teen champions question

Wolf

hey herodom,

I'm getting the new Teen Champions next weekend (supposedly when it comes in) to run a champ's game with my GF as a solo thing. So several things:

1- Can someone write me some sort of a brief review, those who have it?

2- I've never really GM'd a supers game, I think I'll suck at it, I've done lots of Fantasy, Action, Modern stuff. I'm trying to read through the Champions genre book, but any additional help would be really cool.

3- I'm really nervous, I run a lot of the 4th ed, and had the Fred book, now the Re-Fred, however I never actually have run anything in either system... so this is not so much a bullet point, but just an admission of guilt... plus I've been out of the gaming loop for about a year... so it's been a while...

blink, blink. Thanks guys and gals.

-Woof

Re: teen champions question

1- I haven't read enough of it to really be able to comment on it. I like the information they give you about how teen characters intereact and all of the situations they might get into. I tend to have some differences of opinion as far as points costs for various genre characters. The Ravenswood material is very interesting to me but I enjoy reading about the Champions Universe. There are a lot of characters in the book, and that is a real plus to me. I'd buy the book just for the Ravenswood and characters alone, though I know most people would buy it for the genre information.

2- That's a really hard thing to say. Try to keep in mind as you play that what makes superhero characters interesting is their personalities and their interaction without the people around them. Read some good comic books to get a feel for the genre and then try to emulate them. How your character deals with his Aunt June is just as important as how he deals with Grond. Make the personal stories interesting and the battles fun [fun by using quotes and world ballons. Comics are very much about talking in character, moreso then fantasy or any other genre] and don't get too hung up on the rules. Try to emulate the awe of superpowers when possible.

3- My only advise here is KISS [Keep It Simple Stupid]. Don't start with complicated character builds. Make the first couple of games about role-playing so everyone can establish their characters and keep the combats in those few games simple: bank robbery, fire, accident. Then once everyone is feeling good about the system and characters throw them against some real badguys. By keeping it simple in the beginning you wean yourself into the game as much as you do the players.

Most important don't get hung up on rules. Champions is about using your imagination and allowing the players to have some fun with being superhuman. Don't make it a GM versus player game. Too many GM's like to defeat their players. The players are the heroes of the story so let them be that. Your job is to entertain and challenge, not defeat or belittle them.

I know that is all very basic. I hope it helps some.

I'll second what MitchellS said about keeping it simple. For example, suppose your girlfriend wants to play someone who's pretty strong and tough. You might go with just the basics like this:

STR 50

CON 25

STUN 50

PD 15

ED 15

Armor 10 PD / 10 ED (tough skin)

...and then some skills. (I don't know what point level of charcter you're shooting for).

This is a very basic build for an uncomplicated (mechanics-wise) low-level brick. Short, simple, to the point. Other stats (like Comlieness ;) ) can be adjusted to taste. If you think it's appropriate, a couple of Combat Skill Levels with Hand-to-Hand attacks.

Oh, and one other thing...don't be fooled by some of the example characters in the book. What I mean is this...Teen Champions characters are often supposed to be lower-powered than the "usual" Champions character, but some of the example characters are up in the 500+ point range. These characters are the school's equivalent to Superman (or, I guess, that should more properly be "Superboy") and a PC is not expected to be able to match this NPC in raw power. Just so you know. ;)

And good luck!

Actually, I've got an idea, and I'm going to call on the HERO forum community to help out! ;)

I'd like to see a number of sample PC characters put together as examples for Wolf, that he could also offer to his girlfriend as possible characters for her to take as her own. If she doesn't take them, then he's got some ready-made NPC classmates for her character!

So...whaddaya say? Can we help him out?

Assuming that Wolf is going to follow the Teen Champions guidelines for how the PCs should be built, here's the instructions for the sample characters you're going to help build:

100 Base + up to 100 in Disads

Characteristics up to 30 max

Speed up to 5 max

Total CV in the range of 4-8

Total DCV in the range of 4-10

Active points in any given power, max of 40 (or maybe up to 60, but rare if so)

Real points in any given power, max of 20 (in other words, most powers will have some hefty limitations or drawbacks)

Total points in skills: 30 max (unless the character is skill-based instead of powers-based)

Skill Rolls should be in the range of 8- to 12- (again, unless the character is skill-based)

Defenses should top out at 12 normal and 6 resistant.

And remember...keep the builds simple!!

So...any takers?

