Liefeld's Titans

hooligan x

Re: Liefeld's Titans

Oh don't even get me started on Mr Pompus *** McFarlane.

McFarlane got his start doing covers for Batman: Year Two. Then got a gig on Infinty Inc. just prior to the Crisis-saga

Some really good work. But Toddy got all full of himself when he got the gig on the Incredible Hulk, working with Peter David. The writing on that book was incredible and McFarlane started taking ALL of the success.

When he got to do the new Spiderman series I though hmmmm maybe it will be okay. But it was craptastic. And the fanboys ate it up.

When McFarlane defaulted on his Marvel Contract to move to Image I wasn't surprised.

I had a friend who got a job working for McFarlane's studio. Basically to do inking and some filler art. Well Todd got behind on an issue of Spawn (go figure) and sent the breakdowns to my friend to "finish pencilling and inking".

My friend had less than 2 weeks to get the entire book done. He busted his ***, got the work done and it was incredible. So good that it won an award that year for best issue in a series. Everyone bought one, everyone heard about it...you know the Spawn gets mistaken for Santa Claus.

Inside art credit? Todd McFarlane.

Studis artists are great thing don't get me wrong. But credit where credit is due.

Man I could on for days about the Rise and Fall of all that was comic goodness, brought to you by Mr Pompus and The Bad Man.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I am...doo, doo, doo...look at me...doo, doo, doo. Nice sig quote Paragonalpha.

I want all of you Haters to fess up. Who bought X-Force whatever the heck # it was or Youngblood #1?

Not I.

Erik Larsen-cuts his teeth at DC, does Savage Dragon regularly and steadily (not my cup of tea but props to the man.) Liefeld, Infantino, Silvestri, Portacio, etc-cut their teeth at Marvel, can't hit a release schedule to save their life, totally dependent on "look, we swear we aren't actually Mutants" flavor-of-the-month books.

Coincidence, I think not.

Coincidence. Plenty of great writers and artists come from Marvel. Plenty of great writers and artists come from DC.

Oh don't even get me started on Mr Pompus *** McFarlane.

McFarlane got his start doing covers for Batman: Year Two. Then got a gig on Infinty Inc. just prior to the Crisis-saga

I don't remember exactly what year Batman Year Two came out in, but every source I can find says 1990. I can understand you have issues with McFarlane, but that point still stands that in 1984 his 'big break' came from Marvel. Regardless, he's known as a Marvel artist moreso than a DC artist.

Some really good work. But Toddy got all full of himself when he got the gig on the Incredible Hulk, working with Peter David. The writing on that book was incredible and McFarlane started taking ALL of the success.

When he got to do the new Spiderman series I though hmmmm maybe it will be okay. But it was craptastic. And the fanboys ate it up.

When McFarlane defaulted on his Marvel Contract to move to Image I wasn't surprised.

It's ok, I'm jealous of Todd too.

I'm by no means saying the guy can do no wrong, just saying that he's a very hard working artist. And he could get a book out on time. And he's 'from Marvel' as opposed to being from DC.

I had a friend who got a job working for McFarlane's studio. Basically to do inking and some filler art. Well Todd got behind on an issue of Spawn (go figure) and sent the breakdowns to my friend to "finish pencilling and inking".

My friend had less than 2 weeks to get the entire book done. He busted his ***, got the work done and it was incredible. So good that it won an award that year for best issue in a series. Everyone bought one, everyone heard about it...you know the Spawn gets mistaken for Santa Claus.

Inside art credit? Todd McFarlane.

Studis artists are great thing don't get me wrong. But credit where credit is due.

Man I could on for days about the Rise and Fall of all that was comic goodness, brought to you by Mr Pompus and The Bad Man.

Well there's no doubt people do things like that, and none of us are angels. I know I've pushed work onto underlings when the deadlines got tough. I think the majority of us would do the same. Does that make it right that your friend didn't get proper credit? No, of course it doesn't.

His break finally came when Todd accepted an offer from Marvel/Epic Comics in March 1984' date=' pencilling "Scorpio Rose," an 11-page backup story in the comic book Coyote.[/quote']I have Scoprio Rose Issues 1 & 2 somewhere. I barely even remembered the character until you said the name.

Here I am...doo, doo, doo...look at me...doo, doo, doo. Nice sig quote Paragonalpha.

I want all of you Haters to fess up. Who bought X-Force whatever the heck # it was or Youngblood #1? I have both, but they came from the quarter bin because I wanted to see if they were as bad as I remembered. They were worse.

