Liefeld's Titans

hooligan x

Re: Liefeld's Titans

KA, you stole my idea on what should be done to Liefeld. But I will let it go. In fact if I achieve god-like power before you do, I'll even let you throw the switch, Ok?;)

And I admit my artistic ability sucks too. But then I dont get paid for it. Course I had a friend in high school, who liked to draw. And well it was better than Liefeld's stuff. :(

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I've decided to announce my new project here. I'm doing a 3 part adaptation of the Lord of the Rings. I'll have to compress a lot to fit the story in, especially since I've decided to do it all in splash panels.

I think everyone will finally see the classic the way it was meant to be seen. Man-boobs on Aragorn! Wangs on Eowyn! It'll be great!

Well, naturally. It's mine.

I'll repeat;

Your title "Incompetent Normal" says it all.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I finally picked up my small comics collection and eagerly read the new Teen Titans comic... since it's become one of my favorite series, and... ugh. I don't mind Liefeld as much as some of the other posters here, but I have to echo Zeropoint's statement about how none of the pages in the issue seemed related to anything else in the comic. On more than one occasion, I actually turned back to check that I didn't accidentally miss a page or two. Not sure who is to blame here, Liefeld or Simone, but the entire issue was choppy to the point of being almost incomprehesible.

Also, aside from Liefeld's stylistic touches (huge thighs, tiny mouths and eyes, enormous amounts of hair), I felt some of the characters were protrayed very poorly. Tim Drake, at least when I've seen him, has been fairly small and even thin, nothing like the muscle-bound hulk he looks like in TT27. Liefeld really made an effort to make Raven look like her old self, especially in her "secret ID," but Cyborg was a complete miss. Not only did he look like he was dressed as Cable for Halloween, but his dialog was all off:

"Kid, no one wants to hurt you. But you threaten us again and we'll find a new place to put those grenades of yours."

That doesn't sound like the Cyborg I know. And:

"That skinny girl's in love with gutterballs, I swear. It hurts to look..."

Huh? I can't see Cyborg refering to any of his teammates as "that skinny girl," least of all someone he has fought alongside for years.

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this "kinetic" storytelling, but I was disappointed in Teen Titans #27 for a lot of reasons, Liefield's artwork only being a part of it.

Robb

• 3 weeks later...

[Professor]Good news everyone[/Professor]

The second part of the story came out. Why is this good news? Because now Liefeld's run on the Titans is done. I was disappointed by Simone's story, I like her writing in Birds of Prey, but the Titans story seems like it was thrown together to fill two issues. It was something I might do if I had zero other ideas and had to throw a game together for an evening. Hopefully the return to the regular writers/artist has the Titans wake up from a badly drawn dream.

Well, it is indeed out. On my page by page readalong for #27, I said "See ya in 60". This was supposed to imply that I would skip #28. Of course, #28 was so packed full of Leifeldy goodness that is was more than a month late, f-ing up the fall crossover continuity.

My comic shop has a metric f-ton of issue 27 left and I asked if he had ordered heavier because of RL and gotten burned. He said he ordered his usual amount and most file customers put it back on the shelf. I believe late books are returnable, so he may luck out on 28.

[Professor]Good news everyone[/Professor]

The second part of the story came out. Why is this good news? Because now Liefeld's run on the Titans is done. I was disappointed by Simone's story, I like her writing in Birds of Prey, but the Titans story seems like it was thrown together to fill two issues.

IMHO I liked the second half more then the first. I did dislike the way Liefield drew Raven though. Most of the issues have shown her to still be a "baby faced" girl and he was apeing her straight from Perez's run, long thin face and all. I like the Titans (still wish it was YJ but oh well) but can only give it 2 1/2 starts

Whoo hoo kiddies! Time again to READ ALONG WITH GAIL AND ROBBIE!

Grab your copy of issue 28 and let’s go!

Pg1. Robin stands and ponders why his forearms are so short.

Hey, is the team standing on a giant baked potato? Chaos is wacky!

Pg2. Another thing Rob has never seen: a woman’s lips.

Pg3. Things can’t be too bad if Tim has time to change his belt buckle.

Hawk: “Urrrg! My pointy fingers are useless for wiping!”

Vic: “My lips and nostrils can’t decide who is tinier so they keep switching sizes! And something smells stinky again!”