I'll go ahead and do a basic brick like I was talking about. I think a couple of basic energy projectors (fire, ice, electricty perhaps), a mentalist or telekinetic, and perhaps a skill-based type (science or martial arts) would be a good place to start.

Great teen based comics

Teen Titans - Geoff Johns's run has just come to an end and you can get the trades cheap.

Young Avengers - It shouldn't work! But I really like it.

Runaways - Absolutely fantastic and you can get the entire first volume in a HC. Children of a super villain group rebelling against their evil parents. Gotta love Brian K. Vaughan!

Chris:)

Here's a very basic teenaged female brick. I didn't give her a real name, or a super-hero name, because I'm sure that you (or your girlfriend, if she decides to use this character) can come up with something appropriate on your own. ;) Of course I had to take some liberties at defining the character's personality in order to come up with 100 points of disads, but those various Psych disads and such are easily swapped out for others.

Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes	
30	STR	20	15-	Lift 1600.0kg; 6d6; [3]	
15	DEX	15	12-	OCV 5 DCV 5	
20	CON	20	13-		
20	BODY	20	13-		
10	INT	 0	11-	PER Roll 11-	
12	EGO	 4	11-	ECV: 4	
15	PRE	 5	12-	PRE Attack: 3d6	
16	COM	 3	12-		

12	PD	 6		Total: 12 PD (6 rPD)	
12	ED	 8		Total: 12 ED (6 rED)	
4	SPD	15		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12	
15	REC	10			
50	END	 5			
50	STUN	 5	Total Characteristic Cost: 151	

Movement:	Running: 10" / 20"
	Swimming: 5" / 10"
	Leaping: 10"

Cost	Powers	
6	Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (6 PD/6 ED)	
10	Sturdy Physique: Energy Damage Reduction, 25%	
10	Sturdy Physique: Physical Damage Reduction, 25%	

Skills

5	+1 with HTH Combat

Everyman Skills (5th Edition)	
0	1)  AK: Home country or region 8-	
0	2)  Acting 8-	
3	3)  Climbing 12-	
0	4)  Concealment 8-	
0	5)  Conversation 8-	
0	6)  Deduction 8-	
0	7)  Native Language:  English (idiomatic; Literate)	
0	8)  PS: Choice (Everyman Skill) 11-	
0	9)  Paramedics 8-	
0	10) Persuasion 8-	
0	11) Shadowing 8-	
0	12) Stealth 8-	
0	13) TF: Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

5	Cramming 	
3	KS: Popular Music 12-	
2	KS: Popular Music Performers 11-	
1	Language:  French (basic conversation)	
1	Language:  Spanish (basic conversation)	
3	Teamwork 12-	

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 49
Total Cost: 200

100+	Disadvantages	
15	Distinctive Features:  Unusually tall (6' 5") and muscular for a teenaged girl (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)	
10	Hunted:  Parents 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)	
10	Hunted:  School Administration 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)	
5	Reputation:  A bit of a drama queen, likes to be in the spotlight, 8-	
10	Psychological Limitation:  Likes to be the center of attention (Common, Moderate)	
10	Psychological Limitation:  Show-off (Common, Moderate)	
5	Psychological Limitation:  Hates to be made to look stupid (Uncommon, Moderate)	
5	Psychological Limitation:  Has a crush on [fellow classmate] (Uncommon, Moderate)	
15	Social Limitation:  Legally a minor (Frequently, Major)	
10	Social Limitation:  Public ID (Frequently, Minor)	
5	Rivalry:  Professional (An NPC classmate), Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry	
0	Experience Points	

Total Disadvantage Points: 200

Here's a basic mentalist. She can read minds (telepathy) and make you feel like you have the hangover she once had (ego attack). Though she has no ability to alter people's minds (no mind control) she's somehow gotten the reputation of liking to do just that...perhaps because she tends to keep to herself and people are basically mistrustful of mentalists anyway. She's subject to frequent migraines, possibly because she hasn't learned to tune out other people's thoughts completey. She also takes some stun damage if she's subject to a sight-group flash attack because the dazzling light sends a flash of pain through her optic nerves and can set off one of her migraines.

Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes	
10	STR	 0	11-	Lift 100.0kg; 2d6; [1]	
12	DEX	 6	11-	OCV 4 DCV 4	
13	CON	 6	12-		
10	BODY	 0	11-		
14	INT	 4	12-	PER Roll 12-	
20	EGO	20	13-	ECV: 7	
12	PRE	 2	11-	PRE Attack: 2d6	
14	COM	 2	12-		

4/12	PD	 2		Total: 4/12 PD (0/8 rPD)	
5/13	ED	 2		Total: 5/13 ED (0/8 rED)	
5	SPD	28		Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12	
7	REC	 4			
36	END	 5			
32	STUN	10	Total Characteristic Cost: 91	

Movement:	Running: 6" / 12"
	Swimming: 2" / 4"
	Leaping: 2"

Cost	Powers	END	
19	Can't Touch This: FF (8 PD/8 ED/8 Power Defense); Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)	2	
10	Stubborn: Mental Defense (14 points total)	0	
20	You Can Run But You Can't Hide: Mind Scan 8d6; Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2)	4	
20	Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4), Visible (-1/4), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)		
2u	1)  Have a Hangover on Me: Ego Attack 5d6; Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4), Visible (-1/4), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)	5	
1u	2)  My Mind or Yours?: Telepathy 6d6; Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Subject To Range Modifier (-1/4), Visible (-1/4), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4)	3	

Talents	
20	Universal Translator 12-	

Skills

0	2)  Acting 8-	
0	3)  Climbing 8-	
0	4)  Concealment 8-	
3	5)  Conversation 11-	
0	6)  Deduction 8-	
1	8)  PS: Stage Magician (Everyman Skill) 11-	
0	9)  Paramedics 8-	
3	10) Persuasion 11-	
0	11) Shadowing 8-	
0	12) Stealth 8-	

3	KS: Famous magicians 12-	
1	Lipreading 8-	
3	Sleight Of Hand 11-	
3	Ventriloquism 12-	

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 109

100+	Disadvantages	

10	Hunted:  Parents 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)	
10	Hunted:  School Administration 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)	
 5	Psychological Limitation:  Doesn't like to be touched (Uncommon, Moderate)	
10	Physical Limitation:  Migrane headaches (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)	
10	Reputation:  Likes to tamper with people's thoughts, 11-	
10	Psychological Limitation:  Horrified by the idea of a person's will being influenced mentally (Uncommon, Strong)	
15	Psychological Limitation:  Wants desperately to be liked but is too shy to make friends easily (Very Common, Moderate)	
 5	Susceptibility:  When the target of a Sight-Group Flash attack, 1d6 damage Instant (Uncommon)	
 0	Experience Points	

Here's a basic ice-themed energy projector. The character is written up as a cheerleader who is very warm, friendly, and helpful with the ironic twist of having ice-based powers. Despite her sunny personality, she'll probably end up being named "Ice Queen".

Val	Char	Cost	Roll	Notes	
13	STR	 3	12-	Lift 151.6kg; 2 1/2d6; [1]	
14	DEX	12	12-	OCV 5 DCV 5	
13	CON	 6	12-		
10	BODY	 0	11-		
12	INT	 2	11-	PER Roll 11-	
13	EGO	 6	12-	ECV: 4	
16	PRE	 6	12-	PRE Attack: 3d6	
16	COM	 3	12-		

5/11	PD	 2		Total: 5/11 PD (0/6 rPD)	
4/10	ED	 1		Total: 4/10 ED (0/6 rED)	
4	SPD	16		Phases:  3, 6, 9, 12	
6	REC	 0			
40	END	 7			
32	STUN	 8	Total Characteristic Cost: 72	

Movement:	Running: 6"/12" / 12"/24"
	Swimming: 2" / 4"
	Leaping: 2 1/2"

Cost	Powers	END	
5	Thermographic Vision: IR Perception (Sight Group)	0	
2	Cool Under Pressure: LS  (Safe in Intense Cold)	0	
19	Welcome to the North Pole: Change Environment 8" radius, -4 Temperature Level Adjustment; Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)	6	
14	The Cold Shoulder: Armor (6 PD/6 ED); OIHID (-1/4)	0	
18	Ice Slides: Running +6" (6"/12" total), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2)		
14	Ice Wall: Entangle 2d6, 3 DEF (Larger Wall (+2")); Only To Form Barriers (-1)	3	
20	Arctic Blast: EB 6d6; Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)	6	

Talents	
3	Environmental Movement (no penalties on icy surfaces)	

