Marvel Horror Heroes

FenrisUlf

Just wondering if anyone here has noticed that Marvel's released most of their old 70's horror heroes in the Essentials collection. Monster of Frankenstein and Ghost Rider are out, Werewolf by Night will be coming out in a week (though I prefer the later issues where he looks like a werewolf instead of an apeman -- grumble), and they've already got four books covering Tomb of Dracula.

Surely I can't be the only person who remembers those comics -- the Marvel monsters and Conan are what introduced me to comics in the first place.

I've got just a couple of questions for your clever, well-read people:

1) I've been told that Dracula went to pot after the initial run on Tomb. All I can remember is some needlessly gory B&W mags in which Drac basically just lays the undead Transylvanian smackdown on everyone in sight. Not much of a story by my standards. How was Tomb? I only ever read a few of the issues.

2) Am I nuts, or did Marvel ever have a brother-and-sister pair of demonspawn who fought other demons? Well, at least I remember the brother that way; the sister came off as more of a skanky soul-stealing succubus.

Thanks all.

Re: Marvel Horror Heroes

2) Am I nuts, or did Marvel ever have a brother-and-sister pair of demonspawn who fought other demons? Well, at least I remember the brother that way; the sister came off as more of a skanky soul-stealing succubus.

Thanks all.

Damon Helstrom, the Son of Satan, and his younger sister, um, I want to say Lillith, but for some reason I'm thinking that was Dracula's Daugher. Satanna?

1) I've been told that Dracula went to pot after the initial run on Tomb. All I can remember is some needlessly gory B&W mags in which Drac basically just lays the undead Transylvanian smackdown on everyone in sight. Not much of a story by my standards.

Sounds like Hellsing. :D

But then, Hellsing has Nazis, Seras Victoria, and Rip Van Winkle, so it you know its going to be fun.

Guest bblackmoor

Wow, I remember her. She kissed guys and pulled their butterfly-souls out of their mouth, kind of like the salt vampire from the original Star Trek. She and Vampirella were two of the original "bad girls" of comics. I think Vampirella came first, but I encountered Satana first.

Good times...

Damon Helstrom' date=' the Son of Satan, and his younger sister, um, I want to say Lillith, but for some reason I'm thinking that was Dracula's Daugher. Satanna?[/quote'] Daimon Hellstrom (a.k.a. The Son of Satan)...his sister's name was Satana.

As for Dracula...his vampiric daughter's name was indeed Lilith, though not to be confused with the demon called Lilith, who was believed to be the first wife of Adam.

Surely I can't be the only person who remembers those comics -- the Marvel monsters and Conan are what introduced me to comics in the first place.

Can't remember if I discovered Spiderman first or Tomb of Dracula, but they were both about the same time give or take a couple months.

What amazes me on re-reading them now is how much "adult content" they contained, even if a lot of it was only referred to off-camera. Would I let my kids read them today? (Being kid-less, that is fortunately just a rhetorical question.)

bigdamnhero

"I can't keep track of her when she's *not* incorporealy possessing a spaceship."

They are also releasing some new books:

MARVEL ZOMBIES #1 (of 5)

Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN

Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS

Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM

Torn from the pages of Ultimate Fantastic Four! On an Earth shockingly similar to the Marvel Universe’s, an alien virus has mutated all of the world’s greatest super heroes into flesh-eating monsters! It took them only hours to destroy life as we know it—but what happens when they run out of humans to eat?!? Follow their search for more food—and witness the arrival of the Silver Surfer!

32 PGS./T+ SUGGESTED FOR TEENS AND UP ...$2.99

marvelzombies1.jpg

They are also releasing some new books:

MARVEL ZOMBIES #1 (of 5)

Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN

Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS

Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM

Torn from the pages of Ultimate Fantastic Four! On an Earth shockingly similar to the Marvel Universe’s, an alien virus has mutated all of the world’s greatest super heroes into flesh-eating monsters! It took them only hours to destroy life as we know it—but what happens when they run out of humans to eat?!? Follow their search for more food—and witness the arrival of the Silver Surfer!

32 PGS./T+ SUGGESTED FOR TEENS AND UP ...$2.99

marvelzombies1.jpg

I love the concept behind the book ... but maaaan is that creepy stuff! Almost tempted to use something akin to it in my current group ;)

Thanks for all the responses.