Pg4. Hey, the Chaos realm is a cheap Van Gogh print! Let’s get that one-eared f***er!

The Titans Tower looks good. Robbie must have found his ruler.

Pg5. Finally, an ad! Man, I gotta go see that Wallace and Grommet flick. And buy some gum. Wow, what an efficient advertisement!

Pg6. Man, Chaos makes your hips weird! But Kestrel likes it! That’s one many-teethed happy smiling dude!

Pg7. DICE DNA Integrated Cybernetic Enterprises? Can you anagram an anagram? This game looks dumber than rolling a ball around Tokyo to make stars.

Pg8. Them wacky Chaos mirrors make your ears invisible!

Look kids! Backgrounds!

Pg9. Next week, on the Y Files…

Pg10.Pirates and Pith helmets? I am sold!

Pg11. Vic’s thighs keep poking through the cyber legs. That’s gotta be cold.

Vic: “Let me switch to cyber-thermos! Who wants coffee?”

The only page where everyone doesn’t look like they smell something stinky and Gail has to put in a line about how it’s stinky!

Pg12. Soooooo Gar’s biggest fear is being a tall, poorly drawn, fat guy?

Mmmmmm Misery juice. Let’s all stop and let that sink in.

MISERY JUICE? ARE YOU ****ING JOKING? Why not call it “Cruel-Aid”?

Heeeeeyyy, Cruel-Aid! Ohhh YEAH!

Pg13. Big League Chew. Brought to you by the makers of CrackRockies and Ciggaradicals!

Pg14. KILIWOG!!! Sorry, no Gnort.

Pg15.Henceforth, ”FORLORDKESTRELI’LLBURSTTHEMLIKE MELONS!” will be my battlecry.

WTF happened to Vic’s arm?!! No, seriously. It’s like a glowing silver Baskin-Robins taster spoon!

Pg16. Hey, if Cassie can have man-junk, Bart can have girl’s glowing globes.

For a Chaos Realm, they sure do gots some regularly shaped rocks. There like Vicks Menthol cough drops carved out of poo.

Ahhh, run, it’s a green Wampa!

Pg17. Pull my finger NOW, toughguy!

Pg18. It’s a final showdown! Big teeth vs tiny teeth!

Hey, it’s a guy who looks absolutely nothing like Mr Drake!

Pg19. Oh, no. My bad. Tim and his dad have the same nose. ..

(wait for it…)

As every other character Leifeld has ever drawn.

They MUST be related.

Pg20. Once again, witness the Cossack Dance of Doom!

Hey, our cheap Van Gogh print is now a cheap Surrat print!

Pg21. Does Yu-Gi-Oh! Really need the exclamation point? Does anyone reall pronounce it with that much vigor?

Pg22. “Lopsided boobies, attack!”

Pg.23. Yu-Gi-Oh.

See, just as good with out the exclamation point.

Pg24. Kestrel: “Now I will crush one of your many belt buckles under my heel!”

Dude, your Cruel-Aid is jumping around like Jurassic Park…

Did Tim just say “posse”? Maybe if a more punctual penciler drew this book, “posse” would still be current slang. Wait, no it wouldn’t.

Pg25. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! “You bet Jurassic”! You kill me, Gadzookie.

OK, do these chaos birds have four ribbons or six? Or is that part of the chaos?

Pg26.Daft eejit? Just where is this broad from? Is it London, Manchester, Dublin, or Guam?

Ow, Cassie got Gene Colaned!

Pg27. I’m waiting for the 7 Magnificent cartoon.

Pg28. More pirates! This game is rated…….

(Wait for it……)

T for Teen.

Gotcha!

Pg29. Wait, wow did he catch Bart? It looks like Bart just put his neck in Kestrel’s hand like he was Private Pyle and Kestrel was R Lee Ermey

Pow! Take that. Nerve cluster!

Good thing Kestrel never saw Serenity!

Pg30. Kestrel: “You were like a daughter to me! A daughter I’ve only known for three hours and have spent much of that time threatening to kill! Why?”

Pg31. All: “So the battle’s done

And we kinda won

So we sound our victory cheer….”

Pg32&33. Can you have a Marvel ad in a DC book? My brain hurts now.

Pg34. Cory wasn’t even in this fight and she still got her ribcage messed up!

