember that LIm.

Which changes its Base 5 DCV to 3

Ok so now the Average NPC townsman will hit it no problem

( Of course he will get killed first )

But vs Startting 75/75 PCs this thing will tend to be minced, as at worst to Hit any desired spot will be DCV 11

OK.

So I am designing this beast, roughly analogous to a War Elephant.

Its Lumbering - SPD 2, but

has a Fairly High Ground Speed 10" - with no NCV that is it can only do 10"

but can do it all the time.

It's also not supposed to be the most Dextrous thing in the world either (12 )

SO now it has a base DCV of 4

However it counts as 'Enormous' ie -4 DCV

This gives it a DCV of 0.

ANY peasant can hit it with an unbalance rock....

The Beast has the Campaign Max Armour. 8 rPD, and about 10 PD with a couple of weak Spots with less armour, and unarmoured Eyes.

The Idea was that 'Heros' would perhaps shoot the thing in the Eyeball, or in other vulnerable spots, thus enraging it.

But Even using the -11 DCV penalty to Hit something right in the Eyeball

that makes DCV 11

That's not a difficult shot for anyone, let alone a 75/75 PC

to hit this thing in the Vitals is only DCV 8....... probably an 11- roll or better for any PC...

My question is : How do you guys run larger creatures ?

Do you give them a throbbingly High DEX to start with ?

Or do you ignore the size penalty?

Or do you give the things 'Mystical DCV' Levels ?

Whilst this size thing seems great for Dragons and such, I'm not sure for creatures like the two mentioned.

I generally ignore the campaign maximums for 'critters'. I would give it enough armor to survive a few hits as well as tweaking the 'called shot' penalty for hitting it in the eye.

Several good ideas have already been thrown out here but here's something I did for a large critter of my own with a nasty temper.

It had a pair of massive wicked sharp horns with several spines adorning its head and to freak out my players I wrote it up as a 2d6k damage sheild, only vs head shots, only vs hth combat. If you want to be particularly evil, you could also put a disarm on the horns, as a trigger (the beast swings its head side to side as a weapon is swung at it).:eg:

So uh, just how many eyes does this thing have again?

Two

Oh yeah, does it need the eyes to attack with? I mean, maybe it uses smell or vibration as a targetting sense?

Without Eyes, It is 'Blind Fighting' ie it is 'in the Dark'. In HTH range it's still going to 'Hit' because of the way I defined its' HTH attack - It threshes around in an area, Its bite would need to be aimed.

If they are mounts, then they can have barding which can provide extra DEF to vitals and somewhat to eyes - like armored visors or blinders.

Yes they can be 'Barded' then they are at Negatives to their own perception, and must rely more on their 'Driver' - For Where to go and what to attack next. The Driver can be shot fairly easily, in which case the beast just attacks wahtever it chooses. Of course the barding restricts its' vision and annoys the hell out of it....

Maybe the "eyes" aren't really the eyes (Capt. Kirk kicking some dude in the "knee").

Yes, It's little piggy eyes are exactly that its' primary visual sense organs.

What I'm really talking about here is the DCV for a player to put an Arbalest Bolt into the EYE - Whether or not he gets chewed afterwards, PCs will generally act first with higher DEX -

This 'Bolt' is then assumed to have 'Pentrated' the Brain - Hence the higher BODYx, and If this area is ever Hit, it has No Armour at All, and I assume No PD either. THe Bolt has to be aimed Through the Eye Visor IF it has one, that's why the -12 OCV.

- This is THe Harold HareFoot Effect ! -

And why I asked this question........................

Give the critter a few inches of Stretching due to size.

I didn't think that this was neccessary, if you are next to it it can hit you, bite you or crush you. But it has No Neck and stumpy little legs.

Give the critter plates, spikes or blades to increase lethality of its normal attacks - Return of the King, Horse Clans, etc.

Yeh, More lethal ones can have that.

Perhaps I should Rephrase this Question: -

The Orks have Captured Albert Einstein, And Leonardo Davinci,

Soon enough they have brough the

Mark I Ork Battle Tank, onto the Field.

