Base with Disguise, but not Concealment

ScotMartin

According to the rules on bases, a base is easy to locate and easy to recognize by default. Concealment keeps it from being easy to locate and Disguise keeps it from being easy to recognize.

I can picture a base with Concealment, but without Disguise (a giant military structure hidden in the dense jungle for example), but I'm having trouble understanding how a base would be easy to locate, but hard to recognize.

The best example I can think of is maybe someone trying to look for the base could pin it down to an x-mile area, but then couldn't recognize it within that area unless they beat the Disguise skill. Is that about right?

Thanks for the help,

-Scot

Re: Base with Disguise, but not Concealment

Yeah, I think you're on the right track. Think of a VIPER nest or some other sort of covert base, particularly in an urban setting. You might be able to determine somehow (monitoring broadcast signals, trailing bank transactions, etc.) that the enemy base is located down in the West Bottoms, but since on the exterior, the base looks like any other run-down building in the area, you have a hard time discerning which is the enemy's secret base, and which are just really run down buildings.

The way I see disguise, is a front to a building. Picture a base hidden away in the urban city as an abandoned Firehouse. Now you have a base that is hard to recognize, because it doesn't screem Criminal Enterprise.

In our Champions Universe, the team my character is involved with actually uses an old Police Station. It is their public base, but my character has a secret base in a different section of the city as an old firehouse.

Just picture your evil criminal enterprise ran from a Mom and Pop's corner Deli!

Just curious...are you familiar with the Safe House bar/restaurant in Milwaukee? ;)

No, never been there. But I keep on thinking about a little delicatessan that has italian roots, that could easily be a front :)

I am sure there are a dozen variations to get the disguise just right.

No' date=' no: the idea is something that DOESN'T scream "evil".[/quote']

Oh, come on - you're a hero. Surely a Starbucks would be too obvious for a criminal mastermind bent on world domination, right? That makes it the perfect hiding place.

Hrm. . . .I'm thinking of actually building an evil base. Have a big sign out front called "Bad Guys, Inc". The front operation could be as a bodyguard/security agency, with the tagline "Whether you need to rent a thug or a goon, we can help you out!" That helps explain all the police scanners, the body armor, the weapons, the steady stream of interchangable thugs, etc. As an extra plus, the villains can donate heavily to the community, using some of their guys to supplement the neighborhood watch, offering mentoring programs, doing litter and debris patrol, repainting peoples houses, etc - all so they might get advance warning that the local Super Squadron Supreme has been sneaking around, asking silly questions.

Hrm. . . .I'm thinking of actually building an evil base. Have a big sign out front called "Bad Guys' date=' Inc". The front operation could be as a bodyguard/security agency, with the tagline "Whether you need to rent a thug or a goon, we can help you out!" That helps explain all the police scanners, the body armor, the weapons, the steady stream of interchangable thugs, etc. As an extra plus, the villains can donate heavily to the community, using some of their guys to supplement the neighborhood watch, offering mentoring programs, doing litter and debris patrol, repainting peoples houses, etc - all so they might get advance warning that the local Super Squadron Supreme has been sneaking around, asking silly questions.[/quote']

MINE!!!

I'm stealing this. It's just too good to pass up. I want to see the looks on the players' faces when they finally crack down on VIPER and eliminate their strongest nest in the city... and crime goes up 50% because there are no more visible security volenteers monitoring the streets. :eg:

Just curious...are you familiar with the Safe House bar/restaurant in Milwaukee? ;)

I love that place, a well disguised hideout to be sure. :)

During the Giffen years, there was a bar seen in the pages of the JLI called The Dark Side where various villains hung out...

MINE!!!

I'm stealing this. It's just too good to pass up. I want to see the looks on the players' faces when they finally crack down on VIPER and eliminate their strongest nest in the city... and crime goes up 50% because there are no more visible security volenteers monitoring the streets. :eg:

It's actually available as a franchise. Simply talk it over with your local VIPER leader to see how you too can set up such a safehouse. VIPER already has all the necessary Bad Guys Inc promotional materials for your use.

(Hey, anyone out there have the artistic skills to actually make a Bad Guys Inc flyer?)

Hrm. . . .I'm thinking of actually building an evil base. Have a big sign out front called "Bad Guys' date=' Inc". The front operation could be as a bodyguard/security agency, with the tagline "Whether you need to rent a thug or a goon, we can help you out!" That helps explain all the police scanners, the body armor, the weapons, the steady stream of interchangable thugs, etc. As an extra plus, the villains can donate heavily to the community, using some of their guys to supplement the neighborhood watch, offering mentoring programs, doing litter and debris patrol, repainting peoples houses, etc - all so they might get advance warning that the local Super Squadron Supreme has been sneaking around, asking silly questions.[/quote']

rep.png

(Hey, anyone out there have the artistic skills to actually make a Bad Guys Inc flyer?)

I'm currently enrolled in a computer information systems class, which right now is covering all the fun formatting tools in MS Word 2003. I'll need a bit of inspiration for what to include, but I can probably whip something up rather quicky.

MINE!!!

I'm stealing it too!

Good thing about non-corporial stuff; more than one person can steal it. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Base with Disguise, but not Concealment

Okay, thinking this through.....

Base has NO concealment, but has disguise.

No concealment means that if you are looking for it, you find it.

But disguise means that once you find it, you don't recognize it.

Reminds me of the House Absolute - "It is the place where it is."

Just because you found it, doesn't mean you KNOW you found it. Or what you found.

It could be like the hidden torture chamber in The Princess Bride - they had no problem finding the right clearing (just follow the Sound of Ultimate Suffering) but finding the right tree, and then finding how to open the secret door in the tree, was a challenge.

Or it could be like what's been described - you KNOW the secret hidden Viper base is in this neighborhood, but you can't go searching the basement of every one of a hundred private residences....

Ideally, the way to do this would involve the players coming to the right place more than once, and thinking they had been misdirected and confused, because they "didn't find it there."

Lucius Alexander

Distinctive Features - always accompanied by a palindromedary.