Now if I want to know more about Daimon/Son of Satan/Hellstorm/whatever, I just have to wait for a copy of ESSENTIAL SON OF SATAN to get the full story. Though personally I'm pulling for ESSENTIAL TIGRA. She was the main reason I started reading West Coast Avengers; I used to have most of the comics she appeared in, but have since lost them. Suffice to say that she really sent the ol' hormones raging when I was 15 or so. ;)

And does anyone remember how the Tomb of Dracula was handled? Was it a straightforward adventure story, more of a character study, did it connect to the larger Marvel Universe (I seem to recall a story where Dracula tries to make the X-Men's Storm his unholy bride; that lead to a What If? where Wolverine becomes Lord of the Vampires.), or did Dracula's travails happen off in their own little world, the way the Punisher's usually do when he's appearing by himself?

The most I remember now about Dracula was something about a Chinese mad scientist of the brain-in-a-jug variety, and of Dracula's son Janus who got killed.

Thanks for all the responses.

Now if I want to know more about Daimon/Son of Satan/Hellstorm/whatever, I just have to wait for a copy of ESSENTIAL SON OF SATAN to get the full story. Though personally I'm pulling for ESSENTIAL TIGRA. She was the main reason I started reading West Coast Avengers; I used to have most of the comics she appeared in, but have since lost them. Suffice to say that she really sent the ol' hormones raging when I was 15 or so. ;)

And does anyone remember how the Tomb of Dracula was handled? Was it a straightforward adventure story, more of a character study, did it connect to the larger Marvel Universe (I seem to recall a story where Dracula tries to make the X-Men's Storm his unholy bride; that lead to a What If? where Wolverine becomes Lord of the Vampires.), or did Dracula's travails happen off in their own little world, the way the Punisher's usually do when he's appearing by himself?

The most I remember now about Dracula was something about a Chinese mad scientist of the brain-in-a-jug variety, and of Dracula's son Janus who got killed.

As I recall Dracula's stories did connect to those of the larger Marvel Universe now and then, though not really on to much of a regular basis. He did encounter the X-Men as you mentioned and also had a run in or two with the Silver Surfer if I'm not mistaken. He showed up in a Spidey story I'm pretty sure though he never actually faced off with the wall crawler. Dr. Strange of course encountered Drac the most.

Amazing illustration... but this is a hoax' date=' right?[/quote']

NOPE...It's for real.

Here's Wallpaper files of it on Marvel's Website from Marvel Zombies #1, on sale in stores December 7, 2005.

800x600

http://www.marvel.com/wallpaper/fetchimage.htm?id=357&size=sm

1024x768

http://www.marvel.com/wallpaper/fetchimage.htm?id=357&size=med

1080x960

http://www.marvel.com/wallpaper/fetchimage.htm?id=357&size=lg

Marvel Zombies should rock (crosses fingers). they definatly chose the right guy to write it kirkman knows his superheros (invincible) and his zombies(walking dead). teh ultimaet fantastic four story wasnt bad either so we shall see how this goes. hopefully they keep the great art from the original run.

I think I'll be able to pass on MARVEL ZOMBIES. Attack of the mindless flesh-eaters has just never really been my cup of tea, though I hope that those of you looking forward to it don't get disappointed.

I can still remember the horrid hash that was 'WHAT IF... Wolverine became Lord of the Vampires'?, in which the mutants turn every superhuman in NYC into a bloodsucker (The FF, Spidey, Hulk, and even Juggernaut -- how'd they get through his invulnerable skin?), and only the Punisher can save us all by mowing down every superhero in the Marvel Universe. I remember liking it at the time, but now that I've seen what Dracula was really like on his own, it just makes me wince.

I don't remember which one, but I have a comic where Spider-Man and Dracula face off, and Dracula is hands down faster than Spider-Man. If Strange hadn't saved him, it would have been over in a few seconds easy.

~ Mister E

(The FF, Spidey, Hulk, and even Juggernaut -- how'd they get through his invulnerable skin?)

Well, since you asked...

In the past, Juggs has occasionally been shown to be less then invulnerable against magic attacks and weapons made from/with magic. I still remember when Shatterstar shredded the hell out of him with his magical Mojoverse blades. Fortunatly, on that day we also learned that Juggs heals about as fast as the Hulk (ie really damn fast).

Of course, if this were ALWAYS true, then Thor probably would have pasted him with Mjolnir long ago (first time Thor tried the thrown hammer simply bouced off him).