1/2 Dice and Stun Multiplier Dice

kjamma4

I recently played HERO for the first time at GenCon. In the game I played in, the GM and the two experienced players had their own HERO dice.

I picked up the revised edition recently and also picked up a set of the dice as well. One thing that kind of frustrated me was rolling 1/2 dice and the stun multiplier dice*** in that you rolled your regular dice, then if you had a 1/2 die, you rolled that (with the attendant calculation) and then the stun multiplier (with the attendant calculation).

Has anyone modified dice to allow one roll for everything? There are a couple of ways you could do this.

1/2 die - I have a six sided die that is numbered 1-3 twice. You could drill small holes in both 3s and one of the 2s to simulate the body done (much like the official HERO dice).

Stun multiplier die - paint in five of the pips on the six side to make a second one (or paint in all six and drill a hole in the center to make the second one). Alternately, there are some dice out there that have a picture or symbol for the six instead of pips or a number. You could simply use this result as a secondary "one" result. Both of these methods result in a die that has the following sides: 1,1,2,3,4,5 which eliminates any calculation for the stun multiplier.

An alternative to either of the die types is to use blank d6s and simply make your own stickers to affix to them.

***I fully realize that this is not such a big deal and the calculations involved are not really that math intensive. Most people probably would say, "Why bother?" This is just thrown out as a possible alternative.

Re: 1/2 Dice and Stun Multiplier Dice

We generally just use a different color die for the half-die and stun modifier roll. So if you have a 21/2d6 RKA we roll 2 green dice for the whole numbers, a red die for the 1/2 and a blue die for the stun. It's all rolled at the same time and calculated at the same time.

I know several companies make half-die die. If you look around your FLGS you can probably find some there.

You can go to a site like this one... http://www.eaieducation.com/530178.html ... and buy some blank dice that come with stickers, and make the dice however you please. You could make a STUN multiplier die that actually has "STUN x1," "STUN x2" and so on, and make a half-die with "3 STUN +1 BODY" on one side. How cool is that? :cool:

You can go to a site like this one... http://www.eaieducation.com/530178.html ... and buy some blank dice that come with stickers' date=' and make the dice however you please. You could make a STUN multiplier die that actually has "STUN x1," "STUN x2" and so on, and make a half-die with "3 STUN +1 BODY" on one side. How cool is that? :cool:[/quote']

Yeah, but then I don't get to use my Dremel tool.:thumbdown

1 and 2 is one

3 and 4 is two

5 and 6 is three

I fully realize that this is not such a big deal and the calculations involved are not really that math intensive.

I understand how to do it. I just thought it would be kinda cool to have dice that ALREADY had the calculations done. (apparently I'm the only one:confused: )

Hmmm. If both STUN and BODY were recorded on the dice, there's no real reason why 6 has to = 2 BODY every time. So long as each six sider had one smooth, one double drilled and four single drilled sides, there needn't necessarily be a correlation between STUN and BODY. The blow that does the most dmage is not necessarily the most painful blow...

I understand how to do it. I just thought it would be kinda cool to have dice that ALREADY had the calculations done. (apparently I'm the only one:confused: )

No, I already own a half die (a cube with 1,1,2,2,3,3, just as you described) and have a custom Stun multiplier (0,1,2,3,4,5, to reflect a house rule that it is possible to do full BODY with a KA and the recipient never felt a thing). Had to buy a 'make your own die' kit for the stun multiplier, unfortunately those I've found premade with a picture or symbol had that instead of the One rather than instead of the Six.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised you found Hero dice' date=' they've been out of stock for a long time, nice.[/quote']

I first picked up a set of six that were in a little plastic zip-loc bag. Since your post, I noticed that they had five more loose with the regular dice. Picked those up too!

I did do a modification on the six-sided d3 I had. I drilled a small hole in both 3s and one of the 2s to represent BODY damage. Came out pretty good. The die is smaller than the HERO dice so it works cool for a 1/2d6

I tried two mods to get a STUN die. I took a regular d6 that was black with white pips. I colored in the pips on the 6 whit a black sharpie, drilled a single hole in the middle, and filled in that pip with white out. Doesn't look too bad from far away but I wasn't really pleased with it (especially since you would have to be told that it is a STUN die and that you did not have to subtract one from the number rolled.)

I also took a blank d6 and using the black sharpie, wrote "STUN x1", "STUN x2", etc. It was obvious from looking at it what the die was used for but the handwritten words looked kinda lame. Also, despite the claim to the contrary, the writing from the sharpie was not permanent.

I think I am going to try stickers with laser printing.

Precalculated effect rolls for Killing Attacks with a single die roll?

No problem!

Roll your attack dice (if you have a half die, just roll an odd color die and divice by 2, or get one of the spiffy 1/2dies), then multiply the result by 3 for the STUN. Done.

Who needs that STUNx thing anyway if you're not using the Hit Location chart?

Precalculated effect rolls for Killing Attacks with a single die roll?

No problem!

Roll your attack dice (if you have a half die, just roll an odd color die and divice by 2, or get one of the spiffy 1/2dies), then multiply the result by 3 for the STUN. Done.

Who needs that STUNx thing anyway if you're not using the Hit Location chart?

[WHINE]But 3's too high![/WHINE] :)

I first picked up a set of six that were in a little plastic zip-loc bag. Since your post, I noticed that they had five more loose with the regular dice. Picked those up too!

I did do a modification on the six-sided d3 I had. I drilled a small hole in both 3s and one of the 2s to represent BODY damage. Came out pretty good. The die is smaller than the HERO dice so it works cool for a 1/2d6

I tried two mods to get a STUN die. I took a regular d6 that was black with white pips. I colored in the pips on the 6 whit a black sharpie, drilled a single hole in the middle, and filled in that pip with white out. Doesn't look too bad from far away but I wasn't really pleased with it (especially since you would have to be told that it is a STUN die and that you did not have to subtract one from the number rolled.)

I also took a blank d6 and using the black sharpie, wrote "STUN x1", "STUN x2", etc. It was obvious from looking at it what the die was used for but the handwritten words looked kinda lame. Also, despite the claim to the contrary, the writing from the sharpie was not permanent.

I think I am going to try stickers with laser printing.

Hats off to you for all that!

[ESCALATE WHINING]No' date=' 3's too boring![/ESCALATE WHINING']

[FLAMES]And anyone doing that isn't playing the right way![/FLAMES]

:D

[ARROGANCE]Right or wrong, the OK Corral gunfight only takes half an hour to play out instead of two or more hours.[/ARROGANCE]

and

[sNOBISH]My players like it.[/sNOBISH]

So there :P

:D