Skills	

10	+2 with DCV	

3	2)  Acting 12-	
3	3)  Climbing 12-	
0	4)  Concealment 8-	
3	5)  Conversation 12-	
0	6)  Deduction 8-	
1	8)  PS: Cheerleader (Everyman Skill) 12-	
0	9)  Paramedics 8-	
0	10) Persuasion 8-	
0	11) Shadowing 8-	
0	12) Stealth 8-	

3	Acrobatics 12-	
3	Breakfall 12-	
3	Contortionist 12-	
2	KS: Cheerleading Routines & Songs 11-	
2	KS: Football 11-	

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 128

100+	Disadvantages	

10	Vulnerability:  1 1/2 x STUN Fire/Heat Attacks (Common)	
15	Psychological Limitation:  Always cheerful & outgoing, no matter the circumstances (Very Common, Moderate)	
10	Psychological Limitation:  Protective of underclassmen and "new kids" (Common, Moderate)	
10	Reputation:  Soft-hearted pushover, 11-	
5	Distinctive Features:  Calls out cheers and football plays during combat (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)	
5	Rivalry:  Professional (Leader of the clique of "in" people; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)	
0	Experience Points	

Great teen based comics

Teen Titans - Geoff Johns's run has just come to an end and you can get the trades cheap.

Runaways - Absolutely fantastic and you can get the entire first volume in a HC. Children of a super villain group rebelling against their evil parents. Gotta love Brian K. Vaughan!

Johns run didn't end, Liefeld's stint on Titans was just a fill in, that's all.

'Cuz Dr. Anomoly asked nicely. Here's a martial artist/energy projector. Little more complex than Dr.A's characters, but nothing to out there - one Linked Power and some Martial Arts. Plus a MultiPower for the EnergyBlaster portion.

She wants to be one of the Good Guys, but she's a bit of a trouble maker, mostly because she really just wants some attention. She's the happy friendly type, and really does want everyone to like her. but can't help but get in trouble with her antics, and is usually dubbed a trouble maker because of it.

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
8    STR     -2   8      11-       HTH Damage 1 1/2d6  END [1]
18    DEX     24   18      13-       OCV 6 DCV 6
10    CON     0   10      11-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
13    INT     3   13      12-       PER Roll 12-
12    EGO     4   12      11-       ECV: 4
10    PRE     0   10      11-       PRE Attack: 2d6
12    COM     1   12      11-
6    PD      0   6             6 PD (4 rPD)
6    ED      0   6             6 ED (4 rED)
3    SPD     2   3                 Phases:  4, 8, 12
4    REC     0   4
20    END     0   20
19    STUN    0   19
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
2    LEAP     0   1 1/2"/11 1/2"                1 1/2"/11 1/2" forward, 0 1/2"/5 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 32[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
40     [b][i]Soda-Pop Crush![/i][/b]: Multipower, 40-point reserve - END=
4u     1)  [b][i]"Do the Dew!" [Mt. Dew][/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points) - END=4
4u     2)  [b][i]"Quench Your Thirst" [sprite][/i][/b]: Energy Blast 5d6+1, Explosion (+1/2) (40 Active Points) - END=4
4u     3)  [b][i]"I'm A Pepper, You're A Pepper" [Dr. Pepper][/i][/b]: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (40 Active Points) - END=4
3u     4)  [b][i]"Twice The Caffeine!" [Jolt!][/i][/b]: Healing Body and STUN 2d6, Body and STUN simultaneously (+1/2) (30 Active Points) - END=3
4u     5)  [b][i]"It's OK." [OK Soda][/i][/b]: Ego Attack 4d6 (40 Active Points) - END=4
5     [b][i]"I fall asleep to the melodies of Hard Core Punk."[/i][/b]: Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points) - END=0
10     [b][i]"Wear protective gear when skating."[/i][/b]: Armor (4 PD/4 ED) (12 Active Points); IIF (elbow/knee pads; -1/4) - END=0
14     [b][i]Skate or Die![/i][/b]: Flight 10", x4 Noncombat (25 Active Points); OIF (skateboard; -1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) - END=2
8     [b][i]Back OFF! [skateboard smash][/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (22 Active Points); OAF (skateboard; -1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) - END=0
8     [b][i]Ollie![/i][/b]: Leaping +10" (1 1/2"/11 1/2" forward, 0 1/2"/5 1/2" upward) (Accurate) (15 Active Points); OIF (skateboard; -1/2), Linked (Skate or Die!; Lesser Instant Power can be used in any Phase in which greater Constant Power is in use; -1/4) - END=1