Pg35. Raven’s hair is longer…shorter…longer…longer…

Well, that was worth waiting two and a half months for, huh kiddies? If DC hires Leifeld to draw more books, I hope they give him enough time to do it. Or maybe they can just publish the crap I doodled on the back of my 7th grade geography notebook, It’s ready to go now.

Pg21. Does Yu-Gi-Oh! Really need the exclamation point? Does anyone reall pronounce it with that much vigor?

Just the guy who does the vocals for the Yu-Gi-Oh! theme song.

Have you ever watched that show, BTW? It's a trip. For a bunch of people who've dedicated their lives to playing a card game, they're sure surprised whenever someone actually, you know, reads his cards and builds a deck based on what they do.

Have you ever watched that show' date=' BTW? It's a trip. For a bunch of people who've dedicated their lives to playing a card game, they're sure surprised whenever someone actually, you know, reads his cards and builds a deck based on what they do.[/quote']

I'm just astounded they made a hit show that's basically characters standing around talking game mechanics. Apparently kids don't care about action, as long as there's dramatic music and dramatic camera angles and dramatic slow pans and dramatically whizzing backgrounds. Weird.

Guest bblackmoor

I'm just astounded they made a hit show that's basically characters standing around talking game mechanics. Apparently kids don't care about action' date=' as long as there's dramatic music and dramatic camera angles and dramatic slow pans and dramatically whizzing backgrounds. Weird.[/quote']

There's another one where the characters are all basically playing Everquest. It makes about as much sense.

Wednesday, at the comic shop I work at a young man (just turned 12 I believe) had started reading the teen titans about 5 issues ago, because he like the TV show, and likes the comic better (good taste there). It's his first comic book.

So I've got the comics spread out on the counter getting ready to file the special orders, and he comes in and exclaims "hey the Titans, it's been too long" picks up the issue, looks at the cover and says "Hey, when are they gonna get rid of this crappy artist, I haven't even read the last issue it was so bad". When I told him this was last issue he cheered.

This youngster will grow up to a man with good taste and discernment - his first comic, and he already thinks Liefeld is Crap.

Wednesday, at the comic shop I work at a young man (just turned 12 I believe) had started reading the teen titans about 5 issues ago, because he like the TV show, and likes the comic better (good taste there). It's his first comic book.

So I've got the comics spread out on the counter getting ready to file the special orders, and he comes in and exclaims "hey the Titans, it's been too long" picks up the issue, looks at the cover and says "Hey, when are they gonna get rid of this crappy artist, I haven't even read the last issue it was so bad". When I told him this was last issue he cheered.

This youngster will grow up to a man with good taste and discernment - his first comic, and he already thinks Liefeld is Crap.

I hope you made sure to have him tell all his friends. :D

OK, I know that people get kinda obsessed with their opinion of artist for comic books. I can deal with that. Just like I can deal with various artists styles.

Regardless if you love/hate a guys style, really doesn't give you the right to trash the guy. Honestly how many of you trashing Rob, can say you draw better?

Not ragging on anyone or trying to be a fanboy, but give the man credit where its due. He makes a living drawing comics, someone thinks he is good.

-Bluefire

"I'm getting to old for this...."

OK, I know that people get kinda obsessed with their opinion of artist for comic books. I can deal with that. Just like I can deal with various artists styles.

Regardless if you love/hate a guys style, really doesn't give you the right to trash the guy. Honestly how many of you trashing Rob, can say you draw better?

Not ragging on anyone or trying to be a fanboy, but give the man credit where its due. He makes a living drawing comics, someone thinks he is good.

Why? The quote from Galaxy Quest sums it up: "It doesn't take a good actor to recognize a bad one." And as the consumer, the person who will ultimately buy the end product, we, as a whole, have the right to express our opinion. Be it of an artist, writer, director, actor, or what have you. Because if we feel the material we are supposed to spend our money on isn't worth it, then we have the right to say so. As for Liefeld, he has repeatedly shown a lack of talent to go along with his over-inflated sense of self worth. The man simply is not as good as he thinks he is, or as the comics companies think we think he is. The end result is he turns more people off than he attracts (or so I hope).

