Always On Limitation: I need a Variant

Darkhope

Most Adjustment powers when turned on give a return of 5 active points per turn. What I need is that same effect but placed on powers like Growth and Density Increase. One of my players has a character with 25pts of Density Increase that is O END/Persistant. However he can't just turn off the power at a moments notice, it goes away at 5 active points per turn just like the Adjustment powers. Now I could only relate this to Always On limitation which is -1/2. So I figured if it was a delayed turn off it would only be worth a -1/4. Whatcha think?

PS: For clarity turning on the power is instant like normal, not a gradual build up.

Re: Always On Limitation: I need a Variant

Most Adjustment powers when turned on give a return of 5 active points per turn. What I need is that same effect but placed on powers like Growth and Density Increase. One of my players has a character with 25pts of Density Increase that is O END/Persistant. However he can't just turn off the power at a moments notice, it goes away at 5 active points per turn just like the Adjustment powers. Now I could only relate this to Always On limitation which is -1/2. So I figured if it was a delayed turn off it would only be worth a -1/4. Whatcha think?

PS: For clarity turning on the power is instant like normal, not a gradual build up.

The -1/4 sounds pretty reasonable to me. It is not really a huge disadvantage unless the character in question needs to do things like board airplanes at a moment's notice.

Even at the -1/4 you are going to have to do some work to have situations come up in the game often enough to make it worth the points.

KA.

At first glance, I was going to say that it was a -0 Limitation. After all, how annoying is it to have extra density?

After all, if he looks the same, weighing 32 times normal (or less) isn't going to collapse the floor really (you'll have to wait on using elevators, scales, etc.) He's actually better prepared for battle right afterwards since he still have some of his defense and strength.

I might give him the -1/4 if he's strange looking when in hero form (green or stone skin). Now, that's annoying. But if that's the case then he's probably got Distinctive Features that are hard to conceal rather than a limitation. If he whines that he's not getting the points, point to the DF.

I would have given a completely different answer if it was 25 points of Growth.

If the -1/4 works for you, go for it.

Our group has adopted a 1/8 scale for things like this situation: limitations that are really just sort of 'inconveniences' and Advantages that are little more than 'nifty' in most cases.

Were I creating your power for our campaing, the Always On would probably net a -1/8, all things considered.

If it's gradual to turn on and gradual to turn off' date=' there's always 'Gradual effect' to make it come up or go down over the course of a turn (or longer.) I think it's a -1/4 lim for a turn.[/quote']

I think this is the right answer - I'd allow -1/4 if it requires the same power up and power down time. Otherwise, it's just flavour.

I might consider allowing it -1/4 "as is", but only if I were prepared to really put the effort into realistically assessing the pressure the character's feet (supporting 3.2 tonnes at full density) will place on materials under him - ie expect to fall through the floor, get your feet stuck in hot asphalt and/or dirt regularly, etc. In a four colour campaign, that kind of realism is generally ignored in favour of Four Colour Physics, so the loss of genre flavour would normally make me unwilling to do this.

Is it just slow to turn off, or on as well?

One option I was thinking of was just to buy 5 points of DI/Growth with 0END/Persistant, and then buy a Continuous Aid that is also 0 END/Persistant with Self Only that feeds these Powers. To make the character normal size and density when completely off, give him a Physical Limitation that makes him 4.5ft tall and taking +3 KB. (worth 10 points, or 5 point if it is just DI or just Growth). The Physical Lim and the base DI/Growth would cancel each other out, leaving a normal height/mass character. When it turn on the Aid, he'll grow to full height and density in a few phases, and when he turns it off, he'll shrink back down at 5 points per turn.

One option I was thinking of was just to buy 5 points of DI/Growth with 0END/Persistant, and then buy a Continuous Aid that is also 0 END/Persistant with Self Only that feeds these Powers. To make the character normal size and density when completely off, give him a Physical Limitation that makes him 4.5ft tall and taking +3 KB. (worth 10 points, or 5 point if it is just DI or just Growth). The Physical Lim and the base DI/Growth would cancel each other out, leaving a normal height/mass character. When it turn on the Aid, he'll grow to full height and density in a few phases, and when he turns it off, he'll shrink back down at 5 points per turn.

Good idea, DR. You could probably also just define him with a Growth/DI that is zero levels for 1 point (since the minimum cost of any Power is 1; replace this with the minimum cost if any is imposed for the campaign). Then you don't have to go through all the hassle of Disadvantages used only to cancel things, etc. The Aid becomes the main Power then. :)

• 2 weeks later...

is there a limitation to the amount of DI or GI like a limit to how much one can grow into? or is it limited by aid? would succor work as well?

I was going to simply say 'What KA. said' (Hey, KA. long time no hear) - and others, but I do like Dust Raven's idea.

My own input is I've wondered if we couldn't use Subtractors (like Adders, but limiting) for minor effects and nuisance stuff like this.

Hell, the other way is build it as a disadvantage: physical limtiation: powers slow to turn off.probably worth 5 or even 10 points if it comes up a lot (if you are falling that extra density could be a really bad thing :))

is there a limitation to the amount of DI or GI like a limit to how much one can grow into? or is it limited by aid? would succor work as well?

The maximum Active Points available would be inherently limited by the maximum effect of the Aid or Succor.