[b]POWERS Cost: 104[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Skater-Fu
5      1)  Hand Stand:  1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +3 DCV, Block, Abort
4      2)  180 Kick-Flip:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike
3      3)  Grind:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, -1 DCV, Weapon +1 DC Strike, Target Falls
5      4)  Air Spin:  1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +1 DCV, Weapon +4 DC Strike
4      5)  Ollie:  1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 21[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
2      AK: Home Town 11-
3      Acrobatics 13-
3      Breakfall 13-
3      Combat Skateboarding 13-
5      +1 with DCV
3      +1 with Skater-Fu
3      +1 with Soda-Pop Crush!
3      KS: Skateboards 12-
3      PS: Skateboarding 12-
6      +3 with Skateboard [flight]
3      Sleight Of Hand 13-
3      Stealth 13-
3      Streetwise 11-
0      TF:  Skateboarding

[b]SKILLS Cost: 43[/b]

[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Hunted:  Enemy of the Day 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)
5     Money:  "I work a crap delivery job..." Poor
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code vs Killing (Common, Total)
20     Psychological Limitation:  Need to prove herself (Very Common, Strong)
10     Reputation:  Smart ***, 11-
15     Social Limitation:  Teenager (15 yrs old) (Frequently, Major)
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 100[/b]

Base Pts: 100
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 200

Defenses should top out at 12 normal and 6 resistant.

6 resistant means that any bricks aren't going to be bullet-proof.

I would suggest that some characters might be allowed to increase the proportion of their defences that are resistant. It wouldn't be necessary to allow them to buy more than 18 DEF overall.

This would make it possible to build a character with, say, 13 rDEF and 5 normal. They will be no harder to stun, but are "bulletproof".

6 resistant means that any bricks aren't going to be bullet-proof.

I would suggest that some characters might be allowed to increase the proportion of their defences that are resistant. It wouldn't be necessary to allow them to buy more than 18 DEF overall.

This would make it possible to build a character with, say, 13 rDEF and 5 normal. They will be no harder to stun, but are "bulletproof".

(shrug) Those are just the guidelines suggested in the Teen Champions book itself, which Wolf is going to be picking up. That's why I suggested them. But they are, after all, only suggestions and guidelines, and the object of the "excercise" is to help Wolf out...and I imagine he'd do some tweaking to the characters anyway. ;)

Didn't read "all" of the posts yet, just wanted to see what's up... as I just got back from a gruling day at Disneyland (sp?) and a long bus ride home I'm blury- eyed and having breakfast made for me by a more and more Irate (sp?) girlfriend... so from my skimming: YOU GUYS ROCK, Thanks... really, I'll get back to you tonight/ tomarrow, I really appriciate the help.

-Woof

Great teen based comics

Academy X would also work great for a teen setting example. The book has made me want to run a teen supers game.

'Cuz Dr. Anomoly asked nicely. Here's a martial artist/energy projector. Little more complex than Dr.A's characters, but nothing to out there - one Linked Power and some Martial Arts. Plus a MultiPower for the EnergyBlaster portion.

She wants to be one of the Good Guys, but she's a bit of a trouble maker, mostly because she really just wants some attention. She's the happy friendly type, and really does want everyone to like her. but can't help but get in trouble with her antics, and is usually dubbed a trouble maker because of it.

replying to myself always seems weird...

Anyway, what I stripped from this character was the Super Name I came up with for her: Soda-Pop Crush!

Hence all the Soda refrences in her Multipower. I took out the name to make it a little more generic for this thread. Just thought I'd share because, IMNHO, that's a darn cool name for a teen-champ. :cool:

replying to myself always seems weird...

Anyway, what I stripped from this character was the Super Name I came up with for her: Soda-Pop Crush!

Hence all the Soda refrences in her Multipower. I took out the name to make it a little more generic for this thread. Just thought I'd share because, IMNHO, that's a darn cool name for a teen-champ. :cool:

Cool, I'll probably use her as an enemy, I think she's a pretty kewl line of thought. Thanks again.

-woof

If you need it' date=' I've got 250 and 350 point versions of her as well. She was built for an abruptly aborted Teen Champs game and never played.[/quote']

Shure, if you feel so inclined.

otherwise, Fuzzy-T wanted to thank you all so she set up her own account and went to it... as of lately she's fixated on disney's new VMK sim's type program.

-woof.