Erik Larsen-cuts his teeth at DC, does Savage Dragon regularly and steadily (not my cup of tea but props to the man.) Liefeld, Infantino, Silvestri, Portacio, etc-cut their teeth at Marvel, can't hit a release schedule to save their life, totally dependent on "look, we swear we aren't actually Mutants" flavor-of-the-month books.

Coincidence, I think not.

Did you see the horror that was Larson's run on Spiderman? I think not.

I don't remember exactly what year Batman Year Two came out in' date=' but every source I can find says 1990. I can understand you have issues with McFarlane, but that point still stands that in [b']1984[/b] his 'big break' came from Marvel. Regardless, he's known as a Marvel artist moreso than a DC artist.

It's ok, I'm jealous of Todd too.

I'm by no means saying the guy can do no wrong, just saying that he's a very hard working artist. And he could get a book out on time. And he's 'from Marvel' as opposed to being from DC.

Well there's no doubt people do things like that, and none of us are angels. I know I've pushed work onto underlings when the deadlines got tough. I think the majority of us would do the same. Does that make it right that your friend didn't get proper credit? No, of course it doesn't.

And Todd, suck on a stick too. And he's a prick from all I've heard. But that's just hearsay and my opinion.

While we are talking about sucktacular art, let me tell you about Ron Frenz. Man that dude's run on Thor was like a year long dental appointment, I was working at a comic shop and two guys asked me what I thought about Frenz's art. I said it was crappy and derivtive. One of them started laughing and the other said "Don't you think it's an homage to Kirby?"

I said "Homage is French for rip-off."

This guy's buddy was cracking up. Mr. Homage went to the counter to buy his stuff and paid with a credit card.

Issued to a Mr. Rn Frenz.

Ooops.

I also tailed Michael Golden for an hour because I thought he was a shoplifter. He was a very cool guy and he signed my Micronauts annual.

Mike Zeck was the best celeb customer you could ever want. He would pick up his file and bullshoot for an hour or so. Once, I asked him when he was gonna get a 501 jeans commercial and he roled his eyes and said "If you can't say something nice..."

I wish I still had that Captain America poster he did. It got torn in a move at some point. Dag.

I also tailed Michael Golden for an hour because I thought he was a shoplifter. He was a very cool guy and he signed my Micronauts annual.

Met Michael Golden at a con probably 20 years ago. He did a panel and, frankly, seemed pretty darn full of himself.

But I do like the guy's art.

Rob Liefeld, Go! (To the Tune of Teen Titans, Go!)

When you want bad art you know who to call, Rob Liefeld

Heads turned backards, which way do they go? Rob Liefeld

Grimacing like they've got hemmeroids

Breasts like pumpkins, even on boys

Teeth in the thousands, these guys really bite!

Rob Liefeld, Go!

(Anyone care to take verse 2?)

So this weekend when I was enptying out my comic box at the local comic book store I talked to the owner and mentioned Teen Titans and Liefeld and we had a few good laughs at Liefelds drawing ability. He told me about the one time he met Liefeld back in the early 90s when the guy basically picked up $600 in merchandice and told the guy "I'll give you 60 for it all" and proceded to try to get the guys banned when they wouldn't hand over the merchandice for 90% off.

Did you see the horror that was Larson's run on Spiderman? I think not.

I have had a long-standing love affair with The Doom Patrol. I still have mental scars from when Larson took over from Lightle on the Karma/Lodestone reboot. Then Grant Morrison and Richard Case arrived, and my patience was rewarded.

No I avoided that Spidertravesty like the plague. Not my cup of tea.

I think this is interesting, and it not only inlcudes Liefeld's history, accusations, etc., but also an artistic criticism: http://www.answers.com/topic/rob-liefeld

My apology to Hermit; It *does* include that horrible Cap picture.

"Trivia

...Liefeld marketed the action figure of Youngblood's archer character, Shaft, as "Rob Liefeld's Shaft: 7 Inches, fully poseable," an unintentional double entendre."

Simply marvelous... :lol:

I'm really trying to figure out how someone who is as crappy an artist as Liefeld is could get in the door of Marvel or DC in the first place. I'm sure there were dozens of artists far more talented submitting their work.

I think it's because when you first glance at it or see it out of the corner of your eye your brain flashes "...Art Adams?" It is only after you look at it square on and see the twisted masses of flesh that he has actually drawn that your brain says "Nope. Just some ******* who thinks he's Art Adams."

Back in the Megaton days, I enjoyed Larson's work, I liked his alien and that's where Dragon got his start. Then he followed Todd MacFarlane on Spiderman and seemingly wanted to parody MacFarlane and has been doing it ever since. I kind of like his stories and savage dragon is pretty cool as long as he doesn't draw it.