This Tank is only a Little 'Tougher' than Plate Armour (10rPD ), But has a massive reinforcing Structure ( 20 PD )

It's only weak spot is the Two Vision Slots On the 'Eye Area Turret'

( -8 OCV to attack the turret itself )

However an arrow that Passes through one of these slots, always is funnelled directly into the Eyes of the Ork Behind the slot.

There are two of these,: The Pilot or Driver, and the Gun aimer.

Once these two are dead, the Tank loses most of its effectiveness.

The Infamous Elf Legolas claimed to have stopped one of these Ork Tanks.

He said that he fired an arrow into each of the slots, then waited til the tank bogged down, after that he ripped open the hatch and threw some hobbit commando inside.

What DCV Did Legolas Have to Hit?

Oh and the tank had Spikes and growth, and Effects desolidified, and everything else too

:)

I suppose it depends on how tough your pc's are, how far away from a normal person they are?

A normal person has Dex in the 8-10 range in my world and no wpn familiarity.

Trained toughs like mercenaries or city gaurd might have 11 dex and Wpn fams.

Veteran's and highly trained combat troops might have 14 dex and the odd skill level.

Exceptional beings, 150 point combat machines and the like should have a chance to fight an animal and win if they are clever.

YMMV.

I suppose it depends on how tough your pc's are, how far away from a normal person they are?

A normal person has Dex in the 8-10 range in my world and no wpn familiarity.

Trained toughs like mercenaries or city gaurd might have 11 dex and Wpn fams.

Veteran's and highly trained combat troops might have 14 dex and the odd skill level.

Exceptional beings, 150 point combat machines and the like should have a chance to fight an animal and win if they are clever.

YMMV.

Yes! that's about the same as I've got.

The PCs Count as Veterans as they are Highly trained Combat Troops.

The Legolas Example was only to get an idea of OCV Negatives for this sort of thing, As Large Creatures like this have a Base DCV of 0

So your veterans would have an OCV of 6 or 7 ?

Then they can Hit the 'Eye area' / 'Head Area' of such a Beast ( -8 OCV )

if they Roll 9- or 10-

And If I leave the 'Specific Eye-Ball' location at ( -12 OCV )

they hit this area on a 5- or 6- roll and that's reasonably hard.

( if I make the thing DCV 4 by ignoring its' size penalty ) then they only hit on a 3, which is probably more the level I think it should be. )

But PCs can buy PSLs versus Hit locations ( Up to 2 to start )

And Legolas Types can Have up to 4

So Legolas who has maxed out his combat skills and has Base OCV 10 and 4 PSLs--

Only has to Hit DCV 8, so a roll of 13- to hit the Eye Ball

( or if it has base DCV4 he hits on 9- )

So yes, Legolas Imbibed a Potion of Heroism ( +2 OCV ) and Autofire (2) D, his bow and took out the Ork Tank In 1 Phase..........

:) :)

I would look at the specific characters made for the game, rather than the campaign guidelines. If you build the creature so that it's difficult for maxed-out Legolas, and then no one builds a maxed-out Legolas, they are all screwed.

On the other hand, if you build it to be challenging but very killable for a standard tough guy type, and they build one or more maxed-out Legolases, they'll wonder what the big deal is about these creatures.

Here are a couple of rough and ready solutions:

Aiming for an eye with a bow and arrow in the middle of combat is difficult.

1. Increase the penalty for really huge creatures with proportionally smaller eyes.

2. Tack on a mandatory half phase for any called shot with an OCV penalty greater than 3

3. Tack on a mandatory full phase for any called shot with an OCV penalty greater than 6

4. Make a character placing a called shot with an OCV penalty greater than 3 at half DCV.

5. Attack the characters with a group of tiny critters and have them shoot their eyes out. How fun is that?

6. Disallow Hit locations. (many do. I only use them for flavor.)

7. "Ah ha! You thought you were going to hit, but my elephant just did an eyelid Block!"

8. Elephant's got two eyes. He's gonna trample the pipsqueak who doinked his first eye. And maybe the second elephant in the bush is gonna get a piece of the action, too.