Guest bblackmoor

As for Liefeld' date=' he has repeatedly shown a lack of of talent to go along with his over-inflated sense of self worth. The man simply is not as good as he thinks he is, or as the comics companies think we think he is. The end result is he turns more people off than he attracts (or so I hope).[/quote']

I have no idea what he thinks of himself. I assume that he actually does try to draw well, or at least that he tries to be true to his own style, whatever he thinks that is. So on the subject of "how good he thinks he is", I have no opinion.

I also don't know if he turns people off more than he turns people on. Art is such a personal thing. One person's Brom is another's Nagle.

Me, I think Liefeld's art is atrocious. But I hope that he enjoys his works and that he values the opportunities he's been given.

I have no idea what he thinks of himself. I assume that he actually does try to draw well' date=' or at least that he tries to be true to his own style, whatever he thinks that is. So on the subject of "how good he thinks he is", I have no opinion.[/quote']

IIRC, correctly, he has bragged about never attending any sort of art school/college.

I also don't know if he turns people off more than he turns people on. Art is such a personal thing. One person's Brom is another's Nagle.

Based on this thread and a few others like it (as well as comments on the net), he is no longer thought to be all that great of an artist.

Me, I think Liefeld's art is atrocious. But I hope that he enjoys his works and that he values the opportunities he's been given.

As do I. As to enjoyment? I certainly can believe he enjoys his job and his projects, but as an artist, he holds no interest to me.

IIRC' date=' correctly, he has bragged about never attending any sort of art school/college.[/quote']

I'd heard that, and one time when watching the special edition of The Crow DVD there is an interview with O'Barr. And when he talks about studying anatomy and realism so that when he does comics that are exaggerated, he knows what the real thing should look like. Then he commented about artists that have never studied art or anatomy, and all they know was comic books, and when they exaggerate an already exaggerated body style you get something that is just bad art.

I always felt that was a dig at Liefeld. :)

Regardless if you love/hate a guys style' date=' really doesn't give you the right to trash the guy.[/quote']

I bought that right. For two dollars and fifty cents an issue.

Honestly how many of you trashing Rob' date=' can say you draw better?[/quote']

I don't need to draw better than Liefeld to expect a quality product for my money. I don't need to be a better mechanic than the guy who works on my car to expect my brakes to work.

I am probably a better bouncer than Liefeld, but if he saw me let a seventeen year old into my bar, he has the right to criticize my work.

Not ragging on anyone or trying to be a fanboy' date=' but give the man credit where its due. He makes a living drawing comics, someone thinks he is good.[/quote']

It puzzles me how he does make a living. Besides his crappy anatomy and obvious plagerism, he can't turn in his work on time. He couldn't make deadline on two consecutive fill-in issues! The fill-ins were so late that the regular creative team's work is bottlenecked in publication. Issue 29 should have been out by now and #30 out in a week or so.

That the big two publishers keep giving him a chance is baffling.

IIRC' date=' correctly, he has bragged about never attending any sort of art school/college.[/quote']

YDRC, Susano. Rob bragged about not attending art school in Spike Lee's Levis 501 jeans ad.

OK' date=' I know that people get kinda obsessed with their opinion of artist for comic books. I can deal with that. Just like I can deal with various artists styles.[/quote']

I like a number of different artists' styles. I can also decide what I think is good art, of a different style, and what is crap. Liefeld's art is crap, not stylistic.

I'm pretty sure that if I took my time, I could draw 10 times better; but that's beside the point. I'm not an actor, but I can tell when I'm seeing a lousy performance. Same with Liefeld's art. I'm not a professional artist, but I know it when I'm seeing lousy artwork.

Yeah, but there are lot's of people getting paid for things they're lousy at. Look at "The Simple Life". Two people starring on a TV show when they have absolutely no talent, whatsoever.

It puzzles me how he does make a living. Besides his crappy anatomy and obvious plagerism' date=' he can't turn in his work on time. He couldn't make deadline on [b']two[/b] consecutive fill-in issues! The fill-ins were so late that the regular creative team's work is bottlenecked in publication. Issue 29 should have been out by now and #30 out in a week or so.

That the big two publishers keep giving him a chance is baffling.

The Big Two always seem to have a few books horrendously behind schedule, for the past several years. Maybe "get the whole mini in the can before you even SOLICIT it when certain creators are involved" would be a good rule for them to adopt.

But the bottom line is that someone out there is buying Liefeld's work - otherwise it wouldn't sell, and the publishers are pretty quick to ditch any product that doesn't sell.