Finally, I bought the game! Only one problem...

orinmoon

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Finally, I bought the game! Only one problem...

Erm, sorry, but yes. FH is the genre book. HERO system has the actual rules.

However, you could save yourself a few pennies by:

- picking up 5th edition on Ebay. We're now on 5th revised, which is a superior product, but there are few substantial changes

- picking up Sidekick, which is basically HERO 5th lite. You can pick it up as PDF for just seven measily dollars :D

Phil

Sounds very illegal and just took money from DoJ's pockets. It's sites like that which are helping to drive Hero Games out of business again.

There's some irony in committing a crime in pursuit of playing a Superhero game.

I'd shell out the lousy 7 bucks and buy SideKick.

PS: I'm sure Steve Long would appreciate a Pmail advising him of the site so he can consider a "cease & desist".

There's some irony in committing a crime in pursuit of playing a Superhero game.

I'd shell out the lousy 7 bucks and buy SideKick.

PS: I'm sure Steve Long would appreciate a Pmail advising him of the site so he can consider a "cease & desist".

I just sent him one.

Guest bblackmoor

I didn't know you need the Hero System handbook! Man' date=' please tell me you don't need it that much! Please tell me it already has the basics of everything![/quote']

Goofy, isn't it? Join the club. It gets even better: "Fantasy Hero" not only doesn't include the Hero game rules, it doesn't include the setting for playing a fantasy game, either. If you just want to run a fantasy game using Hero System, you don't need "Fantasy Hero" at all. How much sense does that make? :)

On the bright side, once you do figure out what books you actually need to buy, the current Hero Games product line (with the notable exception of the Hero System book itself) are the best that Hero Games has ever published. So hang in there, it gets better.

Guest bblackmoor

Sounds very illegal and just took money from DoJ's pockets. It's sites like that which are helping to drive Hero Games out of business again.

Not having seen the site in question, I can't give an opinion on it. However, I think it's reasonable to say that the current tactic of splitting up Champions into multiple books and bloating Hero System up to over twice its former size is at least a little to blame to any difficulties they might be having in convincing people to part with their money. That's the feedback I hear, anyway.

Not having seen the site in question' date=' I can't give an opinion on it. However, I think it's reasonable to say that the current tactic of splitting up Champions into multiple books and bloating Hero System up to over twice its former size is at least a [i']little[/i] to blame to any difficulties they might be having in convincing people to part with their money. That's the feedback I hear, anyway.

Possibly, but there's nothing which can be done about that now. There is something which can be done about a website which might be violating Hero Games' copyrights.

Guest bblackmoor

There is something which can be done about a website which might be violating Hero Games' copyrights.

"Might" is a heavily fraught word. Personally, I wouldn't go around accusing someone of a crime without having seen the evidence of it myself. For all we know, the aforementioned site doesn't violate Hero Games' copyright at all. I do not subscribe to the media robber barons' propaganda that "no use" = "fair use".

"Might" is a heavily fraught word. Personally' date=' I wouldn't go around accusing someone of a crime without having seen the evidence of it myself. For all we know, the aforementioned site doesn't violate Hero Games' copyright at all. I do not subscribe to the media robber barons' propaganda that "no use" = "fair use".[/quote']

The sight in question is for Hero Games to check out and decide upon as far as their policy violation; not your or me. Since neither of us has seen the site any discussions we might have are purely hypothetical and a waste of both of our times. :)

However' date=' I think it's reasonable to say that the current tactic of splitting up Champions into multiple books and bloating Hero System up to over twice its former size is at least a [i']little[/i] to blame to any difficulties they might be having in convincing people to part with their money. That's the feedback I hear, anyway.

I don't hear it. :)

Seriously, I like the splitting up of the books the way it is. I'd hate to shell out money for Champions, Fantasy Hero and Star Hero only to have about 80%of the material be re-printed. And since Hero's main strength lies in game creation, the current strategy works aces for me.

I've encountered virtually no one who has a problem with this. Maybe the gamers are different in your area.

Keith "No problems here" Curtis

Guest bblackmoor

Maybe the gamers are different in your area.

Could be. Or maybe I meet more people who don't already play Champions than you do. Be that as it may, it isn't uncommon for people new to Champions to post such sentiments here on the Hero Games forums. I recall seeing two or three such posts just in the past week or so.

The point being that it's a common response among people who are not already Hero System aficionados.

I will use this time to bring up my sidekick idea again:

Essentialy

Champions Sidekick:

100% compatible with Sidekick (If not all parts that use main rules will have those rules reprinted in the book)

Section on the genre (What it means to be a superhero)

Section on the main setting (Champions Universe overview)

NEW AREA OF INTREST (Bay City, what was rebuilt over oakland and SF)

5-6 PC Characters (The BAY GUARDIANS, a team of heroes)

8-10 Villains (Various supervillains found in the Bay area)

Price it at about $25

Bundle deal with Sidekick $30

Fantacy Sidekick

Star Sidekick

Etc...

Could all follow

I, for one, like the idea that the HERO System is divorced from Champions System as it were. I play Supers maybe half the time.

I bought the BBB and the 4E Hero System book and was slightly annoyed (not much mind, just a bit) that most of "Champions" was just the HERO System renamed. bleh.

Not having seen the site in question' date=' I can't give an opinion on it. However, I think it's reasonable to say that the current tactic of splitting up Champions into multiple books and bloating Hero System up to over twice its former size is at least a [i']little[/i] to blame to any difficulties they might be having in convincing people to part with their money. That's the feedback I hear, anyway.

I don't hear it. I actually have people who used to help chip in from time to time so that I could get more books faster.

Guest bblackmoor

I bought the BBB and the 4E Hero System book and was slightly annoyed (not much mind' date=' just a bit) that most of "Champions" was just the HERO System renamed.[/quote']

You didn't have to buy both books, and there was no reason to do so. Now, people do have to buy both, and the cost has gone up quite a bit since then. Imagine how annoyed newcomers to Hero are. You could have saved your money and had a complete game. That option no longer exists for people who would like to play Champions (or any other Hero System game).

I don't expect current Hero Players to get this: most of us (including DOJ) seem to have a blind spot in this area, because we are, after all, already Hero players. Either you get it, or you don't. I'll let it drop.