9. Institue High and Low OCV/DCV caps.

10. Put an NCM on Skill lelvels (this is the system I use. It really cuts down on ridiculous CV's)

Keith "I got more..." Curtis

Several good ideas have already been thrown out here but here's something I did for a large critter of my own with a nasty temper.

It had a pair of massive wicked sharp horns with several spines adorning its head and to freak out my players I wrote it up as a 2d6k damage sheild, only vs head shots, only vs hth combat. If you want to be particularly evil, you could also put a disarm on the horns, as a trigger (the beast swings its head side to side as a weapon is swung at it).:eg:

Either that or the horns also provide Missile Deflection :eg:

Without Eyes, It is 'Blind Fighting' ie it is 'in the Dark'. In HTH range it's still going to 'Hit' because of the way I defined its' HTH attack - It threshes around in an area, Its bite would need to be aimed.

Yes, It's little piggy eyes are exactly that its' primary visual sense organs.

What I'm really talking about here is the DCV for a player to put an Arbalest Bolt into the EYE - Whether or not he gets chewed afterwards, PCs will generally act first with higher DEX -

What I was trying to hint at was maybe you should give the thing more than two eyes or make the eyes located in an unusual place. That way your players can't take advantage of the situation.

I didn't think that this was neccessary, if you are next to it it can hit you, bite you or crush you. But it has No Neck and stumpy little legs.

Again, if the thing is big, it should naturally be able to attack father than the hex adjacent to it. This provides you with options against characters trying to stay out of squish range.

after that he ripped open the hatch and threw some hobbit commando inside.

Off-topic, but..

That line just gave me about 8 or 10 _really_ cool ideas! ...unfortunately, I think I'll never get a chance to put them to use.. :/

ah well..

Here are a couple of rough and ready solutions:

Aiming for an eye with a bow and arrow in the middle of combat is difficult.

1. Increase the penalty for really huge creatures with proportionally smaller eyes.

My Players accepted : Called Shot to 'EyeBall' does not get the -DCV from Size - and they seem to be happy with that.

So A shot to the 'Eye Area' is base 0 , with (-8OCV ) = DCV 8

Shot to 'Eye Ball' is base 4, with ( -12 OCV ) = DCV 16

I think that should do..

2. Tack on a mandatory half phase for any called shot with an OCV penalty greater than 3

That'd bug them and Me too much, especially the Fencer Martial Artists with PSL's versus Hit location penalties

3. Tack on a mandatory full phase for any called shot with an OCV penalty greater than 6

Same........

4. Make a character placing a called shot with an OCV penalty greater than 3 at half DCV.

Same........

5. Attack the characters with a group of tiny critters and have them shoot their eyes out. How fun is that?

This I don't understand :doi: IF the Pigmy Hobbit Commandos Were to show up, that is probably the technique they would use, if it was the 'Legolas' analogue Pygmy Hobbit, and their 1 Pip Darts would end up doing 3 Body and 15 Stun if they go in an eyeball, blinding that eye. ( No Armour there, except for Mages with Force Field )

So yes The PCs will have to run from the dreaded Legolas the pygmy Hobbit :eg:

6. Disallow Hit locations. (many do. I only use them for flavor.)

Ah hit locations will be integral to this game, it uses sectional armour,

7. "Ah ha! You thought you were going to hit, but my elephant just did an eyelid Block!"

That's amazing! :eek:

If the Drivers appropriately Blinker their beast it won't suffer these wounds, but will be even more stupid, uncontrollable, and annoyed.

8. Elephant's got two eyes. He's gonna trample the pipsqueak who doinked his first eye. And maybe the second elephant in the bush is gonna get a piece of the action, too.

Yes, Yes, Always!! Muahaha! :eg:

9. Institue High and Low OCV/DCV caps.

Done! The caps 10 - 12

as in Base OCV From DEX + Skill levels never can be over 12. But this can be exceeded by using maneuvers like 'Brace'

10. Put an NCM on Skill lelvels (this is the system I use. It really cuts down on ridiculous CV's)

Hmm...

Keith "I got more..." Curtis

Thanks for the Ideas.......

I think with everyone's help I've got this sorted.

The Behemoths get no Stretching though, they just have no reach. They do have 12" Move, and usually carry a heavy Arbalest with crew on top