• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

If I recall' date=' the quote upon seeing Mimas for the first time was "We've found the Death Star."[/quote']

I could be wrong, but I thought I read in Science Digest magazine that someone said "Is that the engine?" But it's entirely possible that both quotes happened.

Yeah' date=' the first spacecraft images of Mimas, from Pioneer 11 in 1979, postdate the first Star Wars movie ... though not by that much.[/quote']

I could be wrong, but I believe Herschel Crater was first photographed by Voyager 1 sometime in early November of 1980. If you have a reference that attributes it to Pioneer 11, please post!

I could be wrong' date=' but I believe Herschel Crater was first photographed by Voyager 1 sometime in early November of 1980. If you have a reference that attributes it to Pioneer 11, please post![/quote']

Looking for those references has been a distinctly frustrating 20 minutes. The Pioneer data seem no longer to be available on-line, or even available separately at all. (Don't these people have any appreciation for first-epoch data archiving? :mad:)

The Pioneer encounter in late 1979 was only about a year prior to the Voyager one, which is why my memory is so fuzzy.

Looks like I'd have to go to a library and pore over dead-tree or microform versions of the old issues of Science to get an explicit, definitive answer. One more item for the stack of things to do.

EDIT: Finally found a place with the old Science articles are accessible. http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/reprint/207/4429/434.pdf, the original report of the Pioneer 11 imaging team, seems to say that Pioneer 11 didn't image Mimas at all. So looks like you're right.

I'm not sure where they are or why they're doing it, but it looks beautiful.

[ATTACH]25482[/ATTACH]

Oh hey, I know!

"Making UFO's" is what I learned it as. You take a large garbage bag, two 18"-24" sticks (laths, or balsa wood, is best), and 4 or 5 (or more, but not too many) birthday-cake candles. Attach the sticks to each other in a X shape, put the candles on, attach to the garbage bag. One guy holds the bag open and upright (opening down), another lights the candles. First guy waits for the bag to fill with hot air, then releases it. It floats off, lit up. Cool, and can freak the unsuspecting. :eg:

Though these guys are using some other source of light and heat, and seem to have something a bit bigger than garbage bags available. Still, same principle. :winkgrin::thumbup: